'Brent' badges? | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

'Brent' badges?

The Grumpy Loyal":zro38jre said:
Bristol Rich":zro38jre said:
The Grumpy Loyal":zro38jre said:
IJN":zro38jre said:
Yep I agree mate.

Let's pick the next one in that long queue or the one after or ........ Oh hang on!!

A week is a long time in football let alone five years. Even by his own admission, there are inquiries on a regular basis.

I don't know what Brent is telling you, but if you think he won't sell up once he has the Freehold and possibly a new planning permission in place, you're painfully naive.

He just needs to go BEFORE attempting to build any sort of excuse for a grandstand.

Then I'll be happy.

I guess with such an expert business brain and such a great insight into what's best with the club you must be a millionaire or certainly connected to millionaires?

It does actually shock me how easily led, easily pleased, and painfully uninformed some people still are.

James Brent wanted to build a 4,100 stand (plan A) later squeezing that (plan B) to a 4,800 stand. Boxed in, with no scope to EVER expand. IMO this would be horrendously BAD for the long term future and prosperity of PAFC. You may disagree but if you do I find that odd.

4,800 is LESS than the Lyndhurst stand opposite. That for me is laughable for a club of our potential with ANY aspirations. You may disagree, but if you do I find that odd.

All rental income (for the units he was ultimately unable to sell) was to go to Akkeron, NOT PAFC. Again, catastrophically BAD for PAFC in the long term. You may disagree, but if you do I find that odd.

After being asked, lobbied, and in some quarters virtually begged for a commitment to a purpose built dedicated supporters bar, Brent still would not add that to his plan. This for me showed a level of contempt for the ordinary fans amongst us that was wholely distasteful. Once again you may disagree, but.....

For me there are a few on these Boards who would, for reasons known only to them, willingly follow Brent off the edge of a cliff if he were inclined to walk that way. People who clearly put Brent getting what he wants over the best interests of PAFC. Well I'm very sorry, but I want better for PAFC's long term future, and the sooner Brent makes his money and vacates, the better.
The development was as big as could fit into the space available. So it was never likely to expand.
Remembering that it had to co exist with the commercial stuff that had to pay for it plus thespace for our
conferencing within it. If we had a multi millionaire with argyle at heart then sure i would expect like
you to get a better stand than what we got as nothing commercial would then be required. JB is no multi
millionaire. For me expansion would always have had to come elsewhere. That leaves the demport unless the whole
horseshoe could be redeveloped. Remembering that we would likely have loads more to spend than on the original
horseshoe if we ever made the promised land.
20k is not enough compared to our historic attendances for sure but this is all seater now. Its a different era.
Crowds of 20k plus for us are not so forthcoming now even doing well in the 2nd tier recently. So are they needed?
If we ever did have a successful spell in tier 2 with capacity crowds realising a profit we could then do mods or
refurbs on the horseshoe to incrementally increase the capacity as we succeed. Railseats hopefully to the fore.
If HHP had been completed with HP reterraced again we could easily have matched our historic attendances of
up to 30k so the stadium size as a whole would have been good compared to old HP. That should be remembered when
talking of size and capacity.
The HHP income for argyle was always going to come from conferencing facilities. Sandy park for eg. It hasnt
been catastophically bad for them it would seem. More like the opposite.
The lobbying for a supporters bar i cannot comment on as i do not know enough about it from both sides of the
argument. I would have thought if there were spare units available then a commercially run far post club would
have been a welcome option in the plans.
Nah. I aint no sheep mate. If i could see in him what you see then maybe i would see the same hatred that i had
for gardner and todd. Dont see it though. Neither do many others including at board level. Whose judgement i
respect and take into account in all this.
Sorry just dont get this brent out stuff at the moment. If that makes me a bit odd to you ok thats just fine.
We both want whats best for argyle in the end. Honest.
I just want us to be a bit more positive, as DA would say, to get the club moving forward off the pitch as well
as on it.

May 1, 2011
The Grumpy Loyal":qdq2hoqu said:
Bristol Rich":qdq2hoqu said:
Bristol Rich":qdq2hoqu said:
IJN":qdq2hoqu said:
Yep I agree mate.

