captain connor | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

captain connor

Feb 21, 2011
Gerald Wylie":340myi3i said:
Andy Holland":340myi3i said:
Gerald Wylie":340myi3i said:
For me he epitomises everything that's wrong with Sheridan's team. Strolls around and great at receiving the ball 90 yards from goal. And that's about it. Flatters to deceive. Why is he taking free kicks on the halfway line? Leave it to a defender and get yourself into areas where you might have a greater influence. No coincidence that for the three years he's been a mainstay in the side we have struggled to score goals. The most negative midfield player I can recall in 30 years of watching Argyle.

I've called him negative myself - but it's quite ridiculous to call him the "most negative" you've ever seen.

Presumably you never watched Steve Adams, McCall, Fletcher, Folly etc.

When CH gets forward and plays almost behind the striker, he's a real asset, a constant goal threat and always in with a chance of getting some assists.

But when he goes "safe", and drops to the halfway line, turning to face his own goal every time he receives the ball, he's absolutely worthless to us, or anyone for that matter.

I've said it for ages - if his mentality got sorted he'd be a superb player, and he's definitely capable of playing at a much higher level than he is right now.

He needs a strong manager to recognise what he could offer and to get him performing that way consistently - a manager, sadly, that we've not had.

Adams, Wotton, Fletcher, etc were obviously defensive midfield players whereas Hourihane's talent lends itself to a playmaker. Which is why he is so disappointing to watch. He's certainly no McCall, Machin, Friio or Castle.
you have to agree though the players you mention were not surrounded by the absolute poo that Conor has since he's been here the only time he has had a decent experienced partner was the short period with Cox when we played some decent stuff.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Take... A .... Bow

:clap:

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Anyone that fails to recognise Connors talent and ability really shows their lack of understanding of the game IMHO.

He's a must keep, but like others have said, he needs help in midfield.

Sep 28, 2003
London
I don't question his ability - just his application. Every now and again he does things to prove his undoubted talent - which makes it all the more frustrating when he puts in "those" performances.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
He needs a Nalis type player next to him.

Mar 23, 2008
Indeed he needs a Lee Cox style midfield partner not a passenger like Drizzle. He's had some serious work to do over the last couple if years running the midfield on his own with little support. Decent goal return this season and he has really grown.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Deacster":35r643uw said:
Indeed he needs a Lee Cox style midfield partner not a passenger like Drizzle. He's had some serious work to do over the last couple if years running the midfield on his own with little support. Decent goal return this season and he has really grown.

Who coincidentally has been released by Swindon.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Excellent, excellent player.

His iffy performances have got less and less as his time at Argyle goes on. Also, his ability level for his best performances has also increased in tandem with his consistency increase. Starting to add regular goals to his game too. Wouldn't be at all surprised if a bid came in this summer.

Mar 23, 2008
Liam Vercoe":1ib23qui said:
Deacster":1ib23qui said:

Who coincidentally has been released by Swindon.
That's interesting, didn't he score last week for them? I would push the boat out to get him, would make a huge difference. Good team player, excellent ball retention and someone who could really help knit the team together.

Sep 28, 2003
London
GreenSam":2zhbas2m said:
Excellent, excellent player.

His iffy performances have got less and less as his time at Argyle goes on. Also, his ability level for his best performances has also increased in tandem with his consistency increase. Starting to add regular goals to his game too. Wouldn't be at all surprised if a bid came in this summer.

Wouldn't be quite as effusive as you Sam, but I largely agree - he could certainly do a job as a squad player in League 1, or possibly even a lower end Championship team.

He just needs a manager who can get him playing more consistently, and with a positive mindset.