Play offs | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Play offs

Dec 22, 2016
Barnstaple
John Cooper":11k3l7sv said:
Deacster":11k3l7sv said:
Remember our first home game after promotion to league 1 under Warnock and we played Millwall at home. Fairly average game, finished as a draw and saw a group of their fans getting back on the bus with their shirts off and blood all over them. Has no place in football.

I'm out with limited access to internet, are you sure it was Millwall? I was working offshore in NZ at the time but thought Milwall was a few matches into season? Could someone with easy access to GOS pse confirm?

I think Deacster is thinking of the first game back in the championship, 04/05. Millwall was first home game of that season.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
mervyn":dhugwmkg said:
Got my tickets for the league 2 final, Blackpool end. At the end of last year's final my son-in-law (sadly a Tottenham supporter) suggested, as we left the ground trying to cheer me up, that the following year if argyle got automatic promotion, then we should return and enjoy the game as neutrals, feeling smug with Tottenham as champions and argyle already up. Sadly for hiim his lot didn't make it, but he kept his word and got the tickets. Can't wait.

Tottenham champions ?, suppose someone better contact Chelsea and ask for the premier league trophy back then. The mere fact that Tottenham fans are celebrating finishing above Arsenal like they have won the world cup shows how mickey mouse they have always been and always will be.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Argyle-sy":pe8y5niz said:
mervyn":pe8y5niz said:
Got my tickets for the league 2 final, Blackpool end. At the end of last year's final my son-in-law (sadly a Tottenham supporter) suggested, as we left the ground trying to cheer me up, that the following year if argyle got automatic promotion, then we should return and enjoy the game as neutrals, feeling smug with Tottenham as champions and argyle already up. Sadly for hiim his lot didn't make it, but he kept his word and got the tickets. Can't wait.

Tottenham champions ?, suppose someone better contact Chelsea and ask for the premier league trophy back then. The mere fact that Tottenham fans are celebrating finishing above Arsenal like they have won the world cup shows how mickey mouse they have always been and always will be.

You seem to have a bit of a disliking to Spurs. Are you sure you aren't on Pasoti by mistake and were supposed to sign up to an Arsenal forum instead?

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
LeonTheGreen":3l9m0425 said:
Argyle-sy":3l9m0425 said:
mervyn":3l9m0425 said:

You seem to have a bit of a disliking to Spurs. Are you sure you aren't on Pasoti by mistake and were supposed to sign up to an Arsenal forum instead?

I've followed Argyle for over 30 years son, I think I have just as much right to comment on PASOTI than you have, in fact I would say even more so considering I have been a member on here longer than you have :)

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
LeonTheGreen":kftvwkzq said:
Argyle-sy":kftvwkzq said:
mervyn":kftvwkzq said:

I've followed Argyle for over 30 years son, I think I have just as much right to comment on PASOTI than you have, in fact I would say even more so considering I have been a member on here longer than you have :)

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
LeonTheGreen":2tyikqnj said:
Argyle-sy":2tyikqnj said:
mervyn":2tyikqnj said:

For the record I have never hidden the fact that Arsenal were and will always be my first love, my dad first took me to Highbury 40 years ago so I have always stated that Arsenal are my team. However I have followed Argyle since my first match which was the John Uzzel testimonial in 1986 and have been to hundreds of Aryle games home and away since so I think that gives me just as much right to post on an Argyle related forum as you or any other poster.

Lundan Cabbie":2st8q8q2 said:
mervyn":2st8q8q2 said:

You can have loads of Wembley trips with your son next season :)

Since my OP I've visited Blackpool' s fans forum to discover that they're boycotting the game big time, even referring to those who go as scabs. I was aware of their dislike of the Oystons, but it goes back so far I can't find the cause. Can anyone enlighten me?

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
There's 7 pages here which gives you an insights:

Oyston Out

B

Bunny

Afternoon Pilgrims,

I was going to congratulate you on your promotion anyway, but waiting to see if we (Millwall) would be playing you next season first. As a visit to Plymouth would have been one of the few highlights!

As for our turn out Wembley on Saturday. What you have to remember is that Millwall have played at Wembley 5 times in 8 seasons, or 6 times in the last 18 years. When we played Wigan in the AWS Cup in 1999 49,500 Millwall fans went, when we played Scunthorpe in 2009 in the L1 Play-Off Final we took 49,500 again. 44,000 went to the following year's final v Swindon. We played there last season. The point being that every Millwall fan or person connected to the club has watched Millwall at Wembley now.

Therefore, another way of looking at it, is that 28,000 in the stands and 5,000 in the executive seats & boxes represent Millwall's 'hardcore' support for a League One final at Wembley. That is pretty damn good. If you consider that when the club enforced a members only policy for home games after the Birmingham riot & you had to hand in a passport picture & utility bills to join (so a lot of hassle) and 24,000 did, that statement is about right.

The majority of tickets not sold out for our visit on Saturday were the £80 ones. And again that makes sense, all Millwall fans & their families have seen us at Wembley, most people with only a passing interest passed up an expensive day out. I don't think many people took all their family this time, as it is a very expensive day out & as outlined above, every single person with any connection to the club must have been to Wembley in the last 8 years. And afterall, it was only a Third Division game at the end of the day. When you looked around & heard people talk it had the feel of just a very big home game - i.e. it felt like most were proper Millwall fans that at least try and get to one game a season. Over 210,000 people came to The Den last season - so 20,000 individuals is about right.

