Jimmy Spencer | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Jimmy Spencer

Aug 11, 2013
Argy1e":3rrz0phi said:
We've only lost two league games that Spencer has started this season. Luton (H) and Carlisle (A).

Think his contribution is seriously underestimated. People have short memories. I recall a lot of concern when he got injured. We just didn't function. 2 of the best chances against Doncaster were created by Spencer. He sent Carey away on the left who should have crossed to Jervis for 2-0 but he shot ... much to Jervis chagrin. He then put Jervis in who shot early and wide of right hand post. His control of some of the hospital balls in his direction were phenomenal at times. And he's a nuisance - if you look at his pressure on opposing defenders half the headers were poor and stifled by his presence. It's a very difficult role to play. You're often up against 2 defenders and you have to keep possession long enough for the team to get up the pitch.

After the serious injury he suffered then the ankle must be on your mind when you're getting yourself back in to playing. It's going to make you a bit defensive and tentative so give the guy a break. He looked knackered when he came off after a thankless shift. He's a grafter and I'm an admirer personally.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I appreciate he's isolated and having to work thanklessly in the lone striker role. However we had players doing that last year much more effectively. Brunt, Reid, Matt, were often isolated and still came up with goals/influential contributions.

I'd be happier if Spencer was having efforts on goal and missing, but he's not really doing that and when he is it's sparingly. He's not a goal threat of any kind. Look at the likes of Marquis, Hylton, Godden etc. These are what centre forwards in promotion chasing teams look like.

If a striker is only going to deliver you two goals a year then by god he's going to have to be exceptional at the rest of his job, and unfortunately he's not.

I'd much rather have a lazy striker like Reuben Reid scoring 15 a season, than a grafter like Spencer scoring twice.

When we go up, we should be aiming a LOT higher than Spencer (same goes for other players, he's not the only one).

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Terrible as a lone front man
Might be better with someone in close proximity but we'll never know

Sep 23, 2005
Thought he was awful in the Donny match and this with the enhanced view via the TV cameras. Posty suggested he was acting as a decoy to eep the centre halves occupied? Surely the idea is that he actually contributes something more by maybe heading the ball or retaining possession? His touch was terrible and he seemed to jump before the ball arrived. His only shot was a shinned miss.

Taylor comes on and immediately created a chance so it's got to be Taylor over JS for me every time. A decoy with added benefits.

Sep 25, 2010
up_the_line":37dv75oy said:
Terrible as a lone front man
Might be better with someone in close proximity but we'll never know

You have to be joking,

He has been underrated all season. What about Wycombe away recently, probably our best player on the night

Dec 30, 2011
When I fist saw him in the Luton match I said he don't look like a footballer. Clearly he improved greatly after but I still don't rate him. Lightweight, similar to Warren Feeney. That said, he doesn't pick the team, so its Adams we should criticise, not Spencer.

I see mention of Steve Adams in this thread - don't rate him either. 100% effort but couldn't pass a ball to save his life. Went off to Torquay if I remember rightly, which says it all.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
greensalt":3ljp23ag said:
That said, he doesn't pick the team, so its Adams we should criticise, not Spencer.
The record when Spencer plays (particularly when he starts) is far superior to the record when he's not involved.

Jan 3, 2013
Argy1e":j8ddhd7c said:
greensalt":j8ddhd7c said:
That said, he doesn't pick the team, so its Adams we should criticise, not Spencer.
The record when Spencer plays (particularly when he starts) is far superior to the record when he's not involved.
Exactly, but see the posts above from people insulting my opinion!

Feb 2, 2007
As much as I felt Spencer was poor on the ball on Sunday his positional play, workrate and tenacity does make him a nuisance for two centre backs. He has been in the winning team a lot and we were very inconsistent without him.

Under-rated at L2 but even with his attributes contributing to a mainly winning team, I think he would struggle in L1