Let's pick the next one in that long queue or the one after or ........ Oh hang on!!

A week is a long time in football let alone five years. Even by his own admission, there are inquiries on a regular basis.

I don't know what Brent is telling you, but if you think he won't sell up once he has the Freehold and possibly a new planning permission in place, you're painfully naive.

He just needs to go BEFORE attempting to build any sort of excuse for a grandstand.

Then I'll be happy.

I guess with such an expert business brain and such a great insight into what's best with the club you must be a millionaire or certainly connected to millionaires?

It does actually shock me how easily led, easily pleased, and painfully uninformed some people still are.

James Brent wanted to build a 4,100 stand (plan A) later squeezing that (plan B) to a 4,800 stand. Boxed in, with no scope to EVER expand. IMO this would be horrendously BAD for the long term future and prosperity of PAFC. You may disagree but if you do I find that odd.

4,800 is LESS than the Lyndhurst stand opposite. That for me is laughable for a club of our potential with ANY aspirations. You may disagree, but if you do I find that odd.

All rental income (for the units he was ultimately unable to sell) was to go to Akkeron, NOT PAFC. Again, catastrophically BAD for PAFC in the long term. You may disagree, but if you do I find that odd.

After being asked, lobbied, and in some quarters virtually begged for a commitment to a purpose built dedicated supporters bar, Brent still would not add that to his plan. This for me showed a level of contempt for the ordinary fans amongst us that was wholely distasteful. Once again you may disagree, but.....

For me there are a few on these Boards who would, for reasons known only to them, willingly follow Brent off the edge of a cliff if he were inclined to walk that way. People who clearly put Brent getting what he wants over the best interests of PAFC. Well I'm very sorry, but I want better for PAFC's long term future, and the sooner Brent makes his money and vacates, the better.

Can I enquire as to your occupation?

You could. If it had any relevance to this thread I might tell you. But it doesn't.

Brent is a successful millionaire who rescued the club from extinction which is a fact not an opinion. Now I'm not saying he has been pefect or faultless but he has shown little inclinatation to asset strip the club for profit. As the owner of the club who has helped clear our debts I have little problem with him making a modest income as he puts a great deal of time and effort into the club.

I doubt you have hadone anywhere near the level of success in your business life compared to Brent, and apart from peddling conspiracy theories you have little or no substance or success of your own to back it up, so you're forgive me and the majority of Argyle supporters if we don't hang off your every word.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Fat_green_belly":3190fuap said:
The Grumpy Loyal":3190fuap said:
Bristol Rich":3190fuap said:
The Grumpy Loyal":3190fuap said:
IJN":3190fuap said:
Yep I agree mate.

Then I'll be happy.

The development was as big as could fit into the space available. So it was never likely to expand.
Remembering that it had to co exist with the commercial stuff that had to pay for it plus thespace for our
conferencing within it. If we had a multi millionaire with argyle at heart then sure i would expect like
you to get a better stand than what we got as nothing commercial would then be required. JB is no multi
millionaire. For me expansion would always have had to come elsewhere. That leaves the demport unless the whole
horseshoe could be redeveloped. Remembering that we would likely have loads more to spend than on the original
20k is not enough compared to our historic attendances for sure but this is all seater now. Its a different era.
Crowds of 20k plus for us are not so forthcoming now even doing well in the 2nd tier recently. So are they needed?
If we ever did have a successful spell in tier 2 with capacity crowds realising a profit we could then do mods or
refurbs on the horseshoe to incrementally increase the capacity as we succeed. Railseats hopefully to the fore.
If HHP had been completed with HP reterraced again we could easily have matched our historic attendances of
up to 30k so the stadium size as a whole would have been good compared to old HP. That should be remembered when
The HHP income for argyle was always going to come from conferencing facilities. Sandy park for eg. It hasnt
The lobbying for a supporters bar i cannot comment on as i do not know enough about it from both sides of the
argument. I would have thought if there were spare units available then a commercially run far post club would
Nah. I aint no sheep mate. If i could see in him what you see then maybe i would see the same hatred that i had
for gardner and todd. Dont see it though. Neither do many others including at board level. Whose judgement i
Sorry just dont get this brent out stuff at the moment. If that makes me a bit odd to you ok thats just fine.
I just want us to be a bit more positive, as DA would say, to get the club moving forward off the pitch as well
as on it.