And yes, the 200 who went on the pitch are idiots. I imagine the club will only sell tickets to sths and members of if we are lucky enough to get to another final, maybe 2 each, so that would restrict us to circa 22,000-24,000 at the moment. But, at least it would all be accountable.

As for the person saying Millwall aren't surrounded by big clubs, just Charlton & Palace. Well, both have played in the Premier League, they do restrict our catchment area to Southwark & Lewisham; and even then Palace do encroach in the south of Lewisham & Southwark, and Charlton in the east of Lewisham. However, both Arsenal and Chelsea play no more than 7 miles from The Den, or a short tube journey away. So, if both of those two clubs played just 7 miles from Home Park you think it would have zero affect on Plymouth gates? Furthermore, West Ham (while not everyone's cup of tea :sick: ) can be reached on the Jubilee Line and so can attract the uncommitted from our side of the river too. Thankfully, Tottenham Hotspur are 'only' 10 miles away.

So, if Arsenal moved to Saltash and Chelsea to Roborough and Spurs to Yelverton that would have no affect on Plymouth Argyle's potential to attract fans to watch lower division football? Come on. Remember, the London Borough of Southwark (Millwall's main hotbed of support) only has a slightly larger population. As a Spanish friend from Madrid said to me once, clubs like Millwall simply would not exist in Spain, and they certainly wouldn't average 8-12,000 most years or take 28-49,000 to Third tier Finals. We are so busy willy waving about crowds in this country these days, we forget how great England is at supporting all its clubs - the fact that Rochdale exist & have a loyal following is amazing, but I guess it's easier to say 'they only get 3,000, how crap'.

Bunny":3p092s32 said:
Afternoon Pilgrims,

I was going to congratulate you on your promotion anyway, but waiting to see if we (Millwall) would be playing you next season first. As a visit to Plymouth would have been one of the few highlights!

As for our turn out Wembley on Saturday. What you have to remember is that Millwall have played at Wembley 5 times in 8 seasons, or 6 times in the last 18 years. When we played Wigan in the AWS Cup in 1999 49,500 Millwall fans went, when we played Scunthorpe in 2009 in the L1 Play-Off Final we took 49,500 again. 44,000 went to the following year's final v Swindon. We played there last season. The point being that every Millwall fan or person connected to the club has watched Millwall at Wembley now.

Therefore, another way of looking at it, is that 28,000 in the stands and 5,000 in the executive seats & boxes represent Millwall's 'hardcore' support for a League One final at Wembley. That is pretty damn good. If you consider that when the club enforced a members only policy for home games after the Birmingham riot & you had to hand in a passport picture & utility bills to join (so a lot of hassle) and 24,000 did, that statement is about right.

The majority of tickets not sold out for our visit on Saturday were the £80 ones. And again that makes sense, all Millwall fans & their families have seen us at Wembley, most people with only a passing interest passed up an expensive day out. I don't think many people took all their family this time, as it is a very expensive day out & as outlined above, every single person with any connection to the club must have been to Wembley in the last 8 years. And afterall, it was only a Third Division game at the end of the day. When you looked around & heard people talk it had the feel of just a very big home game - i.e. it felt like most were proper Millwall fans that at least try and get to one game a season. Over 210,000 people came to The Den last season - so 20,000 individuals is about right.

And yes, the 200 who went on the pitch are idiots. I imagine the club will only sell tickets to sths and members of if we are lucky enough to get to another final, maybe 2 each, so that would restrict us to circa 22,000-24,000 at the moment. But, at least it would all be accountable.

As for the person saying Millwall aren't surrounded by big clubs, just Charlton & Palace. Well, both have played in the Premier League, they do restrict our catchment area to Southwark & Lewisham; and even then Palace do encroach in the south of Lewisham & Southwark, and Charlton in the east of Lewisham. However, both Arsenal and Chelsea play no more than 7 miles from The Den, or a short tube journey away. So, if both of those two clubs played just 7 miles from Home Park you think it would have zero affect on Plymouth gates? Furthermore, West Ham (while not everyone's cup of tea :sick: ) can be reached on the Jubilee Line and so can attract the uncommitted from our side of the river too. Thankfully, Tottenham Hotspur are 'only' 10 miles away.

So, if Arsenal moved to Saltash and Chelsea to Roborough and Spurs to Yelverton that would have no affect on Plymouth Argyle's potential to attract fans to watch lower division football? Come on. Remember, the London Borough of Southwark (Millwall's main hotbed of support) only has a slightly larger population. As a Spanish friend from Madrid said to me once, clubs like Millwall simply would not exist in Spain, and they certainly wouldn't average 8-12,000 most years or take 28-49,000 to Third tier Finals. We are so busy willy waving about crowds in this country these days, we forget how great England is at supporting all its clubs - the fact that Rochdale exist & have a loyal following is amazing, but I guess it's easier to say 'they only get 3,000, how crap'.

Tell me bunny, I know it's only a minority, but nonetheless why does millwall have a history for violence going back 50 years, and when is it going to change in your opinion?

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Blackpool have only sold about 6,000 tickets as the fans continue their protest - impressive stance I think. Think quite a few people expected supporters to capitulate to the lure of Wembley

Exeter have sold over 15,000 I believe.

As we know only too well though having the larger support counts for little on the pitch.

Oct 31, 2015
cheshiregreen":1d7dcd25 said:
Exeter have sold over 15,000 I believe.

Is that all!!!!!TINPOT at best

Well done to the blackpool fans mind. That is some community stance against their owner although do they realise the money gets spread smongst lg 2 and not 50 50