✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
In other words sacked, along with his backroom staff which includes ex Pilgrim Kevin Summerfield.

Birmingham City FC

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
7th in the league, won last night, one of England's most promising young managers. What a bizzare decision.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Birmingham's new owner Trillion Trophy Asia Limited (TTAL) announced the decision to relieve Rowett of his duties had been taken because:
"although he is a promising young manager, he just isn't foreign enough for us. We are looking to keep pace with other Championship sides by appointing six Italians a year on two month contracts. That is the way forward for Inglese Football. Ciaio!!". ;)

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Cobi Budge":1ausoaxp said:
7th in the league, won last night, one of England's most promising young managers. What a bizzare decision.
Money talks as always. Success at ANY cost it seems - football really is rotten to the core these days. :sigh:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
It is disappointing for Gary Rowett in as much he will not now see what his fine team that he has built would have achieved at the end of the season. It is not nice to be sacked just before Christmas, but I am sure he will get a very nice 'golden goodbye' for his unseemly dismissal. At the same time, his success at Birmingham this season will ensure he will be on some club's wanted list, when they sack their own manager. He will survive very nicely.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
I know a lot of blue noses and semi frequently go to St Andrews if I can't get to Argyle. It's a ludicrous decision, but Rowett will do far better from this than Blues will (or at least I hope that it pans out that way).

Sadly this is just another example of owners taking charge of a club, but completely neglecting to understand the tradition of the club they are taking ownership of.

Rowett has history at Blues as a player. He didn't just execute a fire fighting mission to stave them from relegation after Lee Clarke's Brum was thumped 8 nil at home by Bournemouth. He took them to Wolves away, ensured a point against their rivals and immediately built from then on. Not only did they avoid relegation, by the closing stages of the season they had an outside chance on play offs!

He's had an excellent start to this campaign for a side which has lacked financial oomph in an ever increasingly rich league. Only Brighton have lost less games this season so far. To sack him and bring in Zola as a replacement shows the true nature of these owners. They aren't aware of Birmingham's history, clearly the obsession stems to a legend who donned another club's blue - a club irrelevant to BCFC. His legend status at Chelsea means jot to blue noses. Rowett has a connection with them.

The Blues fans that I know are gutted by this decision. They're cautious once again of their owners. They're not looking forward to the rest of the season. Zola might be a success, but it'll always be tainted by the lack of loyalty shown to own of their own.

All the best to Gary Rowett. Our game needs more young determined English managers like him at the top. He's earned and deserves a chance.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Totally agree swimwiththetide.

It also doesn't paint Zola in a good light. So much for one of the reputed good guys of football...

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Emu":16j30y4g said:
Totally agree swimwiththetide.

It also doesn't paint Zola in a good light. So much for one of the reputed good guys of football...

How does this paint Zola in any light other than being offered a job and accepting? It certainly doesn't paint the BCFC owners well but when have they ever had steady ownership? When Barry Fry was manager he was allowed to buy every player on the market and had at one time over 45 players signed on for first team duties. It was said that a player was signed on the Friday morning and told he'd be playing on the Saturday only for another player to be signed on the Friday evening and replacing him.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Unsurprisingly Zola has been a flop, no sympathy with the Birmingham board, sacking Rowett was madness.