"That leaves the demport unless the whole horseshoe could be redeveloped."

Beat me to it---that is of course the logical answer. Don't get fixated on one side of the ground when the horseshoe could be taken down and a bigger structure built in its place, If we find ourselves a couple of leagues higher the financial situation could change dramatically for all sorts of reasons and developing the whole footprint of Home Park could become a possibility.

Old Gunner":1c9e2xfi said:
Fat_green_belly":1c9e2xfi said:
The Grumpy Loyal":1c9e2xfi said:
Bristol Rich":1c9e2xfi said:
The Grumpy Loyal":1c9e2xfi said:
IJN":1c9e2xfi said:
Yep I agree mate.

Then I'll be happy.

as on it.

"That leaves the demport unless the whole horseshoe could be redeveloped."

Beat me to it---that is of course the logical answer. Don't get fixated on one side of the ground when the horseshoe could be taken down and a bigger structure built in its place, If we find ourselves a couple of leagues higher the financial situation could change dramatically for all sorts of reasons and developing the whole footprint of Home Park could become a possibility.
Always new gooners were positive types. :thumbup:
From more wealthier climes though which does help.

Nov 2, 2004
Sorry Bristol you could say exactly the same thing about the last lot.They were also succesful busnesmen.Your point is lost on me.Do you just accept what any busness leader says to you?Brent promises endless projects and delivers nothing.Civic centre,pavillions,higher home park and the Torbay project.They are all just pie in the sky.Now we have a promise for 2020,really 2020.I can just imagine how that came about.How can we avoid all these questions about a grandstand,easy tell them it will happen in 2020 the gullible ones will believe anything.He now does not have to mention the grandstand for years,it is happening in 2020 easy.His sicophant followers will believe anything he says.

Jan 3, 2013
We only sold out the ground a couple of times when we were in the Championship, why do we need a bigger ground. As for the vitriolic attacks on Mr Brent on here, when we were going bust the local investors were queueing up weren't they? NOT! JB saved our club, if he makes money from his investment, good for him. Ealing Green, Grumpy Loyal, we realists know the days of "the Sleeping Giant" are long gone, we cannot compete with the big boys anymore, SKY has seen to that.

By all means get "your" grandstand built.......are you going to pay for it, or do you want the club to borrow and go back to the dark days?

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Davie - Hallett is savvy enough to know that once the Freehold is bought the value of his shareholding will rocket overnight, particularly if a new planning permission is granted. That is why he is on board.

Fat Green Belly - A cursory glance at our historical record of actually getting things built through the decades makes your pipedream of the horseshoe getting flattened and redeveloped rather than just build a proper Grandstand in the first place to compliment the horseshoe, a rather dreamy plan. Spend 8-10m on a crap grandstand, then 15-20m down the line on the horseshoe?? Good luck with that coming to fruition.

Bristol Rich - So in essence, if you're not a multi-millionaire businessman, don't EVER question what multi-millionaire businessman want to do. Remind me how that went last time?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Grumpy - are you actually going to offer us a costed, viable alternative at any point or, as usual, are you only here to act as the prophet of doom? Tell you what don't bother answering, you haven't bothered answering anyone else's questions posed in this thread.

Nov 2, 2004
Just so you understand me knarf,I have no problem with Mr Brent as a chairman.He is doing ok,his main atribute being to appoint decent managers which is vital.My problem is his constant almost Walter Mitty efforts at building projects.I will repeat he has completed none despite promises to various Councils.Yet people on here just accept that he will do it,why?he is in it for money nothing else.There is also a myth that continues on here that we have a top playing budget yet I noted with interest that Adams again said this week at the end of a player interview "everybody knows we do not have one of the leagues best budgets.Yet people will still spout with great confidence because they are in the know that we do.They even convinced me that this season we did have a big budget.Straight from the horses mouth Mr Adams WE DO NOT HAVE A TOP BUDGET.This makes Adams achievments top drawer.

