Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI   IJN Payments
Until the end of season:

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Falkland Islands. 30 years on.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:20 pm 

I see the Argies are at it yet again.

The are flexing their muscles in their mouths regarding the Falkland Islands,with South-American support to. :shock:

At the moment they are thankfully only words,with a hint of crying to the UN over the issue [no chance there me thinks].

It is 30 years since hostilities ended,so i would expect them to moan and whinge more so now.

The UK has sent out a nuclear submarine and the new-latest Royal Navy ship to the Falklands http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/3 ... vy-warship.

And more troops are being sent to bolster the already hefty base down there,just in case the Argies fancy another ruck ?. We know Prince William is there now on a six month tour of duty as search and rescue pilot.

I wonder if the Argies are making a stink because the UK is drilling for oil there now.

Could this new dispute get out of hand,with Argentina again trying to invade the Islands,or will this latest spat wither out over the coming weeks and months.

Last edited by oggyale on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Falkland Islands. 30 years on.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:29 pm 

During the build up to the conflict, oil deposits were discovered. If there's a massive oil field surrounding the island that can economically be extracted, it's fairly obvious why the Argentinian Government is fairly upset that the UK will own those oil fields... considering it's a few miles away from their mainland.

I think the UK Government would react in the same way.

It's always about the oil.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:49 pm 
Staff

Argentina is run now by a civilian government, not a military junta. It is highly unlikely that the Argentinians would invade.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I've suffered for my music ... now it's your turn"
Neil Innes (Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:33 pm 

Argies? Careful, GnT will be on your case!

Why don't we just give them the Isle of Man, innit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:32 pm 
Member Sponsor Staff

hairy j wrote:
During the build up to the conflict, oil deposits were discovered. If there's a massive oil field surrounding the island that can economically be extracted, it's fairly obvious why the Argentinian Government is fairly upset that the UK will own those oil fields... considering it's a few miles away from their mainland.

I think the UK Government would react in the same way.

It's always about the oil.

Not if there's not very much there.

"Look out Mr T, they're coming for you!"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:03 am 

Quinny wrote:
Argentina is run now by a civilian government, not a military junta. It is highly unlikely that the Argentinians would invade.

One of the South-American leaders has stated his Country would back/help Argentina in military terms if needed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:13 am 

The Falklands have never been an Argentine possession. They were a Spanish colonial possession which we conquered and was subsequently ceded to us in the peace settlement with Spain. The Falklands have remained British for 179 years now and the Falkland people wish to remain part of the Crown. At no time have Argentina ever had sovereignty over the Falklands. They have absolutely no right to sovereignty over the Falklands whatsover.

I think it's highly unlikely that they would invade again, as someone has already said, Argentina is no longer a military junta.

This is all about the oil.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:13 am 

The whole thing's ridiculous.

As Pilgrim has said the Islands have never been Argentinian. OK they are the closest country, but it's over 250 miles away, hardly territorial waters. It's about as daft as the UK laying claim to Corsica.

The only reason Argentina wants them is because of the potential oil reserves. This is one of those rare and happy events in history when we actually found somewhere first (without need to occupy someone else's territory—OK, the seabirds got a rough deal). The French have a better claim than Argentina as they actually had a settlement on the Islands first, 2 years ahead of Britain in 1764. Argentina didn't even exist as an independent state until 1816

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:14 am 

Ok its all about oil. What oil ?
Is there any oil there? If there is oil why haven't we started to drill for it, we've had jurisdiction over the islands for a couple of hundred years :banghead:

Where are the other oil deposits in that area? Why aren't Argentina, Brazil, Chile etc etc all oil rich ?

Probably because its not about oil, I don't think much that goes on in the world is, its just a rather poor excuse for any and every thing

I think its genuinely all about self determination

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:49 am 

french-doors wrote:
Is there any oil there? If there is oil why haven't we started to drill for it, we've had jurisdiction over the islands for a couple of hundred years :banghead:

Where are the other oil deposits in that area? Why aren't Argentina, Brazil, Chile etc etc all oil rich ?

Probably because its not about oil, I don't think much that goes on in the world is, its just a rather poor excuse for any and every thing

There is estimated to be around 60 billion barrels worth of oil around the Falkland islands. Drilling will commence in a few years time. This why the Argies are upset.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:58 am 
Member Sponsor Staff

french-doors wrote:

Er... Brazil is oil rich. They're the world's 9th largest oil producer. Tupi and Jupiter fields (both only relatively recently discovered) together add about 10 billion barrels to Brazil's existing reserves (Norway and the UK each have about 10 billion remaining in total).

The Falklands Oil - "Why haven't we started to drill for it?". Where have you been for the last several years? Most of the wells drilled recently have probably targetted the "wrong" reservoir: signs of oil have been found but not any significant accumulations (yet). We know that the most likely best source rock has expelled around 100 billion barrels of oil but of course most of that gets lost. We don't know nearly enough about what petroleum "systems" exist down there (the mechanism by which oil gets generated from the source rock and migrates into the reservoir rock) to say for certain if there's a new oil province there or not.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:15 pm 

mike_gss wrote:
french-doors wrote:

Er... Brazil is oil rich. They're the world's 9th largest oil producer. Tupi and Jupiter fields (both only relatively recently discovered) together add about 10 billion barrels to Brazil's existing reserves (Norway and the UK each have about 10 billion remaining in total).

The Falklands Oil - "Why haven't we started to drill for it?". Where have you been for the last several years? Most of the wells drilled recently have probably targetted the "wrong" reservoir: signs of oil have been found but not any significant accumulations (yet). We know that the most likely best source rock has expelled around 100 billion barrels of oil but of course most of that gets lost. We don't know nearly enough about what petroleum "systems" exist down there (the mechanism by which oil gets generated from the source rock and migrates into the reservoir rock) to say for certain if there's a new oil province there or not.

Well I've been in Cornwall Mike, but I have never seen any evidence what so ever that oil operations are ongoing in the South Atlantic, sorry bud I'll make it my top priority to keep my finger on that particular pulse :think:
So they've been drilling in the wrong reservoir and haven't found any oil 'yet' so again I state we went to war and encourage a spat with Argentina over oil which 'might' be there and again we've had the last 30 years to hit the right reservoir.

Surely if there are vast oil reserves in the area would it not be in our interests financially and politically to be in harmony with the county that has the largest land mass near by ??

This has more to do with politics and elections I'd suggest :eh:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:33 pm 
Member Sponsor Staff

french-doors wrote:
mike_gss wrote:
french-doors wrote:

Well I've been in Cornwall Mike, but I have never seen any evidence what so ever that oil operations are ongoing in the South Atlantic, sorry bud I'll make it my top priority to keep my finger on that particular pulse :think:
So they've been drilling in the wrong reservoir and haven't found any oil 'yet' so again I state we went to war and encourage a spat with Argentina over oil which 'might' be there and again we've had the last 30 years to hit the right reservoir.

Surely if there are vast oil reserves in the area would it not be in our interests financially and politically to be in harmony with the county that has the largest land mass near by ??

This has more to do with politics and elections I'd suggest :eh:

Sorry if I came over a bit abrupt. Yes, it would need some sort of stable market plus also access to refining capacity. I would imagine if significant finds are made in the Falklands that they are too far from existing production networks (in this case Brazil's) to construct any form of pipeline. The oil would have to be transported by tanker. This would mean that the refineries of South and West Africa might come into play and therefore the stability/friendliness of Argentina et al may not be an issue.

As I said, we've yet to actually find anything significant anyway but it seems even the possibility of a few big finds is enough to generate a bit of sabre rattling (on all sides).

Last edited by mike_gss on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.