Brief synopsis (Col Utd) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief synopsis (Col Utd)

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Cult Of Personality":1rz7syu7 said:
up_the_line":1rz7syu7 said:
nick_PASTIE":1rz7syu7 said:
up_the_line":1rz7syu7 said:
Cobi Budge":1rz7syu7 said:
Promoted with 3 games to go and now in with a shot at the title, not enough for some people though, no idea what they expect.

Put it this way. This afternoon's 'entertainment' has put new off bothering with the crewe game. Joyless. Atmosphere was almost funereal which normally wouldn't be the case for a promoted side. Ask yourself why?

Another sign of today's "instant gratification" society!

Joyless?- Newport at home, Exeter both games, Liverpool games, Stevenage home, Donny both games, Yeovil home, Blackpool away, Newport away league, Wycombe home, Carlisle home, Pompey, and that's off the top of my head.

Newport and Exeter. The rest were as dull as today and frankly Liverpool were there for the taking as wolves showed but we were just delighted to have a home park full of people who will never go again... If that's a precious moment for you fair enough. Personally I remember moments from the Shilton and Holloway seasons right now when Argyle came onto the pitch with the sole intent to score more than the opposition, and I've have already forgotten this afternoon. In fact I wish I'd stayed in London for the afternoon and before you snipe my voice is hoarse from trying to encourage the team, moreso than the vast majority of the away end today, but I don't blane them for their lack of noise

Lack of noise.... Rubbish I was sat behind Mrs Adams I think and she was giving it all the whole game which was great to see. Also the fans were singing all game..

Why don't you stay in London next time Argyle play
What made you think that Mrs Adams was there?

Jul 12, 2016
Agree with German Shepherd sentiments.Chuffed that we've been promoted but just doesn't feel like it.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
And still no goals conceded from corners since switching to a zonal marking system at corners at the Exeter game at home.
Before that we were leaking too many goals at corners.

Aug 5, 2016
up_the_line":39va8rkf said:
Cobi Budge":39va8rkf said:
Promoted with 3 games to go and now in with a shot at the title, not enough for some people though, no idea what they expect.

Put it this way. This afternoon's 'entertainment' has put new off bothering with the crewe game. Joyless. Atmosphere was almost funereal which normally wouldn't be the case for a promoted side. Ask yourself why?

You poor Dear!

I can't believe Adams didn't win another match for you. What a nasty man he is.

Mar 14, 2009
PL2 3DQ":yxxorl74 said:
And still no goals conceded from corners since switching to a zonal marking system at corners at the Exeter game at home.
Before that we were leaking too many goals at corners.

True. Although in the Accrington game they did score from a free kick from out wide. It was scored by not the biggest of players. To be fair the ball in was quality.

Although you are right he does seem to be working, from a personal point of view l think this highlights a weakness in zonal marking where the opposition can run onto the ball and they have an advantage l believe because they are "attacking" the ball where as our defenders are more static.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
If you think we were 'defensive' then you clearly didn't go or you weren't actually watching. We set up to win the game, even their manager said as much at full time. Both teams had a similar number of proper chances. During the last ten minutes, we were playing 424 with Adams screaming at the players to get further forward, it was open and entertaining.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
424? That's cheating

Dec 29, 2011
Have to agree with German Shepherd on the overall quality of performance this season.Have seen every game so far, and apart from no more than a handful of games, have we ever looked in control of a game .I cannot knock the effort and application of this team as we have players prepared to put their bodies on the line at all times
In the end we had to get out of this league and I applaud the management for achieving this,But if we keep inviting teams on to us in league one ,I fear the worst .We saw from the Newport game what some of our players are capable of when the brakes are taken off.Yes we have to keep our shape, but let me have some fingernails at the end of next season.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I've just sussed who you are! :greensmile:

Completely agree.

I have the feeling though that DA is so clever at what he does that he will adapt completely to his surroundings.

It'll be fun finding out, that's for sure.

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
The Night Riveria":dizpzdo9 said:
Have to agree with German Shepherd on the overall quality of performance this season.Have seen every game so far, and apart from no more than a handful of games, have we ever looked in control of a game .I cannot knock the effort and application of this team as we have players prepared to put their bodies on the line at all times
In the end we had to get out of this league and I applaud the management for achieving this,But if we keep inviting teams on to us in league one ,I fear the worst .We saw from the Newport game what some of our players are capable of when the brakes are taken off.Yes we have to keep our shape, but let me have some fingernails at the end of next season.

Agree in part but we were up with 3 games to spare, and all but up a couple games before that. Hardly a nail biting end to the season!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Is League Two set up for a footballing attacking team to do well?

Would a team like that do well against Wycombe, Newport (on their pitch), Barnet, Crawley, Cheltenham etc?

I think Adams realised from his experience of last season that his team needed to match the more robust teams and sacrifice a pleasing on the eye team so he went out and signed players with height and muscle to bite and scratch with just the right quality in other areas of the team.

With the quality of Carey, Kennedy, McCormick and Fox shining through we were able to win many tight games.

May 16, 2016
PL2 3DQ":1hvpuoaf said:

Would a team like that do well against Wycombe, Newport (on their pitch), Barnet, Crawley, Cheltenham etc?

I think Adams realised from his experience of last season that his team needed to match the more robust teams and sacrifice a pleasing on the eye team so he went out and signed players with height and muscle to bite and scratch with just the right quality in other areas of the team.

With the quality of Carey, Kennedy, McCormick and Fox shining through we were able to win many tight games.

Which is exactly what I recall several posters on here saying he should do after last Season.

Now, apparently it's made us as dull as ditch water and not worthy of one of the top spots. :)

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
German Shepherd could not agree more about this season, not taking anything away from DA but this is the poorest promotion teams out of the seven I have seen, we certainly have had our share of luck of the games I have seen this season, then I remember a quote from the great Arnold Palmer when some one said to him "you were luck today" Arnie replied "yes the more I practice the luckier I get" that is most probably where we are with the hard work the team puts in on the training ground. Let's hope next season we are more convincing and sort out our home form.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":21qz212d said:

I'd argue Pompey are a good footballing side, they've played us off the park in large spells over the 2 games. Doncaster aren't exactly a boring side either. I won't complain though, it's worked out for us with our style of play!

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
LeonTheGreen":auucdyii said:
PL2 3DQ":auucdyii said:

I'd argue Pompey are a good footballing side, they've played us off the park in large spells over the 2 games. Doncaster aren't exactly a boring side either. I won't complain though, it's worked out for us with our style of play!

And neither side beat us. Even kept a clean sheet against Donny twice.