Feb 18, 2009
Plymouth
The Grumpy Loyal":raccx005 said:
Davie - Hallett is savvy enough to know that once the Freehold is bought the value of his shareholding will rocket overnight, particularly if a new planning permission is granted. That is why he is on board.

Fat Green Belly - A cursory glance at our historical record of actually getting things built through the decades makes your pipedream of the horseshoe getting flattened and redeveloped rather than just build a proper Grandstand in the first place to compliment the horseshoe, a rather dreamy plan. Spend 8-10m on a crap grandstand, then 15-20m down the line on the horseshoe?? Good luck with that coming to fruition.

Bristol Rich - So in essence, if you're not a multi-millionaire businessman, don't EVER question what multi-millionaire businessman want to do. Remind me how that went last time?

Touched a nerve there methinks.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
ealinggreen":bqocs85d said:
Just so you understand me knarf,I have no problem with Mr Brent as a chairman.He is doing ok,his main atribute being to appoint decent managers which is vital.My problem is his constant almost Walter Mitty efforts at building projects.I will repeat he has completed none despite promises to various Councils.Yet people on here just accept that he will do it,why?he is in it for money nothing else.There is also a myth that continues on here that we have a top playing budget yet I noted with interest that Adams again said this week at the end of a player interview "everybody knows we do not have one of the leagues best budgets.Yet people will still spout with great confidence because they are in the know that we do.They even convinced me that this season we did have a big budget.Straight from the horses mouth Mr Adams WE DO NOT HAVE A TOP BUDGET.This makes Adams achievments top drawer.

Terminology is everything here. I imagine A number of relegated teams and also one or two who were in this division last season will have a lot of money tied up in existing contracts and overall will be spending on wages a lot more than we are. In terms of what Adams had available to spend I would think he had the biggest amount over the summer. The more he dumbs down the budget the better he looks, it also helps with agents and negotiations.

Let's face it, very few know what Adams has available let alone what others have. It's foolish to speculate either way and even more foolish to draw the conclusion that because Adams says he doesn't have THE top budget also means that James Brent is ripping the playing side at the expense of the back room projects.

Tell me honestly ealing - have you listened (in full) to the forum meeting? Freely available on the club website. Have you also noted the amount of times that Adams has said that he understands and is happy with the playing budget he has available?

Nov 2, 2004
He didnt say top budget.He said one of the top budgets.He is in the know so I accept that it is more likely to be true than the thoughts of posters on here.I did not suggest he is ripping the playing budget.My main point is that his building progects are all hot air and how anyone can think differently is beyond me.Grandstand in 2020 made me giggle,it is just spin which keeps his followers happy.

ealinggreen":39rtpsgi said:
The projects you list were supposed to be done one after the other from what i recall.
The funding for the civic centre and pavilion projects were to be released when HHP was completed.
All 3 projects were linked. Maybe the torbay one as well. So in essence it was one big project.
So the key was HHP which we know failed due to various companies pulling out and then bretonside.
It wasnt just pie in the sky to him as he lost money involved in the planning of it.
So he is doing ok as a chairman and you have no problem with him in being "in it for the money nothing else"?
If he was in it just for the money i could understand your doom and gloom but 5 years or so of rebuilding
the club, come on give the guy a chance. If he was in it for the money nothing else then why are the other
argyle board members who we know are not in it just for the money not resigning in protest?
As for the playing budget it must be adequate as we are doing well within it. I dont think DA would sign a
long term 4 year deal if he thought he would not be getting the financial backing he required.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
ealinggreen":ttx60leq said:
He didnt say top budget.He said one of the top budgets.He is in the know so I accept that it is more likely to be true than the thoughts of posters on here.I did not suggest he is ripping the playing budget.My main point is that his building progects are all hot air and how anyone can think differently is beyond me.Grandstand in 2020 made me giggle,it is just spin which keeps his followers happy.

Answer my question about listening to the forum.

At no point did he promise anything by 2020.

By constantly repeating that he did, or listening to others that say he did, doesn't make it so.

So what is "top" 3, 6, 10?

Adams has said he is happy with the budget - what's your point?