Argyle interested in defender Arkell Jude-Boyd | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle interested in defender Arkell Jude-Boyd

Cdp

Oct 18, 2014
Wrexham
All fair points, but I just don't see it working this way in reality. Would be a brave club to go signing players weeks before a managerial appointment where he inherited, in theory, a squad that he didn't like the look of or couldn't change. May even put people off the role.
But this is the route Hallett and the club have decided to go down. This is the difference between head coach and manager...

As I've stated on another thread Man utd are a perfect example. They wanted a director of football and have mentioned it over the last 10 years without ever recruiting one. As recently as last year they had players in the squad signed by
Fergie
Moyes
Van gall
Mourinho
Solskjaer
And ten Haag

All managers with different ideas of how the game should be played.
Rather than having a DOF and recruitment team calling the shots ensuring they only signed players to match that of 1 philosophy they have a team of players brought in to play 6 different styles/philosophy.

Of course it will be a risk for argyle but again Hallett has said he's happy to take risks, some will work some won't.. That's business. We all have to trust in him and the board.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021
Above makes sense but then raises the question of how much h blame IF should get for the January recruitment. And how much say the Head Coach gets in discarding players
I don't think 'blame" for their recruitment is quite right. Maybe it was misjudgement over the balance of the loan signings but we don't know who else was available. Whilst I can't comment on Sousa (although a player signed from Arsenal by Aston Villa suggests a good player), I don't think it would be fair to say that Gyabi, Phillips and Devine were/are not good enough for the Championship the issue was that they performed, to varying degrees, inconsistently. Was that down to their ability, age/experience, the situation, or the coach? Who knows? Personally I would have all 3 back this year given the option as I am sure they would perform much more consistently if only due to greater exposure to the Championship.

TRA1984

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 4, 2008
Plymouth
Was the only good thing about Torquay last season. People very quick to dismiss without seeing him play.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
All our signings are likely to be underwhelming. We are not in a position to sign well known / experienced players because of our budget.

Not like you oldie to be so optimistic....

Jul 29, 2012
I don't think 'blame" for their recruitment is quite right. Maybe it was misjudgement over the balance of the loan signings but we don't know who else was available. Whilst I can't comment on Sousa (although a player signed from Arsenal by Aston Villa suggests a good player), I don't think it would be fair to say that Gyabi, Phillips and Devine were/are not good enough for the Championship the issue was that they performed, to varying degrees, inconsistently. Was that down to their ability, age/experience, the situation, or the coach? Who knows? Personally I would have all 3 back this year given the option as I am sure they would perform much more consistently if only due to greater exposure to the Championship.
The problem was signing them all at the same time when between them they had little or no experience of league football , let alone Championship football with us being involved in a relegation scrap .It was an unfair expectation as they were replacing loan players who all had significant loan experience before they joined us . Gyabi , Phillips and Devine have all left as better players but I wouldn’t necessarily rush to re- sign all of them .

Reactions: green pants

Mark Smith

🎫 ST Donor 🎫
⚽️ Player Sponsor ⚽️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
I think the discussion about who can or will sign new players is missing the player's perspective. Unless someone is desperate for a contract they will want to know who the "gaffer" will be (coach/manager call them what you will).

Imagine signing for a club and they then appoint the guy who froze you out of his team a few years ago.

At the very most, ND will have a list of names and the new man will have some ideas too (or a chunk of his last squad...).

Reactions: pafcdje