Grandstand Update | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Grandstand Update

Do you like the stage 1 plans for the grandstand?

• Yes

Votes: 206 77.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 13.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 25 9.4%

• Total voters

derbygreen

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2003
Paignton....was Derby
Knarf Reprah":1w1tbd22 said:
Get real, 20000? What do we want that big a capacity for?

You are having a laugh right? 20k big? Should be looking at possibilities bigger and beyond if we ever reach the promised land.

Think small and you always will be.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
derbygreen":6stz55wq said:
Knarf Reprah":6stz55wq said:

You are having a laugh right? 20k big? Should be looking at possibilities bigger and beyond if we ever tab the promised land.

One word....... Darlington

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Lundan Cabbie":nxg68e8b said:
derbygreen":nxg68e8b said:
Knarf Reprah":nxg68e8b said:

You are having a laugh right? 20k big? Should be looking at possibilities bigger and beyond if we ever tab the promised land.

Ridiculous comparison.
Darlington less than half the size of Plymouth, with multiple historically successful clubs in the vicinity and with minute average attendances to begin with. A ground holding more than 12k was always going to be a disaster for them.
Anyone seriously suggesting Argyle should limit the scope of their ambition to less than 20k because of the Darlington case study is deranged

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Lundan Cabbie":328bfowm said:
derbygreen":328bfowm said:
Knarf Reprah":328bfowm said:

Prem fan looks down on his lowly local club, nice.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
up_the_line":3iwi7f7e said:
Lundan Cabbie":3iwi7f7e said:
derbygreen":3iwi7f7e said:
Knarf Reprah":3iwi7f7e said:

Ridiculous comparison.
Darlington less than half the size of Plymouth, with multiple historically successful clubs in the vicinity and with minute average attendances to begin with. A ground holding more than 12k was always going to be a disaster for them.
Anyone seriously suggesting Argyle should limit the scope of their ambition to less than 20k because of the Darlington case study is deranged

Who is saying that Argyle shouldn't have ambition? I'm just suggesting that a stadium of that size isn't needed just yet. Only 5 times in 30 years has HP seen gates go over 20k. As long as there is room for expansion then greater capacity is wasted at this moment in time. I'm not saying Argyle's fate is ever going to that which was Darlington but just that they wasted money when they didn't need to.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
SwimWithTheTide":2wfd6718 said:
Lundan Cabbie":2wfd6718 said:
derbygreen":2wfd6718 said:
Knarf Reprah":2wfd6718 said:

Prem fan looks down on his lowly local club, nice.

Not at all. My own club could do with a bigger capacity now but we didn't need it in our recent past. We are hemmed in negotiations are slow with the neighbours. If Argyle are to learn anything from our situation, it is to ensure that there remains the room for expansion when needed.

Aug 7, 2005
Paignton
I'm sure there will be room for expansion. I hated the previous plans as they built all the way round with no realistic expansion. If the plans now are shynof 20,000 but could be increased to 20,000 by filling in the corners later that's fine. We don't need 20,000 in league 1 but hopefully will in the future. As long as there is genuine room for further expansion I'm happy

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I'm confused by Lundan Cabbie and Frank...

I'd completely agree if we were talking about 30-40k but the Home Park capacity was 20k+ ANYWAY when it was fully seated.

To say now that 20k is too much is utterly barmy, when that's effectively what the stadium is currently equipped to hold with seats.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Biggs":6ktrjvym said:

I'd completely agree if we were talking about 30-40k but the Home Park capacity was 20k+ ANYWAY when it was fully seated.

To say now that 20k is too much is utterly barmy, when that's effectively what the stadium is currently equipped to hold with seats.

When was Home Park fully seated in the past?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Biggs":3nyed8xi said:

If the budget was greater then there would be no problem. The important aspect of this project is below decks. Restaurants, bars, lounges & kitchens as well as toilet facilities fit for conferencing guests. More seats, a new roof or even a complete new stand can come in the future when funds are available.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Andy_S":53h2ctxz said:
Biggs":53h2ctxz said:

When was Home Park fully seated in the past?

In the Championship, when we had to convert the standing terrace to seating.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Lundan Cabbie":2ebsnhd3 said:
Biggs":2ebsnhd3 said:

If the budget was greater then there would be no problem. The important aspect of this project is below decks. Restaurants, bars, lounges & kitchens as well as toilet facilities fit for conferencing guests. More seats, a new roof or even a complete new stand can come in the future when funds are available.

Agree, but the point I'm making is that a capacity of c20k will be achieved simply by reinserting seats that were there previously. No fundamental expansion necessary.

The only reason the capacity is 16,500 now is because the Mayflower terrace is unseated and unused.

Jan 3, 2013
Biggs":1dksz05r said:
Lundan Cabbie":1dksz05r said:
Biggs":1dksz05r said:

Agree, but the point I'm making is that a capacity of c20k will be achieved simply by reinserting seats that were there previously. No fundamental expansion necessary.

The only reason the capacity is 16,500 now is because the Mayflower terrace is unseated and unused.
i reckon in the championship years we only sold out twice at 19,900, so why do we require a bigger capacity?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Let's not go down that road again, the arguments against a 20k+ stadium have been thoroughly debunked time and again. Often with a simple explanation of how averages work, and a mild dose of aspiration that we don't continue to be England's most underachieving football club.

What I find odd is people like yourself querying why we're aspiring towards a c20k ground when that is effectively what it is ALREADY. Even if the redevelopment merely put seats into the grandstand again, it would be around 20k. To make it much less, you'd have to purposefully work to make the stadium smaller, which would probably be harder than making it bigger. So I'd ask you again... how can you have a problem with a 20,000 capacity?