Luke McCormick (to Swindon) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Luke McCormick (to Swindon)

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
I happened today to notice that Luke it due to be released from Prison in June this year - according to his Wikipedia page anyhow.

Personally I don't like the idea of someone returning to the professional ranks following a criminal conviction, but how would others respond if he returned to Home Park - playing for Argyle or with another team? Would it be any different from Lee Hughes coming back?

C

Cult Of Personality

For me he has done his time and should be able to carry on with his life and get a job in which football is like any other ex con

L

Lee Jameson

What Luke did was wrong, he has paid the price and when he goes to sleep at night and when he wakes up in the morning all Luke will see is those two boys.

Why use Lee Hughes as an example? People from all walks of life have committed criminal offenses once release from prison they are entitled to start a career new or old. I believe Louise Woodward is a lawyer.

Everybody deserves a second chance, the question you have to ask your-self if Luke was not a professional footballer would this case have got the publicity.

I feel for the family, but there is nothing Luke can do to bring back those Children.

Lee Jameson":12z46lf3 said:
What Luke did was wrong, he has paid the price and when he goes to sleep at night and when he wakes up in the morning all Luke will see is those two boys.

Why use Lee Hughes as an example? People from all walks of life have committed criminal offenses once release from prison they are entitled to start a career new or old. I believe Louise Woodward is a lawyer.

Everybody deserves a second chance, the question you have to ask your-self if Luke was not a professional footballer would this case have got the publicity.

I feel for the family, but there is nothing Luke can do to bring back those Children.

Agree with all that.

I would like to see Luke given a chance at Argyle again. I met him several times at Argyle functions and outside of Argyle and he was one of the nicest players you could meet.

I read somewhere though he is going to become a gym instructor as he dosen't think any club will give him a chance when he gets out.

C

Cameron Millar

Id feel uneasy about him returning back to argyle, however as has been stated he has every right too after serving his time and the memory will always follow him, let alone the away fans picking up on it. Overall I think that if fletcher wants him and hes good enough, then despite my unease he deserves another chance.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
If he came back to Argyle or any other FL club for that matter, he would need to be either deaf or very thick skinned as he would be a target for the fans behind the goal of the opposing team, that is for sure.

Dec 13, 2004
Second chance certainly, if he has got any remorse or decency he will stay well away from pro-football, and hopefully the gutter press will leave it alone and let all concerned rebuild their lives.

Dec 18, 2008
The word prison needs to be deleted from existence, the line removed from the Dictionary. They should be renamed Rehabilitation Facilities!

No-one seems to have faith in the [prison] system. Once a person does his time, a new start for them should begin. I don't condone any criminal activity.

Su-Per, Su-Per Luke ........................ and so on. I welcome him to replace his previous mucca, Le Keeper.

B

Be7431

He made a mistake and has paid his time for it. I believe everyone should be given a second chance

Dec 7, 2006
Cult Of Personality":2bqihc09 said:
For me he has done his time and should be able to carry on with his life and get a job in which football is like any other ex con
This! But would he want the abuse he'd undoubtedly get across the grounds should he decide to paly again? :problem:

Sep 19, 2011
Penzance
I can see the question being raised here but I don't feel that anyone has addressed as to whether he still has the skills and fitness to still be a Pro footballer.
With all the abuse he would get I simply can't see him bothering with a return to football.

Aug 22, 2006
There's a thread about Luke in the opinions section where i've put across my feelings on the situation. As far as i've heard he won't be returning to football and has been studying a totally different path.

There are various players that play football that have committed all sorts of crimes, with perhaps more "purpose" so to speak to cause havoc due to their not so nice character. But some football fans (it will probably ironically be the "nutter" element) can't distinguish between these nice characters who have made an awful awful mistake, or these characters who are "bad" who keep making mistakes but are just lucky that they haven't had as tragic a consequence as Luke has. That's life in every walks of life, so the moral of the story should be portrayed quite easily in an advert of some sort - I know there are drink driving ads around christmas but they should also be around generally and include the element of tiredness which is often just shrugged off, AND also for people who go out, get drunk, get little sleep and then wake up for work the next morning/or whatever the morning journey may be - many many many many people across the country have done this and I guarantee you if they were stopped by the police they'd be so over the limit it would be alarming.

So my point is if Luke returned he would get a reaction far more abusive (and there would also be security/logistic issues behind the goals) than the likes of King, Hughes, Pennant, but i'm fairly sure he won't be returning in the first place.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Lee Jameson":2eoymjxb said:

Lee, I'm sure Hughes was used as they are/were both in the same profession having committed similar crimes. I'm all for Luke being given a chance to continue in football but it's a bit different with Hughes as he can run around the pitch getting involved in the game where as Luke would be just stood there taking abuse on a huge scale with nowhere to hide. Would he be able to keep his concentration for 90 minutes? I doubt it.
Move abroad as some have suggested? That's a bit OTT for me.

Keepitgreen":ggvq21l1 said:
Lee Jameson":ggvq21l1 said:

Lee, I'm sure Hughes was used as they are/were both in the same profession having committed similar crimes. I'm all for Luke being given a chance to continue in football but it's a bit different with Hughes as he can run around the pitch getting involved in the game where as Luke would be just stood there taking abuse on a huge scale with nowhere to hide. Would he be able to keep his concentration for 90 minutes? I doubt it.
Move abroad as some have suggested? That's a bit OTT for me.

These two really sholdnt be put in the same example though as Lee Hughes fled the scene of the crime to then hand himself in a couple of days later, you would imagine this to have drink drive written all over it! I struggle with people being allowed back into football having served a custodial centence as they are rolwe models to our children. Other professions dont employ former prisoners too. Whilst I agree people need a second chance I dont think this should be the case in such a high profile sport...