Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI   IJN Payments
Until the end of season:

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:29 pm 

I think this is more of a worry really:

Does a narrow social elite run the country? BBC Link

"it seems that British politicians from all parties are being drawn from an ever smaller social pool, says broadcaster Andrew Neil. It wasn't always thus, so what's changed?"

The worst stat is the one showing how few politicians these days have actually had experience working outside of politics, let alone in a small business. Small businesses actually account for most of the jobs in this country, yet policians know so little about them.

Last edited by Greenblooded1 on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:03 pm 

Greenblooded1 wrote:
The worst stat is the one showing how few politicians these days have actully working outside of politics, let alone in a small business. Small businesses actually account for most of the jobs in this country, yet policians know so little about them.

I agree. The trouble is that usually when politicians have taken on directorships or paid advisory roles of big corporations they claim that they are doing that to keep themselves in touch with the world outside of Westminster. Nothing to stop them taking part-time jobs shelf-stacking in Tescos, volunteering for a charity for the homeless, clocking in at the local factory or similar. That doesn't pay as much though, does it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:37 am 
Friend Sponsor

Cumbrian Green wrote:
I notice that terms regarding monkeys and peanuts and market forces are ok to justify public sector pay levels, but God forbid anyone should apply this to the private sector, especially anyone who works in a bank.

Where's this level playing field that all you lefties keep referring to :)

That, sir, is a definite "whoosh" for one of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:26 am 
Member Sponsor

knecht wrote:
Greenblooded1 wrote:
The worst stat is the one showing how few politicians these days have actully working outside of politics, let alone in a small business. Small businesses actually account for most of the jobs in this country, yet policians know so little about them.

I agree. The trouble is that usually when politicians have taken on directorships or paid advisory roles of big corporations they claim that they are doing that to keep themselves in touch with the world outside of Westminster. Nothing to stop them taking part-time jobs shelf-stacking in Tescos, volunteering for a charity for the homeless, clocking in at the local factory or similar. That doesn't pay as much though, does it?

I think GB1 meant before they came into politics. I share Mark Thomas's view on MPs having other jobs: when you're elected to Parliament, that *is* your full-time job. You shouldn't have time to take a directorship or to pen columns (even if, as Michael Gove admitted, they take minutes to write - and boy, don't it show!).

I agree with the view that the cadre of new MPs over the last decade has been populated by people from a very narrow area with very little life experience. It's a straight road from PPE at University to working as a researcher for an MP to party-led think-tank or SpAd to selection for a safe seat. The only hurdle is if the MP you've chosen to latch on to falls in favour or popularity (or on his or her own sword).