Bigger accomplishment than last year? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Bigger accomplishment than last year?

Jan 27, 2006
I'd say its a massive achievement considering what went on over the season but last year was a bigger. What Ipswich have gone on to do today only serves to underscore how well we did keeping them behind us.

Reactions: David Doidge

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
A big achievement today but no, not for me, last season was something else, the fact that we held off Ipswich (who have now gone on to win promotion to the PL) was incredible.

Mexijan1

🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽
✅ Evergreen
Jul 17, 2023
At the start of the season thought it was going to be a tough ask staying up but with all the turmoil off the pitch, player turn over in Jan, some of the refereeing decisions and injuries tough got tougher. Add to that 51pts required to stay up and I think this Year has been one hell of an achievement. Difficult to compare to last season but if pushed yes a bigger accompishment against the odds.

Reactions: Chip green
Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
Wow two seasons both fantastic for different reasons.
Last year was amazing and this year funny enough after today i feel just as amazing.
Take nothing away from this achievement, some of the teams we beat their finances blow ours out of the water. The teams with the "parachute payments" have such a massive advantage over us.
But now we have shown investors, what we are doing, brickfields, fan zones, community action. We have shown potential players that we are not a one season wonder. I bet a few potential signings in the summer thought Argyle, pfft will be reglegated by Christmas.

So for me looking at the whole picture this is up there with last year.

Reactions: David Doidge
Jul 31, 2009
Plymouth
Not even close, I don’t think we should have even been in this position today.

We need to get rid of the “lucky just to be here” attitude (respectfully).
We should have been bottom. League positions are 90% determined by budget. To achieve 4th worst with the worst budget is an amazing achievement.
Lucky to be here? Depends what you think lucky means.
We're incredibly lucky that we have a brilliant chairman and CEO. The club has never been this well run;EVER!!!
No business makes zero mistakes. How you deal with them is key. We've obviously dealt with them well enough in the present moment.
Now it's time to take those learnings and make fewer mistakes next season.
Oh, and get multi millionaire investors in. Now that would be lucky!

Mar 1, 2008
It felt like we had the rub of the green for most of last season.

This season was the complete opposite. Everything that could have gone against did. And we've somehow against all odds managed to achieve it.

Reactions: leedann

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
It felt like we had the rub of the green for most of last season.

This season was the complete opposite. Everything that could have gone against did. And we've somehow against all odds managed to achieve it.

This. Just astonishing bad luck from refereeing decisions, to personnel departures, to other results never going our way.

And we still did it. With the lowest budget in the league.

Oct 31, 2022
This. Just astonishing bad luck from refereeing decisions, to personnel departures, to other results never going our way.

And we still did it. With the lowest budget in the league.

Exactly this. Without all of that, and perhaps even a slice of luck here and there, I think we'd have spent half the season saying "I wonder if we can nick a play-off spot". We never would've, but that's what we do as fans!

I think that's why this survival feels so justified to me. It would've been daylight robbery for us to go down.

But the Championship is a mad league and if we didn't already have enough evidence to prove it, the fact that Blackburn survived relegation by beating the champions away on the final day, says it all. If they'd lost the most likely game to lose, they would've gone down, despite having the leagues golden boot winner.

MADNESS.

Reactions: Pilgrim Sean

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Football Pundits doubted we would win League 1- well we proved them wrong with 101 points & this season Pompey won League 1 with a lower points tally

Football Pundits said we would get relegated & Birmingham would stay up - we proved them wrong again

This season was always about staying up - we achieved it & the one massive achievement for me was that in the entire EFL Championship season we were never in the bottom 3 - this despite the fact December through to 01/04/24 we had heartbreak,sadness,anger,despair as we were unravelling with no end in sight

Our comfy slippers & boys galvanised for the final 7 games & the game against Leicester showed the boys still had it regardless of 87 days when they endured putting their creativity,flair,sass in a little box in the back of their minds

Last season was the thrill of the chase & showing the Tractor Boys & the Owls we were not going to relinquish top spot

This season was all about "Staying Alive", "I get knocked down- but i get up again"

We achieved it & it feels awesome 💚💚

Sep 12, 2023
Helluva achievement staying up, said before season started would bite your hand off for 21st position, hope all lessons have been learnt and hopefully we get over the second season syndrome.