... is more exciting than watching England | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

... is more exciting than watching England

N

NorfolkGreen

Fill in the blanks, what is more exciting than watching the current England football team?

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Clarke_B":20u4hem6 said:
Definitely one thing that isn't more exciting....watching Argyle !

I wouldn't say it's boring being an Argyle fan, just infuriating, depressing, occasionally uplifting, and inexplicably addictive. Hard to say any of that about England - I'd forgotten they were even playing until halfway through the 2nd half.

May 22, 2006
They're an exercise in expectation management. Then again we deserve no better.

Remember when Sven used to get us to the last eight consistently and people still gave him dog's abuse?

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Watching England has become a turgid exercise in disappointment---even tonight with qualification assured no player will take a risk. We all remember going down the pub to watch England--there was always a chance they would screw up but at least it was watchable. One bright spot is Winks--looks sharp and tidy. The rest are going through the paces.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
What have we done so wrong to have been given Argyle and England this season

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
The date for your diary is 1 December when the draw will be made for the World Cup group stage. I've got a ticket for a Group B game in St Petersburg, so that'll be the day that I discover that I'll have paid £130 for the privilege of watching Tunisia v South Korea.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
I felt that whilst still frustrating in parts, last night was a great improvement on Thursday.

Winks in CM is definately forward thinking and looks to progress the team up the pitch at every possibility. Short, long his passing is impressive. His concentration let him down a few times when he was caught dwelling on the ball but on the whole i thought it was a good debut.

I think the formation yesterday was set up for a better style of football. The centre backs were all compentent on the ball (be interesting to see them against Germany and Brazil next month) but with three, they have the opportunity and in those three (and possibly Phil Jones) the ability to bring the ball out of defence. If we had Danny Rose at LWB yesterday i think it would have been a whole different ball game. Cresswell was a bit too conservative (instruction or limitation) but Rose would no doubt have been flying down the left wing all night. Trippier did ok at RWB but think Walker is a better wing back.

Henderson is an interesting topic. I dont really think he fits with what Southgate is trying to acheive. He tends to slow the ball down a lot and moves the ball sideways rather than forward. He doesnt seem to have range or the ability to play a killer through ball. If we play with wingbacks, his job is made harder as the play is often in front of him but he doesnt look to pass forward, so he turns and goes back to the defenders. Winks in contrast, gets the ball and faces towards goal looking for a positive ball.

Up front i think Rashford is a really exciting prospect - hope we dont put too much weight on his shoulders. Kane can hopefully continue his form throughout the season and into next summer. Alli looks to be lacking form to me, nothing is coming off for him. He is trying too much and just gets frustrated when it doesnt come off. He has been largely ineffective in the last two games for me.

When Sturridge came on, like Henderson it showed the lack of urgency in his play. Often taking too many touches, making too many twists and turns to eventually play a ball he could of first time. We need to be getting in behind defenses and that needs pace - not just individually but as a collective. A few cogs in the wheel at a different pace and the whole machine slows down.

Squad wise i think we really lack depth. Lallana to come back in could help, but the likes of AOC and Sterling for me are not quite good enough.

Left me wondering on Thursday whether English players are just "alright", mediocre, do a job in the PL but need the foreign players to create the spark. Maybe with the exception of Spurs, too often our players are just the workmen in the PL, doing the dirty work for the more talented players to take advantage of it. If we fill our international team with 11 workhorses we are never going to have the talent to excite or break teams down at will. On the same breath, maybe the foreign imports and prohibiting the creation of English "spark".