Grimsby Town has a rich and interesting history | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Grimsby Town has a rich and interesting history

G

Grimsbyfan

Grimsby fan here. Congratulations on building on last season's near success and securing automatic promotion. Your fans brought a lot of colour and energy to an otherwise routine end of season game. Anyone who went to Ocean or Steels would have had outstanding fish and chips. I talked to a few Argyle fans and they were all friendly and looking forward to the game.

It has been posted on here that Grimsby are recognised as a "proper club". The extent of which is not probably known:

Grimsby were founded in 1878 and spent most of the 1930s in the Premiership equivalent.
In 1939 we set the ground attendance record (76,962) at Old Trafford in an FA Cup semi-final. This record still stands (a few hundred more than Man United have ever managed).
We had a Director who was appointed as the President of FIFA in the 1950s.
In more recent times we have spent some 20 years in the Championship. We were top of the Championship when England beat Germany 5-1. (Excellent overall consistency for a small club).

On the downside, some fans complained about the number of stanchions at Blundell Park. There were even more in the stand on your right, as you look at the pitch.
This is the Main Stand and was built in 1901. The oldest stand in the Football League. It is made of wood. It is theoretically possible that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid could have ben season ticket holders for 7 years as they were not killed until 1908!

In summary, there is no reason why you cannot continue making good progress next season. Our rivals Scunthorpe nearly got into the Championship this week for the 3rd time in recent years. You are a must bigger club with a much larger fanbase. (Our The New Fishy has a lot of users,but I have not seen as many fans logged as on this site. Fans rule and are the only constant in as club).

ng

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 21, 2011
Nuneaton
I enjoyed my visit to Blundell Park, a proper ground with proper fans. So ready great banter and I thought your stewards were excellent.
I knew you had spent time in the top flight and remember with clarity you being in tier 2, in fact it was a shock you slipped into the conference. Very glad you are on the way back, with a credible season in league 2. Could be a tough league next year with Colchester, Cambridge, Coventry and Luton or Blackpool all in the mix. Hopefully you can improve next year and be the surprise package.
Thanks for the courtesy of allowing Argyle fans to celebrate,even if the result was a little disappointing, it has been a long hard road but we are 'on our way'

Good luck for next season. :thumbs:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Grimsbyfan":2mfdx60c said:
Grimsby fan here. Congratulations on building on last season's near success and securing automatic promotion. Your fans brought a lot of colour and energy to an otherwise routine end of season game. Anyone who went to Ocean or Steels would have had outstanding fish and chips. I talked to a few Argyle fans and they were all friendly and looking forward to the game.

It has been posted on here that Grimsby are recognised as a "proper club". The extent of which is not probably known:

Grimsby were founded in 1878 and spent most of the 1930s in the Premiership equivalent.
In 1939 we set the ground attendance record (76,962) at Old Trafford in an FA Cup semi-final. This record still stands (a few hundred more than Man United have ever managed).
We had a Director who was appointed as the President of FIFA in the 1950s.
In more recent times we have spent some 20 years in the Championship. We were top of the Championship when England beat Germany 5-1. (Excellent overall consistency for a small club).

On the downside, some fans complained about the number of stanchions at Blundell Park. There were even more in the stand on your right, as you look at the pitch.
This is the Main Stand and was built in 1901. The oldest stand in the Football League. It is made of wood. It is theoretically possible that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid could have ben season ticket holders for 7 years as they were not killed until 1908!

In summary, there is no reason why you cannot continue making good progress next season. Our rivals Scunthorpe nearly got into the Championship this week for the 3rd time in recent years. You are a must bigger club with a much larger fanbase. (Our The New Fishy has a lot of users,but I have not seen as many fans logged as on this site. Fans rule and are the only constant in as club).

So could 7 years in a wooden Grandstand in Grimsby be the inspiration for: Raindrops keep falling on my head?? :think:

Have had lovely fish & chips in Grimsby, sadly not on a matchday tho'!

Good luck to you for next season! :thumbs: :scarf: