Pompey Investor | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Pompey Investor

chave

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Mar 15, 2017
According to the Portsmouth vote, it's about 20% that would turn it down. I'd guess that would be a similar amount for most clubs.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Greenskin":32eaid9m said:
BaffinsPompey":32eaid9m said:
Interesting to see opposing fans views on it all.

I suppose, in terms of the Championship not one team lives withing its means techincally - all require significant extra investment on top of gates. There are clubs in that league with much smaller fans bases then Pompey doing well - but they need investment to stay there.

In league 1 it is much the same, we bring in 18,000 fans each home game - which will be by far the biggest crowds in that league next year. But on pure revenue from that it only allows us to pay below average wages for league 1. All/most the other clubs in league 1 are propped up at least to some degree by private investment. so the "all clubs must love to their means" argument is debatable to say the least. If you categorise some afforbale private investment into clubs as "l;iving to means" then yes U agree with you - but 90% of clubs need it these days.

From our perspective well, we already have turned down several offers of interest from parties who were not credible. But Eisner's credibility is pretty first rate, you can track every year of his career and investments, and he comes with a slow and sustained investment plan to move us forward. no fireworks, living to our means as much as possible and growing slowly. NO big transfer fees, more investment in youth and our academy. No over the top wages, more investment in our stadium and facilities. Fans couldn't really choose a more credible invester or a better plan for sensible long term growth.

The alternative? well we need to find an immidiate £5million to make the stadium safe for starters. we could probably do it by putting our hands in our pockets once again. But long term it isn't really viable is it.

There will be no "buying the league" next season. We will stick to an average budget and focus on off the field improvements. I'm more than happy with 2 or 3 seasons in league 1 to get into a better place before we hit the championship, which we will of course eventually. Championship clubs spend tens of millions on wages alone, and we are not ready for that just yet (alebit you never turn down a promotion)

I note all the aggressive messages, "hope it all goes wrong" etc, and I understand your anger to some degree. But ultimately football is about hope and dreams. yes we could trundle along in league 1 for the next 15 years just one fan income, we could even possible jump up another league just on fan income.. but heck you only live once. Are you honestly saying Plymouth would turn down a credible billionaire investing in your club in a sustainable way with long term plans?

We have taken a rigorous and thorough vetting of what seems to be one of the most respected business men I have ever come across. If there was a hint of concern the bid wouldn't have seen the light of day. It is a educated risk, but yes I take your point, ultimately still a risk.

For what it is worth I can see you guys doing well next season, maybe better than us if you keep Carey. Midtable and stabilising in the league is fine for me first year. good luck

Good post and while Pompey have never been among my favourite clubs [may have something to do with a relative of mine nearly getting maimed with a flying piece of concrete at HP in 1983 or travelling back to Plymouth from Fratton park in a windowless coach on an earlier occasion],looks like another rival a la Reading,Hull,Swansea,Bournemouth [FFS!] etc will be overtaking us again in the near future. I genuinely do believe some posters on here would turn down an offer of serious money in the name of the mythical living within our means mantra -astounding to most fans around the country but that would seem to be the way of some psyches more suited to supporting Mrs Miggins pie shop than an ambitious professional football club.

An excellent post from the Pompey fan, and Greenskin is bang on aswell. There is a yokel mindset amongst a lot of Janners, that any prospective big investment ( on the scale of Pompeys) will 100% lead to the liquidation of PAFC. it is precisely that mentality that will see us forever surpassed by the teams GS mentions, and there are quite a few more.

Even in the worst case scenario whereby we terminally implode, there again seems to be the yokel attitude that that would be the end - a doomsday prophecy that is also utter bollocks. Clubs infinitely smaller than PAFC have gone to the wall and bounced back to league status with pretty relative haste, and we are talking about a mythical worst case scenario. Blimey, what if a takeover actually went well!?

All pie in the sky anyway, and for those that wish us to forever be organically run, like Exeter, well - enjoy the yo-yo between League 1&2 forever more because that is what that model delivers.

Aug 18, 2015
Ford Hill Pompey Fan wrote (As for a Pompey fan on an argyle site, i live in the city and take an interest in Argyle. However whereas when i moved here 20 odd years ago i was shocked and surprised by some of the vitriol against Pompey, as i had never seen any particular issues between the clubs.)

May I suggest you locate a copy of the Evening Herald for Monday 16th May 1983. The library would be a start or maybe the Herald offices. You may not be so shocked if and when you read about the weekends events.

Aug 14, 2015
Greencard,
I was at the game mate, I hitched down from Bolton to London on the Friday, the trained it down to Basingstoke early Saturday morning, where i met up with my Dad, a cousin and a mate and drove to Plymouth. It was my first time at HP..and to be fair it was not very nice i agree, 10k Pompey fans, in a pay on the gate situation had us all over the ground-i was in the devonport end, the Hooligan element running around wrecking everything in sight. fights all round the ground.
Obviously i remember Alan Biley's blonde mullet popping in the goal...and the whistle going early...

I have had many conversations about the game/the day, but I'm told Everton did the same, and as i believe Millwall also ran amok here. What i couldnt get was the specific annoyance at PFC, including car stickers declaring a hatred of Pompey..it was weird, i thought i was in Eastleigh, but nothing against Millwall, Everton or to be fare very little against ECFC.

incidentally i have read the papers fro that game too, they were in a book about argyle

Aug 18, 2015
As far I recollect, neither Everton or Millwall fans spray painted the war memorial on the Hoe. Does that help?

May 16, 2016
ford hill POMPEY fan":3pyr0aa1 said:
Greencard,
I was at the game mate, I hitched down from Bolton to London on the Friday, the trained it down to Basingstoke early Saturday morning, where i met up with my Dad, a cousin and a mate and drove to Plymouth. It was my first time at HP..and to be fair it was not very nice i agree, 10k Pompey fans, in a pay on the gate situation had us all over the ground-i was in the devonport end, the Hooligan element running around wrecking everything in sight. fights all round the ground.
Obviously i remember Alan Biley's blonde mullet popping in the goal...and the whistle going early...

I have had many conversations about the game/the day, but I'm told Everton did the same, and as i believe Millwall also ran amok here. What i couldnt get was the specific annoyance at PFC, including car stickers declaring a hatred of Pompey..it was weird, i thought i was in Eastleigh, but nothing against Millwall, Everton or to be fare very little against ECFC.

incidentally i have read the papers fro that game too, they were in a book about argyle

This is what I don't understand about the Pompey upset about the Play Off game here. To me, it seems that Pompey got a bit upset and precious over a load of Janner Herberts dancing on their own pitch celebrating / part goading the team that spent their time in L2 giving the impression of expecting everyone to roll over for them given their air of superiority and assumption of walking to promotion, yet blowing their only chance of going up that season. Yet, the antics that stuck in the mind of some of our older supporters has been dressed up in Blue and possibly Green tinted nostalgia by some.

To some Pompey fans the end to this Season has been 'revenge' (although it took both us and Donny to hand it to them), but they did all they had to do and therefore deserved it. The Facebook and youtube comments on everything Argyle since, was a little classless but we've all got them.

Good luck to them with the new owner, assuming he's as good as protrayed, let's hope it all works out and a steady ascent has begun. It might go wrong big style but like has been said, at least they got the chance.

Aug 14, 2015
Yes greencard, that was naughty, and the majority of Pompey fans would have no truck with that- probably even the hardened 657 of the day would not have agreed to that. I think there was an idiot with a spray tin because Stonehenge and some sheep had PFC sprayed on..i laughed about the sheep i have to admit.. you would think even idiots from a Naval city would have more about them..

E

Electronic

Greenskin":29lpkjsa said:
BaffinsPompey":29lpkjsa said:

I suppose, in terms of the Championship not one team lives withing its means techincally - all require significant extra investment on top of gates. There are clubs in that league with much smaller fans bases then Pompey doing well - but they need investment to stay there.

In league 1 it is much the same, we bring in 18,000 fans each home game - which will be by far the biggest crowds in that league next year. But on pure revenue from that it only allows us to pay below average wages for league 1. All/most the other clubs in league 1 are propped up at least to some degree by private investment. so the "all clubs must love to their means" argument is debatable to say the least. If you categorise some afforbale private investment into clubs as "l;iving to means" then yes U agree with you - but 90% of clubs need it these days.

From our perspective well, we already have turned down several offers of interest from parties who were not credible. But Eisner's credibility is pretty first rate, you can track every year of his career and investments, and he comes with a slow and sustained investment plan to move us forward. no fireworks, living to our means as much as possible and growing slowly. NO big transfer fees, more investment in youth and our academy. No over the top wages, more investment in our stadium and facilities. Fans couldn't really choose a more credible invester or a better plan for sensible long term growth.

The alternative? well we need to find an immidiate £5million to make the stadium safe for starters. we could probably do it by putting our hands in our pockets once again. But long term it isn't really viable is it.

There will be no "buying the league" next season. We will stick to an average budget and focus on off the field improvements. I'm more than happy with 2 or 3 seasons in league 1 to get into a better place before we hit the championship, which we will of course eventually. Championship clubs spend tens of millions on wages alone, and we are not ready for that just yet (alebit you never turn down a promotion)

I note all the aggressive messages, "hope it all goes wrong" etc, and I understand your anger to some degree. But ultimately football is about hope and dreams. yes we could trundle along in league 1 for the next 15 years just one fan income, we could even possible jump up another league just on fan income.. but heck you only live once. Are you honestly saying Plymouth would turn down a credible billionaire investing in your club in a sustainable way with long term plans?

We have taken a rigorous and thorough vetting of what seems to be one of the most respected business men I have ever come across. If there was a hint of concern the bid wouldn't have seen the light of day. It is a educated risk, but yes I take your point, ultimately still a risk.

For what it is worth I can see you guys doing well next season, maybe better than us if you keep Carey. Midtable and stabilising in the league is fine for me first year. good luck

Good post and while Pompey have never been among my favourite clubs [may have something to do with a relative of mine nearly getting maimed with a flying piece of concrete at HP in 1983 or travelling back to Plymouth from Fratton park in a windowless coach on an earlier occasion],looks like another rival a la Reading,Hull,Swansea,Bournemouth [FFS!] etc will be overtaking us again in the near future. I genuinely do believe some posters on here would turn down an offer of serious money in the name of the mythical living within our means mantra -astounding to most fans around the country but that would seem to be the way of some psyches more suited to supporting Mrs Miggins pie shop than an ambitious professional football club.

Agreed. Good luck, Pompey.

Whilst many Argyle supporters seem happy to self-flagellate with austerity, there are others who would welcome the right new owner to move us forward. Otherwise, what?

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Greenskin":1fqh8rjl said:
BaffinsPompey":1fqh8rjl said:

Bringing back memories of my childhood there Greenskin. My first ever away match was for my 10th birthday away to Pompey in 1982, and I was sat on that coach with the broken window. That was a cold trip back home!
I also remember the atmosphere at the 1983 game at Home Park which sealed promotion for Pompey. Very intimidating indeed.
Growing up in the Milehouse area as a kid, it was tradition for the Pompey fans to come and smash up the Britannia every season.
Glad things have moved on a bit since then.