New World Cup? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

New World Cup?

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
In all the excitement of the World Cup qualifiers, it got me thinking... why don't FIFA start a 'Worldatrade Cup' for the perennial under-achievers like Luxembourg, San Marino, Solomon Islands and Scotland, etc.?

Then, after a few years, they could introduce some 'B' teams from Brazil, Spain, Germany, etc.

Just a thought...

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
...And Scotland lol

Seriously though I like the idea, only problem is fixture congestion, and the club teams will only moan about players leaving, and them coming back tired etc.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Lousy_Pint":16d1db6n said:
In all the excitement of the World Cup qualifiers, it got me thinking... why don't FIFA start a 'Worldatrade Cup' for the perennial under-achievers like Luxembourg, San Marino, Solomon Islands and Scotland, etc.?

Then, after a few years, they could introduce some 'B' teams from Brazil, Spain, Germany, etc.

Just a thought...

They're doing something similar with the Nations League which will start this autumn. Essentially European international football is going to be divided into divisions, with promotion and relegation.

Just as a side note, Luxembourg really shouldn't be classed as no-hopers - their population is almost double that of Iceland, for instance. If they can produce a couple of decent players and get them playing in one of the big leagues (and there's no reason why they can't) they could quite conceivably be competitive.

They seem to get bunched in quite often with Liechtenstein, who really are doomed to eternal shiteness - the population is less than 40,000 (about 1/15th of Luxembourg's). To all intents and purposes it's just the easternmost canton of Switzerland.

May 22, 2006
Brussels Bureaucrat":3qoupbl2 said:
Lousy_Pint":3qoupbl2 said:

Just a thought...

They're doing something similar with the Nations League which will start this autumn. Essentially European international football is going to be divided into divisions, with promotion and relegation.

Just as a side note, Luxembourg really shouldn't be classed as no-hopers - their population is almost double that of Iceland, for instance. If they can produce a couple of decent players and get them playing in one of the big leagues (and there's no reason why they can't) they could quite conceivably be competitive.

They seem to get bunched in quite often with Liechtenstein, who really are doomed to eternal shiteness - the population is less than 40,000 (about 1/15th of Luxembourg's). To all intents and purposes it's just the easternmost canton of Switzerland.

Yep, and Liechtenstein is a tax haven so most of the people living there wouldn't be eligible anyway.

But it's certainly a good idea to have the smaller nations playing each other. I wonder what it must be like as a San Marino player knowing you're going to get pasted every match

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Ham Green":2eewm5d0 said:
Brussels Bureaucrat":2eewm5d0 said:
Lousy_Pint":2eewm5d0 said:

Just a thought...

Yep, and Liechtenstein is a tax haven so most of the people living there wouldn't be eligible anyway.

But it's certainly a good idea to have the smaller nations playing each other. I wonder what it must be like as a San Marino player knowing you're going to get pasted every match

It must be cool to be a footballer with a Sammarinese passport though. If you have anything about you at all, you're going to play international football.