Sky new TV deal & kick-off times | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sky new TV deal & kick-off times

Dec 9, 2012
As a ST holder living 280 miles from Plymouth, it can be a pain and for me, I cannot get to every match but then, I sell my ticket back and hey ho .. jobs a goodun. I can now prioritise which matches to go to and pretty much get to whatever away match I want to. For the last match, I left home at 6.00am ... but was back for 8.30pm. When its a 3.00pm kickoff, I leave home 8.30am but back at 11.30pm and for an evening kick off ... I get back in the middle of the night.
That is great commitment! I would be interested to know what the longest regular 'commute' to Argyle is.

The 'buy back' scheme is brilliant, and definitely makes having a ST a sensible option.

I wouldn't fancy a 560 mile return drive - if that's how you travel. My round trip is 400 miles, and is a pain on the train, with several changes, and is a much longer journey time than by car.

I am lucky in that each game I go to is also a social occasion, so actually staying in Plymouth is a big part of it.

I guess the time will come when It becomes more difficult - until then I will enjoy the ride!

Reactions: Steamer

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
That is great commitment! I would be interested to know what the longest regular 'commute' to Argyle is.

The 'buy back' scheme is brilliant, and definitely makes having a ST a sensible option.

I wouldn't fancy a 560 mile return drive - if that's how you travel. My round trip is 400 miles, and is a pain on the train, with several changes, and is a much longer journey time than by car.

I am lucky in that each game I go to is also a social occasion, so actually staying in Plymouth is a big part of it.

I guess the time will come when It becomes more difficult - until then I will enjoy the ride!
Me and Mrs S drive down. Worse time was the Norwich match when my (I think it was my) alternator belt snapped due to an oil leak that the previous mechanic didn't sort out. Anyway, stuck at Roborough. My rescue company abandoned me and I had to take out an RAC signup. Anyway, that cost me £900 and it took 30 hours for the RAC to get me home ... At least we won so mustn't grumble...

Dec 9, 2012
Me and Mrs S drive down. Worse time was the Norwich match when my (I think it was my) alternator belt snapped due to an oil leak that the previous mechanic didn't sort out. Anyway, stuck at Roborough. My rescue company abandoned me and I had to take out an RAC signup. Anyway, that cost me £900 and it took 30 hours for the RAC to get me home ... At least we won so mustn't grumble...
What a stoic! I would certainly grumble - probably considerably less than Mrs Exile in similar circumstances!

With the relative tedium of the close season, when very little will be happening(!), Mr and Mrs Steamer's horrific journey should be the first entry on a whole new thread:

''When the Journey to Argyle Went Horribly Wrong''

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
What a stoic! I would certainly grumble - probably considerably less than Mrs Exile in similar circumstances!

With the relative tedium of the close season, when very little will be happening(!), Mr and Mrs Steamer's horrific journey should be the first entry on a whole new thread:

''When the Journey to Argyle Went Horribly Wrong''
Fortunately for Mrs S, she wasn't with me that time. I drove down by myself and met a mate who fortunately picked me up and returned me to said car in Roborough but yes, a bit of an epic ...

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I would ask people who buy ST's but use them very seldom that they contribute to the Pasoti ST system.

We have a couple of decent folks who put the ST's in their names but transfer the 'rights' to PASOTI. Quite simply we add them to our ST Bank and when the holders want to attend, they ask us to hold them, and for the games they DO want to attend, they contact Posty and he simply gets the ticket put in the ST holders name at the Ticket Office. This would be a bit fiddly for a 50/50 type ST holder, but for those that want a ST (to help PAFC) yet only attend (say) 6 games per season, our ST system helps out people that couldn't ordinarily go to match (cost, work etc).

If anyone want to contact PL2 3DQ or I about this, please PM us. (y)

Reactions: Greentimmo
With the new deal will Sky now provide a decent quality picture to their standard user as the current picture quality is quite frankly abysmal. Not that I ever watch Argyle games on Sky, ATV for me if I can't attend, far superior picture quality, no Prutton, McGoldrick or Hendrie and Argyle get some revenue.

My question is, do Sky purposely broadcast to standard users in fuzzy vision in order to try and tempt you to subscribe to their HD channels and pay more. If you don't think there is a discernible difference then watch a game on Sky and a game on the BBC (both non-HD) and compare the quality, I literally go and clean my glasses when a Sky game is on the telly and then realise it makes no difference to the blurry players running around.

I might sometimes be over cynical, but even my mother (who is 80) when round for lunch last week asked why the picture was so poor! Don't even start me on the picture quality on the Red Button, an everyday run of the mill smart-phone would provide a better picture!!

Reactions: metroace