Rule Change Needed | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rule Change Needed

Oct 14, 2015
Watching the Everton against Manchester Untited game I witnesses the most obvious red card you'll see this season. Marcos Rojo literally took off and slide into an Everton player in the most dangerous two footed tackle that could've quite easily have caused serious injury to the player. Yet somehow the officials missed it although the referee must have seen something in it to give Rojo a yellow. Now because he's issued that card it cannot be ungraded to a red which it most certainly was. That cannot be right and in my opinion that rule needs to change especially now the FA are apparently looking at Ibrahimovic's tackle on Coleman where again in my opinion he purposely brought his heel into Colemans stomach area. Ibrahimovic knew exactly what he was doing so you now have the situation where he could get banned while Rojo merrily plays on despite his horrendous challenge. Can't be right...

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
IMHO the whole thing needs changing but it has to be "real-time". This retrospective action seems like a poor solution. Yes the player gets punishes - but at another teams gain. Everton missed out on 60minutes vs 10 men and potentially some of the game against 9. As it stands, they do not benefit at all, but its likely Utd's next 2/3 opponents could benefit from Zlatan being banned while Rojo gets off scott free.

Get 2 or three people watching the match on screens to give messages to the ref, to me that is the only answer. They can deliberate but get the referee to call play back based on their analysis within a short time frame. Lots of things in football need cleaning up and it wont make sense for them all to be retrospective.

Wouldn't it be nice for all fouls to be spotted and players carded appropriately, wouldn't it be nice if all offside goals or infringements in the build up were spotted.

It doesn't ruin rugby so why would it need to ruin football. The referee and his two (often coy) linesman are unable to spot everything that's going on from where they stand. Give them some help (and not the two baton waving men behind the goal line either. Utilise them better in an elevated position, with some authority to assist the referee properly.

Jul 7, 2006
I totally agree with Adam R and but as a consequence games will automatically be slowed down with reviews .However justice would be done within the game in real time and it would go a long way towards stopping the diving and cheating(such things as a player hanging a leg back to contact his markers leg and then falling over)etc..

That said a successful review system, a la Rugby, might quickly put a stop to the antics that pass for football now-a-days. So the game might not be slowed down that much when players realise that they aren't going to get away with things.

Cost(for lower league Clubs) might be the only mitigating factor.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
The rule "the referee's decision on the day is final" is one that will be one of the last that FIFA change. Help on the day from technology will come eventually, I'm sure.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
A clear red card offence the Rojo tackle. Shortly before that Barry got away with a clear yellow card tackle and again another yellow card for a deliberate hand ball so Mr Oliver was lenient to say the least. With the money in the Premier league of course extra personnel and equipment could be utilised but very few other leagues could and presumably FIFA would need to approve it. It is all very well a yellow being upgraded to a red card in an instance like Rojo's on Sunday but if this was allowed generally many less clear decisions could be taken totally undermining referee's decisions on the day, the Ibrahimovic and Coleman incident being one such example.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Lundan Cabbie":13c5oe3x said:
The rule "the referee's decision on the day is final" is one that will be one of the last that FIFA change. Help on the day from technology will come eventually, I'm sure.

Yes football will slowly move into the 21st century--perhaps by the 22nd century. Goal line technology took God knows how long to introduce and a review system is a must. I've had so many arguments with mates who think it will disrupt the game whilst ignoring the constant disruption caused by players feigning injury, arguing the toss and generally wasting time--believe me a review system will speed up the game, put players on their best behaviour and add drama. It will also help the poor bloody refs who are on a hiding to nothing every match.

Apr 6, 2009
I also think they need to change the appeal process. I think its crazy you can appeal a straight red but not a red from 2 yellows.
It should be the other way around - if it was bad enough to warrant a straight red to the ref you shouldn't be able to but 2 petty fouls that result in a red should be able to be appealed. If we could have shown that actually slew had no choice to go down against morecombe therefore no dive, therefore no yellow his ban could have been stopped (even though we still potentially lost the match to morecombe partly due to this fact)

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i would also stop dishing out yellow cards for players celebrating their goals by whipping their shirts off and whirling them around.it harmless spectacle for the supporters. :furious:

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Adam_R":23ovkvwn said:
IMHO the whole thing needs changing but it has to be "real-time". This retrospective action seems like a poor solution. Yes the player gets punishes - but at another teams gain. Everton missed out on 60minutes vs 10 men and potentially some of the game against 9. As it stands, they do not benefit at all, but its likely Utd's next 2/3 opponents could benefit from Zlatan being banned while Rojo gets off scott free.

Get 2 or three people watching the match on screens to give messages to the ref, to me that is the only answer. They can deliberate but get the referee to call play back based on their analysis within a short time frame. Lots of things in football need cleaning up and it wont make sense for them all to be retrospective.

Wouldn't it be nice for all fouls to be spotted and players carded appropriately, wouldn't it be nice if all offside goals or infringements in the build up were spotted.

It doesn't ruin rugby so why would it need to ruin football. The referee and his two (often coy) linesman are unable to spot everything that's going on from where they stand. Give them some help (and not the two baton waving men behind the goal line either. Utilise them better in an elevated position, with some authority to assist the referee properly.

Are you sure that this is an advantage? :greensmile:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Old Gunner":1qa5e62p said:
Lundan Cabbie":1qa5e62p said:

Yes football will slowly move into the 21st century--perhaps by the 22nd century. Goal line technology took God knows how long to introduce and a review system is a must. I've had so many arguments with mates who think it will disrupt the game whilst ignoring the constant disruption caused by players feigning injury, arguing the toss and generally wasting time--believe me a review system will speed up the game, put players on their best behaviour and add drama. It will also help the poor bloody refs who are on a hiding to nothing every match.

I don't like the idea of managers having a certain number of reviews per game. If we are going to use technology then it should be used to get ALL decisions correct on agreed issues. I've seen in cricket and tennis where wrong decisions have not been corrected simply because they have exhausted their set number of appeals.