Argyle “It is what it is” | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle “It is what it is”

G

Greenskin

HC Green":3p01pxlf said:
The facts don't support your statement.
In the first 4 years in the Championship the team progressed each year from 17th to 14th to 11th to 10th so we were competitive on the field and getting better. Perversely in those 4 years the average attendance went down each year from 16,419 in year 1 to 13,000 in year 4 when we finished 10th.
It is hard to constantly improve and reinvest in better players if your income is on a downward spiral.
The drop of approximately 3,500, per game would mean Argyle's income from gate receipt would be about £1m less in the 4th year compared to year 1. Assuming average £15 admission.

Not arguing with the statistics-they are correct in as far as they go. The fact is though that, until Pulis arrived and carried out his rather grim survival job, Argyle were fighting relegation battles and the momentum had already been lost-casual fans who had previously displayed only a passing interest in Argyle were never going to be attracted on a longer term basis by that and equally would not have been drawn back by finishes of 10th and 11th which, although respectable by Argyle's recent standards, were not really setting the league alight. Exactly the same occurred with attendances at clubs like Burnley and Cardiff at the time but I don't recall them having mid term fire sales, especially in the season that the chairman professed that the club would "go for it".

Aug 5, 2016
HC Green":36vjnboq said:
The facts don't support your statement.
In the first 4 years in the Championship the team progressed each year from 17th to 14th to 11th to 10th so we were competitive on the field and getting better. Perversely in those 4 years the average attendance went down each year from 16,419 in year 1 to 13,000 in year 4 when we finished 10th.
It is hard to constantly improve and reinvest in better players if your income is on a downward spiral.
The drop of approximately 3,500, per game would mean Argyle's income from gate receipt would be about £1m less in the 4th year compared to year 1. Assuming average £15 admission.

The club was £17m in debt, more than missing a few thousand off the gate paying £25 a head.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
High player wages and falling attendances cost us a place in the Championship and led us into administration.

The board at that time attempted to progress so enticed good players by offering high wages (by our standards), that switched to offering high wages just to stay in the Championship. When 87% of turnover is spent on wages there will always be problems.

I feel sorry for the younger fans who have only seen relegations and no promotions over the last 5 or 6 years.

Oct 24, 2010
The truth is, apart from a brief spell under Hollaway, the standard of our football during our time in the Championship was dire and we had an awful home record. The football under Pullis was moderately effective but extremely dull. Had we somehow managed to progress in the Championship playing decent football and win our home games we would have retained and expanded the fan base

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":de52zamy said:
High player wages and falling attendances cost us a place in the Championship and led us into administration.

The board at that time attempted to progress so enticed good players by offering high wages (by our standards), that switched to offering high wages just to stay in the Championship. When 87% of turnover is spent on wages there will always be problems.

I feel sorry for the younger fans who have only seen relegations and no promotions over the last 5 or 6 years.

Well we haven't been relegated for 5 years! Trying to look on the bright side as I always do.

Sep 6, 2006
esmer":snic5foe said:
The truth is, apart from a brief spell under Hollaway, the standard of our football during our time in the Championship was dire and we had an awful home record. The football under Pullis was moderately effective but extremely dull. Had we somehow managed to progress in the Championship playing decent football and win our home games we would have retained and expanded the fan base

Home record wasn't great but don't remember it being awful. Until the last season.

Apr 12, 2016
Balham_Green":12e07jbk said:
esmer":12e07jbk said:

Home record wasn't great but don't remember it being awful. Until the last season.

Agree tbh. Thoroughly enjoyed most of it. Think the issue over the falling crowds was that in the first season you had all these 'biggish' clubs(Leeds, West Ham,Sunderland etc..) playing at HP for the first time in many a year so it drew the crowds in. The year after and in following seasons the 'glamour or novelty' for want of better words wore off.

L

Les Latcham

Unfortunetly the same could be said for the being in the premier league after the first season, the footballing public floating supporters would soon become fed with watching Burnley, Swansea, Sunderland and Hull with 12000 turning up, this is just not a footballing hotbed!!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep, I can remember someone saying What a poo draw' when we drew Newcastle at home in the FA Cup.

May 1, 2011
esmer":11o0hdcy said:

Moderately effective but it saved a doomed side and gave Holloway a platform to build on.

May 1, 2011
It is what it is a a very defeatist British statement. It's accepting of mediocrity and to me that's not acceptable. Low expectations and low standards lead to failure.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Bristol Rich":aivtpvp0 said:
It is what it is a a very defeatist British statement.

socialfeed-team-gb-have-finished-2nd-in-the-medals-table-from-the-bag.png

:greensmile:

Aug 13, 2006
Cornwall
IJN":12e7hlou said:
In my memory Mr Tide I remember the selling took place after the crowds started dwindling. I might well be wrong but that's what my memory tells me.

I do remember I was mystified at the time and I'm still baffled. I won't let anyone off the hook, but I don't think we can blame Stapleton & Co for all of our misfortune.

Yes and I can remember Ollie being surprised at the lower crowds too.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Bristol Rich":1dgydd3m said:
Yes pity it's a rarity! You have checked our international football record?

Oh I see, it's a British football comment is it? Sorry, I didn't realise you meant that.