David Norris | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

David Norris

Jul 11, 2006
Germany
Have a funny feeling we will be seeing David Norris in a green shirt again during the course of this season.

Total chaos at Leeds. Sacked another manager today after the final whistle.
Sheridan has close links with the Elland Road club where Norris has been totally out of favour for a while. Chuck is contracted till summer 2015.

Ideally, we would only have to stump up part of his wages too.
Also, he is close to our goalkeeper apparently.

It makes sense at least to me.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Why would Sheridan care if Norris is best mates with Luke or that he played for Argyle in the past? JS will only want players that JS wants regardless of history.

E

Ed_Blackburn

I have absolutely no idea if he's up to scratch anymore. May take him a while to get up to speed if he's not been playing. I would also like to see us blood Allen, Harvey and Lane ahead of a veteran. Perhaps Wotton / Sheridan could see him being a positive influence around the squad and doing some coaching?

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
As it goes he was on the box with a rare apperance for the first team a few weeks back where he got an assist, he sure as hell looked as if he "still has it" to me and would give my right arm to see him return as would anyone who saw him play that day but doubt it would happen. No harm in a bit of wishful thinking though.

Jul 2, 2014
With a winning line up and depth on the bench, I'm not sure why we need him. In central midfield, we have Cox, Norburn, Tyler, and River Allen pressing for playing time. On the left of mid we have wither Banton or, when fit, Purrington, or Thomas, and we have even played Marvin there. Seems to me that bringing in Norris (and I rate him and still think that he is an excellent player) may just add stress to a squad that is getting the job done.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
My heart says yes please absolutely. My head is pessimistic, both over the chances of his return and of whether he's still got the ability he showed a few years back. Seems like a good way to ruin a reputation to me.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
Heard Norris wanted to come back last year and Argyle were keen for him to do so but Sheridan said no.

Hopefully situation is different now.

P

Paul_Roberts

I've got extremely fond memories of Norris, as we all have, and from what I've heard he sounds like a thoroughly decent bloke. But I don't think I could welcome a player back to the club who was once so desperate to leave that he threatened to go on strike.

Plus, as others have said, why bring in a veteran when we've got a clutch of bright young midfielders looking for an opportunity? Sheridan has very deliberately lowered the average age of the squad, and I cant see him being interested.

Jul 29, 2010
Quintrell_Green":2s3yhpns said:
Norris would no longer meet JS's preferred age profile for the team.

This.

As much as I'd love to see that legend grace Home Park again I fully agree with the gaffers policy.

For far too long in the lower leagues club's have gone with the 'mix of youth and experience' route. Trouble is, whilst it's an appealing soundbite, in truth you end up with 'clueless but energetic mixed with wise but immobile'. It's also quite a cheap option as at both ends of a players career their wage expectations are considerably reduced.

The gamble of youth and the 'one last hurrah' set is a very inconsistent mix, whereas taking players predominately in their peak years gives you sufficient fitness and sufficient experience. They're more likely to blend as their physical abilities match and their more likely to bond as they're all at the same point in life.

Apr 1, 2009
Norris's great strength was his "engine" - he never stopped! Take that away and you lose a lot of his value. Does he still have that energy so many years on?

There is this obsession amongst Argyle fans for re-signing past players. Norris would be way above some of the names mentioned, but I'm not convinced. As others have said we have a youngish team with the majority still (hopefully) to reach their potential. Is the injection of a 30-something who hasn't played much in the last 2 years the way forward? To me this is based too much on nostalgia, and not enough on today's needs.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
xmastree":i4jm0wc2 said:
Norris's great strength was his "engine" - he never stopped! Take that away and you lose a lot of his value. Does he still have that energy so many years on?

There is this obsession amongst Argyle fans for re-signing past players. Norris would be way above some of the names mentioned, but I'm not convinced. As others have said we have a youngish team with the majority still (hopefully) to reach their potential. Is the injection of a 30-something who hasn't played much in the last 2 years the way forward? To me this is based too much on nostalgia, and not enough on today's needs.
I agree- kind of.

It often is the case that an ex-player comes along who perfectly fits the needs we had at a particular time and whom we would have wanted to sign anyway if not for the past connection. In this bracket, see Wotton, Reid and McCormick.

Norris I feel would not come under that category.

CFG

Jun 21, 2013
X Isle":1bjboipd said:
Quintrell_Green":1bjboipd said:
Norris would no longer meet JS's preferred age profile for the team.

This.

As much as I'd love to see that legend grace Home Park again I fully agree with the gaffers policy.

For far too long in the lower leagues club's have gone with the 'mix of youth and experience' route. Trouble is, whilst it's an appealing soundbite, in truth you end up with 'clueless but energetic mixed with wise but immobile'. It's also quite a cheap option as at both ends of a players career their wage expectations are considerably reduced.

The gamble of youth and the 'one last hurrah' set is a very inconsistent mix, whereas taking players predominately in their peak years gives you sufficient fitness and sufficient experience. They're more likely to blend as their physical abilities match and their more likely to bond as they're all at the same point in life.

Broadly speaking I agree with you, however, if I could add just one type of player to our current squad it would be the ageing midfield maestro. A Lilian Nalis or Steve McCall type player (if only) would add that calmness and know how in the centre of the park. Much as I would like to see him back - I am not sure that Norris is quite that kind of player.