Sliding tackles to be banned by F.A. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Sliding tackles to be banned by F.A.

Nov 4, 2012
No sliding tackles? What kind of nanny state, health and safety gone mad bullsh!t is that? Nothing better than a hard sliding challenge on a sloping field of mud in the pouring rain on a freezing cold Saturday morning in November.

Mar 8, 2016
This country is becoming so risk adverse and health and safety mad. The good ideas club seem to be so out of touch with what people want, the FA and Shaun Harvey at the EFL are leading this country's football down the Sh1ter. I'm all up for positive change but I see No long term positive outcome from anything they are doing so far.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
So the coach can semaphore Tayloresque rhetorical questions between clapping the latest blue card oppo power play, phew.

If it's medical advice mollycoddling being adhered to, surely heading the ball has to go?

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
One of the best parts of football, nothing like a well executed sliding tackle to get the crowd going.

I can see the logic behind banning it at youth level, it can be dangerous especially if executed poorly. Similarly with fewer sliding tackles gives technically good youngsters a better chance. Long has it been a problem for smaller technical players to get overlooked in favour of poorer footballers who happened to hit their growth spurt at an early age. Taking away one method of kicking technical players out of football may allow better footballers to come through in this country.

That said the problems arise when the first generation reach the age where tackling is legal again. Suddenly you have an intake of youngsters who have never learnt how to execute or beat a slide tackle playing older kids who have been slide tackling for at least a year if not longer.

I also think it's fair to say slide tackles aren't dangerous, rather poorly executed/timed slide tackles are dangerous. In which case it makes sense to teach kids the proper technique and timing from an early age where they're smaller, more adept at learning and less susceptible to injury. Failing to teach the tackle at an early age will only push it back in a youngster's development meaning that much older kids are sliding for the first time; the learning curve is still there but it needs to be climbed faster, it's done when the kids are older and able to do more damage to each other and where the differences between their growth rates becomes more obvious.

I think it's a nice idea in theory but sadlly you are preparing kids for a game that doesn't exist. Adult football in England will always include slide tackling, teaching kids how to perform that skill safely is surely safer than pretending it doesn't exist.

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

Unfortunately, these sort of changes are what we have to expect if the FA, Premier League and Football League aren't willing to combat the power divide in English football.

The long and short of it is that grass roots football needs better facilities and better coaching, both in terms of ability and numbers. To improve these two areas, of which England is lacking as a nation, you need to spend money.

Yet despite this, we spent an obscene sum on St. George's Park. What good is this facility if the majority of young players never visit it?

I remember speaking to an ex player at the time of St George's Park opening. His son was a Premier League coach at the time and had recently been sent on a training course in Europe. The Europeans were howling at SGP he said. They couldn't understand why we had a nation of poor facilities and under funded volunteers, when we could spend that sort of money on one facility.

Imagine if the FA had spent all of that money on facilities for each of the 72 Football League clubs. What if they had extended that to all of the Conference clubs too? That facility cost just over £100m I believe. What would just £1m do to improve the facilities at Home Park?

These rules are nonsense. If we want the English national side to improve we need to spend cash on grass roots football and that's before limiting the number of young players big clubs can sign it never play.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Good idea. Hopefully they'll consider restricting heading below a certain age (say under-15) too. We still don't understand properly the neurological impact of repeated heading of a football, but it can't be good for developing brains.

Banning noisy spectators is also a very good idea. There's nothing more depressing than a dad (it's usually the dad) screaming at the players, referees and coaches as if it's a professional league game. They're kids. It's not the World Cup final. They're doing it for fun. The coaches are qualified and you're not. Zip it.

A

andyr1963

With the emergence of 3G pitches the sliding tackle will slowly disappear anyway. Grandson No.1 liked a slide tackle till he tried it on the 3G training pitch. Didn't complain just got on with it :scarf: have only see him do it a couple of times since both on grass, both times gave away a foul. (Diabolical refereeing decision obviously).

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Anyone know how the grassroots football in Spain works? Do their players achieve their technical ability because they don't get kicked at youth level?

Watching La Liga you also notice that slide tackles aren't that prominent. Lots of jockeying and pressure but often tackles don't go in. When they do, they tend to be poorly executed and result in cards either through the rolling around of the opponent or because it was a horrendous tackle to start with!

I'm not advocating the ban on slide tackling at grass roots, just wondered whether other countries had done similar and what the results were.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Adam_R":3bd3aqts said:
Anyone know how the grassroots football in Spain works? Do their players achieve their technical ability because they don't get kicked at youth level?

Watching La Liga you also notice that slide tackles aren't that prominent. Lots of jockeying and pressure but often tackles don't go in. When they do, they tend to be poorly executed and result in cards either through the rolling around of the opponent or because it was a horrendous tackle to start with!

I'm not advocating the ban on slide tackling at grass roots, just wondered whether other countries had done similar and what the results were.

I wonder whether there's less focus on winning and more attention on improving players' technical level. A sliding tackle is often the last resort - the best defenders don't need to make them because they were in the right place to start with, in order to make an interception or shepherd the attacker into a less dangerous area. At under-age levels it doesn't really matter whether team A or B wins, and as somebody said further up, putting too much emphasis on winning at all costs often means the bigger, more powerful players are encouraged to simply kick the smaller kids out of the game to make sure their team hangs on for the win.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
With England's kids doing fantastically well in winning 2 World Cups this year, you would think the main concern for the FA would be how to get these younger players to the next level, rather than rotting in some Premier leagues academy.

But no, instead they want to stop kids making sliding tackles and heading the ball.

So on one hand we have Pep Guardiola complaining that the balls are like beach balls, and on the other the FA saying they are dangerous?!?!

If this nonsense goes ahead we will have a generation of youngsters who can't make a sliding tackle or head a ball, it's absolute lunacy!

It would be like banning young golfers from putting as it might prove stressful.

They also want the parents to stop verbal encouragement and only "Clap their appreciation"

The FA are a farce!

Sep 28, 2003
London
I'm pretty sure the thing about parents is because too many chavvy dads shout and swear at referees from the touchline.

This article is pure clickbait designed to wind people up by presenting things with no context, something The Herald website is sadly rife with these days.

The slide tackles thing I actually think makes a lot of sense for very young players - when I played youth football you'd often see smaller more skillful players just kicked out of the game by stronger kids. No-ones "outlawing" anything.