Bobby @ 80 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Bobby @ 80

Jul 20, 2015
Should the manager be made to watch Bobby @ 80, at least three times? The points that he may take on board. Commitment dedication and honesty to the club.
You will never be criticized for shooting and missing only for not shooting!
You play football to entertain!
And many other points we seem to have forgotten.
:scarf: :scarf: :thumbs:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Green55":b7bcc0l9 said:
Should the manager be made to watch Bobby @ 80, at least three times? The points that he may take on board. Commitment dedication and honesty to the club.
You will never be criticized for shooting and missing only for not shooting!
You play football to entertain!
And many other points we seem to have forgotten.
:scarf: :scarf: :thumbs:

I'd say it's a lot easier to play football to entertain with Charlton himself, George Best and Denis Law on the pitch. Playing under one of the best managers ever. Most other clubs have/had to operate in the real world.

Also, Charlton was a great player and man. Unfortunately not a good manager.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Having lived through the era Bobby Charlton played in, I cannot help but admire what he achieved. It was a good documentary but it is very difficult to compare behaviours and attitudes from his heyday to those we see today. People tended to recognise their obligations to their employer, with their rights coming second in importance. In those days commitment and dedication were expected, whereas now it often seems that commentators, journalists and even managers see them as something worthy of special comment and praise.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Here's one for you Steve.

I was chatting (for ages) with Dave Whelan the other week and he told us a story of when he had his leg broken (by a dirty foul according to DW). He broke his tib and fib and was placed in plaster for 14 months.

On his return, the first game (for Blackburn) was against PNE, and DW had to mark the one and only Tom Finney. He took the ball off Finney three times in a row and he couldn't understand it, until he asked him 'Tom, why am I beating you to the ball' to which the great man replied 'Son, you've come back from a long injury and you need your confidence back'. As you say, different attitudes.

The best player he ever played against 'By a country mile, Duncan Edwards, he had it all'.

Ian

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
IJN":3q481bkd said:
Here's one for you Steve.

I was chatting (for ages) with Dave Whelan the other week and he told us a story of when he had his leg broken (by a dirty foul according to DW). He broke his tib and fib and was placed in plaster for 14 months.

On his return, the first game (for Blackburn) was against PNE, and DW had to mark the one and only Tom Finney. He took the ball off Finney three times in a row and he couldn't understand it, until he asked him 'Tom, why am I beating you to the ball' to which the great man replied 'Son, you've come back from a long injury and you need your confidence back'. As you say, different attitudes.

The best player he ever played against 'By a country mile, Duncan Edwards, he had it all'.

Ian
His leg was broken by Norman Deeley of Wolves, who 2 years later helped Leyton Orient pip Argyle to promotion. What a brilliant story from Dave Whelan and so typical of the day. I am quite jealous of you getting that opportunity with a proper football man. Compare Finney's behaviour to Fleetwood targetting Oscar's injury. I did read a piece that when Blackburn decided to let Dave go in March 1963 Argyle were interested. But he went to Crewe instead. (By the way, I thought the statue of Dave Whelan outside Wigan's ground was one of the best I have seen. Actually looked like him.)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
A truly wonderful 30 minutes after the game as well, I could have listened to him all night.

Mind you, he's now an expert on sharks. :greensmile:

A lovely man and loved by all at Wigan. His wife tried pull him away saying 'I hope he's not boring you' but at 81 he has me captivated. Never met anyone quite like him. Still fishes and shoots.

Mind you, it's funny as there must be 100 photos of him holding the FA CUP between the reception at the Guest Lounges. I guess he's 'quite proud'. :greensmile: