who would be your choice of available managers? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

who would be your choice of available managers?

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
If Sheridan were to go (which I doubt will happen and I hope it doesn't happen) then I think it's a difficult one.

Warnock is a possibility of course. But what if he says 'actually I quite like retired life, getting up at half-nine and not running to a cold training ground'. I'm not convinced Sturrock would necessarily be a good option. He might be but he may just as well not. Look at Dalgish at Liverpool- sometimes formerly good managers just slip away from their best. Probably the worst two jobs he's ever done in football (us 2 + Southend) are his most recent too. It may work out this time but I wouldn't bank on it. And I wouldn't want to see him destroy the legacy of his first spell even further after his dire second spell.

So who else is there? O' Driscoll? He did atrociously at Bristol City but has had far more good spells than he's had bad. I'd be delighted if he was ever our manager. Martin Ling? He's had a few health problems which have got in his way but he says he's back to his best now and has done a fair job in all three clubs he's ever been with. Martin Allen? Not pretty, not often long-term but usually effective at least. Aidy Boothroyd? Paul Ince?

Tisdale? If Oxford or Pompey can't afford to buy him out of his Exeter deal, I doubt we realistically can.

Coughlan/Lee Hodges/Wotton/Branston alongside an experienced mentor is always a tough one. They could be one of the next great football league managerial talents but they may also be the next Carl Fletcher or Chris Hargreaves who flops big time. There's just no way of knowing.

On the whole, when you look at it, I think sticking with Sheridan may be one of the least problematic options. So long as we make the necessary tweaks to the club/coaching set up anyway.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I think it's a slight mockery to be naming other managers to come in when we still have one.

Fair enough calling for his head but keep it real FFS.

C

Cobi Budge.

I wouldn't mind appointing Tisdale, get rid of some dead wood and pump some extra wages his way.

Tisdale is a brilliant tactical manager, Exeter didn't have the best side when he got them promoted, they were simply motivated, organised and effective.

Tisdale is currently working with a bunch of crap at Exeter, we have a much better squad than them, yet Tisdale can outwit Sheridan with ease.

Think he could do wonders with this team, honestly believe that.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
gaspargomez":omoqeu3q said:
Yet another example of a legitimate thread being moved from the main board because it didn't fit in with the personal opinion of the administrator.

I understand the need for editing, but sometimes I see over-zealous meddling.
I actually agree 100% with you gasper. You're edging towards my pasoti team of the season - will be published before last game. Position ????

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
GreenSam":jqbvrtm4 said:
I'm not convinced Sturrock would necessarily be a good option...Probably the worst two jobs he's ever done in football (us 2 + Southend)

but they may also be the next Carl Fletcher or Chris Hargreaves who flops big time. There's just no way of knowing
Sturrock did well at Southend i thought? put a team together on no/very little money and got them challenging for the play-offs and got them into a cup final last season

Think it's a bit harsh calling Fletcher and Hargreaves flops also, Fletcher achieved miracles in his first season and although unable to push on in the second year flop seems unfair after what he managed, also Hargreaves would have needed to perform miracles to keep that Torquay side up, they're playing decent football and the results overall as far as i can remember have been better than they were under Knill, next season i can see him doing well there if given the chance.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Argy1e":1bcfs0dn said:
GreenSam":1bcfs0dn said:
I'm not convinced Sturrock would necessarily be a good option...Probably the worst two jobs he's ever done in football (us 2 + Southend)

but they may also be the next Carl Fletcher or Chris Hargreaves who flops big time. There's just no way of knowing
Sturrock did well at Southend i thought? put a team together on no/very little money and got them challenging for the play-offs and got them into a cup final last season

Think it's a bit harsh calling Fletcher and Hargreaves flops also, Fletcher achieved miracles in his first season and although unable to push on in the second year flop seems unfair after what he managed, also Hargreaves would have needed to perform miracles to keep that Torquay side up, they're playing decent football and the results overall as far as i can remember have been better than they were under Knill, next season i can see him doing well there if given the chance.
Fair points on Fletcher and Hargreaves although I don't think the results have been much different to Knill's. Agreed about Fletch though.

I don't actually think Sturrock did do well at Southend. Yes he had to build a team from scratch but he had to build a team from scratch with a fair wedge of money. He had a large squad, a high calibre of playing staff for league two and their budget was pretty much reported as being fairly large for this league. They were in trouble before he came and yes he didn't have many players when he arrived but his wage outlay was reasonable if not better than that and for me not to get promoted within three seasons isn't a successful spell. It isn't catastrophic but it's not good. It's actually quite like Sheridan's spell here imo- in many ways. Arrived at the club off the back of financial trouble but then had a decent budget and if we don't go up within three seasons he's failed.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Cobi Budge.":26mkvebi said:
Tisdale is a brilliant tactical manager.

He may have done pretty well getting Exeter promoted but I can't see that there is any real evidence that he is 'a brilliant tactical manager'.

Feb 21, 2011
The Doctor":37tilec9 said:
Cobi Budge.":37tilec9 said:
Tisdale is a brilliant tactical manager.

He may have done pretty well getting Exeter promoted but I can't see that there is any real evidence that he is 'a brilliant tactical manager'.
It's been said that Steve Perryman was the real brains in the city set up, Exeters performances have tailed off a touch since he took a more hands off back seat role due to illness I think.

GreenSam":3lzwudjh said:
So who else is there? O' Driscoll? He did atrociously at Bristol City but has had far more good spells than he's had bad. I'd be delighted if he was ever our manager.
Very good at Bournemouth, good at Doncaster, 'meh' but generally considered to have been sacked too early at Nottingham Forest but terrible at Bristol City.

Only two years ago did the Middle Eastern owners of Forest think he was the man to take them to the Premier League. Not great since then, but he'd be the first man I'd turn to if we were to get rid of Sheridan.

Give Sheridan until Christmas. If we're not in play-off contention at least, it's time to get rid and I'd turn to O'Driscoll.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Confused by this thread.

Firstly, can't see Sheridan going anywhere.

Secondly, title is available managers - e.g. managers who are not employed, therefore, references to Tisdale etc are irrelevant as they are not available.

Apr 30, 2011
If we sacked JS my bet would be that the best available manager who would be interested in the job would be - JS.