Swimming (Drowning) In Money | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Swimming (Drowning) In Money

Apr 12, 2016
A couple of bits I noted from watching Sky Sports News a short while ago.

1) Current estimated spend by EPL clubs in this transfer window so far with seven days to go is £893,000,000 . 10% of that alone on one player (Pogba). You would assume that it will comfortably pass one billion by the time the window closes.

2) One other factoid, so wealthy is the EPL now that the team that finishes bottom will automatically get a minimum of £97 million in prize money and TV fees this season whereas Real Madrid only collected a 'paltry' £81 million for winning the champions league last year.

Staggering amounts. If only a small bit could trickle down the pyramid.

A

andyr1963

10% on one player :shock:

28% of that went to the agent :sigh: (Not a proven fact, a TalkSport fact, but I have heard similar from other sources of £25M to agent)

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
andyr1963":1kdocyf6 said:
10% on one player :shock:

28% of that went to the agent :sigh: (Not a proven fact, a TalkSport fact, but I have heard similar from other sources of £25M to agent)
I thought it was reported that the figure was 89m before the agent fees.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Still waiting to see the benefits to the England team, which is quite clearly second rate and will be for some time to come I'd imagine. The top clubs are spending the sort of money that could build stadiums every year and only have a few mercenaries to show for it. Meanwhile we have discussions about how clubs are struggling to fulfil fixtures for the first team let alone have comprehensive youth and reserve team football. Sport comes a distant second to money it would seem.

Apr 12, 2016
Green_Matt":2v95b08i said:
Still waiting to see the benefits to the England team, which is quite clearly second rate and will be for some time to come I'd imagine. The top clubs are spending the sort of money that could build stadiums every year and only have a few mercenaries to show for it. Meanwhile we have discussions about how clubs are struggling to fulfil fixtures for the first team let alone have comprehensive youth and reserve team football. Sport comes a distant second to money it would seem.

Yup. For all the apparent wealth there is in the EPL to my mind the game at all levels has never been sicker. It is a league based on transactions and expenditure of massive sums of money. Leicester was a welcome but I expect 'one-off' exception last summer to the rule but other than that it is a game of extreme wealth and it is destroying what we have come to expect from our football at all levels . Ultimately none of this wealth filters down...

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Absurd money.

And now our national keeper and one of our more promising midfielders are deemed surplus to requirements at their clubs and being shipped out on loan to facilitate foreign imports. Hopefully Wiltshire will get some regular football elsewhere and stay fit and show what he can do.

On the flip side, maybe one day we will have some youngsters come through (and play) that are sought after so that we can benefit from that extreme wealth.

Albeit from a German club, Notts Forest have just received £13m for a 19 year old who had played 8 times for them. Crazy!!

Aug 5, 2016
Hart is being dropped because he's not been as good as he used to be, not because he is English. His performance at the Euros was a disaster.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
This whole stinking pile of shyte that is the EPL is beginning to look more and more like an NFL-esque cartel with each passing season. I couldn't give a flying one now about who finishes where in the table (not that I ever could much anyway) but mark my words, I honestly believe that within a decade the gap between the EPL corporates/clubs and the EFL will become so huge in financial terms that a breakaway 'closed shop' league (backed by the parasites at Sky) will come about. No relegation, no promotion just the 20 'top' clubs with their noses in the trough and to hell with the EFL.

Apr 12, 2016
Emeraldinho":3my8dzzv said:
This whole stinking pile of shyte that is the EPL is beginning to look more and more like an NFL-esque cartel with each passing season. I couldn't give a flying one now about who finishes where in the table (not that I ever could much anyway) but mark my words, I honestly believe that within a decade the gap between the EPL corporates/clubs and the EFL will become so huge in financial terms that a breakaway 'closed shop' league (backed by the parasites at Sky) will come about. No relegation, no promotion just the 20 'top' clubs with their noses in the trough and to hell with the EFL.

Absolutely. The EPL is the sporting equivalent of a black hole consuming all in its path. My bet is though that it will be a 36/38 team, two tier franchise system the EPL will adopt and will drain all the available TV and commercial revenue from the game.

I think and fear that in 10/15 years time our national game will look pretty horrible compared to now.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that Sky are paying £10M for every single game shown live under the new deal they've struck with the EPL. £10M!!!! How many EFL clubs would just a single game's fee keep afloat? Absolutely stinks to high heaven and back.

Apr 12, 2016
And EPL transfer spending in this window passed the £1 Billion pound mark today. Sizeable amounts of that money going out of the country.

In addition a lot more money as well going to agents. £200 million based on 20% commission rate. Frightening.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Knibbsworth":3k1r68z0 said:
Hart is being dropped because he's not been as good as he used to be, not because he is English. His performance at the Euros was a disaster.
:iagree:

Feb 23, 2008
Adam_R":m5e0e26o said:
Albeit from a German club, Notts Forest have just received £13m for a 19 year old who had played 8 times for them. Crazy!!

He was with them for 9 or 10 years and made 25 appearances. Most of that fee will be for development and the Germans obviously feel they're 'buying potential'. Plus they've probably had to pay over the odds to get their man so he doesn't move to a big club, then sit in Utd's or Chelsea's reserves and end up back in the championship.

Forest fans are savage with Fawaz for cashing in on him though, I'd read Burke wanted to stay and continue his development.

Seems an odd move to me. Unless he ends up at Bayern or Dortmund I don't see him lasting long over there.