Big Sam and the Telegraph | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Big Sam and the Telegraph

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Lundan Cabbie":v8k7vkct said:
I would like to know the Telegraph's motivation for setting him up. At this moment in time they haven't released anything to show that their sting operation was warranted. I do so hope that they do have stuff on Sam. I'd hate to think they would dangle a carrot for him just so they could knock him down.

Someone in the cab said today that he should have gone because of his greed. How stupid is that? Since when has greed been a sackable offence without breaking any laws? If it were, people would be dismissed for putting themselves forward for more than their fair share of overtime.

I'm actually disappointed with the DT. They should have made what evidence they had on Sam available to the FA when they were selecting the England manager seeing as they say they have been investigating for ten months. Of course doing the right thing comes further down the list than getting the best headlines.

My understanding LC is that the 10 month investigation was not into Big Sam, but instead into corruption in the English game. They didn't actively target Big Sam, they infiltrated a corrupt "ring" of agents, coaches and managers and Big Sam happened to be a part of that.

Don't get me wrong, the journos eyes would have lit up when the England manager came into the fold. A story about a few grand here or there being traded about by some second tier coaches and agents wouldn't have been discussed on such a level. Big Sam's involvement put this story up a notch. I don't see that as a bad thing on the part of the journos as they have been able to expose a few sorry truths within the game, Big Sam et al only have themselves to blame here.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
So they don't actually have anything on Sam apart from him making an offer to a newspaper reporter to give talks to a fictitious company?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Eh?

You wanted to know the motivation for setting up Sam. They didn't. They set up to unearth corruption in the English game. Sam is a part of that.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
So Sam was right. Entrapment won. Despite having nothing on him personally, they set him up. I'm not sure I am comfortable with newspapers dangling carrots without good reason.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
And now that the DT have refused to show their evidence to QPR regarding Hasselbaink which only goes to prove that their motivation was only to sell newspapers and not to remove corruption from the game.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":1vnapai7 said:
And now that the DT have refused to show their evidence to QPR regarding Hasselbaink which only goes to prove that their motivation was only to sell newspapers and not to remove corruption from the game.
Let's get it right LC, the DT haven't refused to hand it over to QPR:

A Telegraph spokesperson has said it remained the newspaper's intention to release the information but that the police had asked to review it first.

City of London Police later confirmed that discussions had already taken place with the Football Association and the Daily Telegraph.

BBC

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Lundan Cabbie":36mw1gsy said:
So they don't actually have anything on Sam apart from him making an offer to a newspaper reporter to give talks to a fictitious company?
Just to check I have watched the tape again. You seem to be overlooking the part of the tape which showed Sam suggesting ways to beat the third-party ownership arrangement. Eliminating deals concerning third-party owned players is one of the FAs flagship policies. After that I don't think the personal attacks on Hodgson and Neville helped his cause. He also criticised the decision to build Wembley stadium. Apart from their team manager, the stadium is probably their second most important concern. It all stank of disloyalty and poor judgement and he probably lost his job on a totting up procedure.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Lundan Cabbie":34eikg7j said:
So Sam was right. Entrapment won. Despite having nothing on him personally, they set him up. I'm not sure I am comfortable with newspapers dangling carrots without good reason.

What do you mean they set him up? They set up a trap to uncover football officials who are either corrupt or into a morally bankrupt rule bend. Big Sam proved himself to be a part of that. They didn't set him up to be a part of it, they investigated corruption and he WAS a part of it. Did they push him in? Or was he already involved? Entrapment my arse. Just exposure.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
SwimWithTheTide":3nbsjlin said:
Lundan Cabbie":3nbsjlin said:

What do you mean they set him up? They set up a trap to uncover football officials who are either corrupt or into a morally bankrupt rule bend. Big Sam proved himself to be a part of that. They didn't set him up to be a part of it, they investigated corruption and he WAS a part of it. Did they push him in? Or was he already involved? Entrapment my arse. Just exposure.

They didn't set him up to be a part of it, they investigated corruption and he WAS a part of it...... but that's the point. They have not released any evidence of any corruption that they (claim) he was involved in. Just a video of their sting operation. What genuine corruption involving Sam within football did they uncover that motivated them to set this trap?

P

Positively Green

From Today's Daily Mail:

"EXCLUSIVE: Secret tax deal for football millionaires - the cosy deals with taxman that save stars millions
Millionaire footballers can cut income tax bills with taxman's secret deal
Premier League stars have been told by HMRC that a fifth of the money they receive from their clubs can be paid into 'image rights' companies
The deal that has been in place for 2 years is thought to be saving millions"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4LohEd0TT

I feel sick. The PL and English football needs to clean up it's act but it appears even HMRC condone and encourage their greedy ways.

Dec 4, 2012
Positively Green":1sou3mtn said:
From Today's Daily Mail:

"EXCLUSIVE: Secret tax deal for football millionaires - the cosy deals with taxman that save stars millions
Millionaire footballers can cut income tax bills with taxman's secret deal
Premier League stars have been told by HMRC that a fifth of the money they receive from their clubs can be paid into 'image rights' companies
The deal that has been in place for 2 years is thought to be saving millions"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4LohEd0TT

I feel sick. The PL and English football needs to clean up it's act but it appears even HMRC condone and encourage their greedy ways.

The loveliness goes on and on.

I'm getting a bit annoyed by this selectivity and greed.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I wouldn't say it's an exclusive deal, the loophole would already have been there. None of us pay taxes that we don't have to. I know it seems obscene when a wealthy person seems to be avoiding payment of their fair share but if they do it legally then fair enough. Our protestations should be to those that set the tax parameters.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Lundan Cabbie":7bkwc94r said:
I wouldn't say it's an exclusive deal, the loophole would already have been there. None of us pay taxes that we don't have to. I know it seems obscene when a wealthy person seems to be avoiding payment of their fair share but if they do it legally then fair enough. Our protestations should be to those that set the tax parameters.

When I was Self Employed I did pay taxes that I didn't have to. I chose not to make my dog a guard dog, make my wife a Secretary, make my car a Company owned lease car, make my garage an office, make my salary low and my company dividend high, etc etc ad infinitum, I took some benefit from the system but I paid more than I had to, I didn't evade at all and avoided a minimal amount. Too much greed and selfishness in this country , too little care for our society.