Kelvin Mellor tweet to Argyle fans amongst others | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Kelvin Mellor tweet to Argyle fans amongst others

Mar 23, 2008
Akos Bubacksy":30kx109u said:
Deacster":30kx109u said:
Very level headed post and good luck to him. Some of the abuse goes too far, didn't rate him as a defender but as a wing back he's been effective. That said last season we had too many players who couldn't dig in and grind results when the chips were down and that cost us promotion and Mellor was part of that issue. That attempt at defending at Wembley ruined several thousands of fans day.

You can't seriously blame Mellor for that defeat!?! What about the rest of the poor performances.

Also if you actually watch Lyle Taylor's goal (which was a good goal) it was actually Hartley who lost his man and Mellor was only guilty of letting Taylor get in front of him as the front man.
People also seem to forget all the other poor performances that day. What about Jordan Forster for the penalty? Carey for his terrible deliveries that day......
You win, lose or draw as a team (management and all). Yes the players did not perform to their full potential but it is not as if Mellor was sent off for violence or a wreckless tackle.

The Mellor bashing was and is stupid.
It is a team game, win or lose BUT each player has accountability and do that extent I do think it was a huge mistake in a tight match that was finely balanced at 0-0. We all make mistakes in our line of work but let's be honest, some of our colleagues are more prone to errors that others.

Apr 1, 2009
The tweet does not actually indicate that he was upset by abuse on Pasoti, as opposed to abuse from crowds and within local media, social media etc.

Yes, some of the abuse was OTT, but that's nothing new in football. It's always been part of the game, and it always will be. If he (or any other player) was/is liable to be upset by what appears online, they really shouldn't read fans websites.

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
The poor darling. I never subscribed to the abuse of Mellor at games, as abusing our players won't get them playing any better. But privately I always thought the guy was like Bambi on ice. Would fall over trying to control the ball, always had a rick in him

Perhaps if he'd spent more time concentrating during games and less time getting his feelings hurt by the nasty crowd, he'd still be here. As it is, he left Argyle for an inferior team. Blackpool needed the playoffs, we didn't. So I'm not sure giving it the big one on Twitter is really appropriate.

Jan 27, 2012
We all have different opinions about players but the bottom line is that Mellor has proven he is a good player by being a regular in a good Argyle side last year and a promotion winning team this year.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
gaspargomez":3upe414i said:
We all have different opinions about players but the bottom line is that Mellor has proven he is a good player by being a regular in a good Argyle side last year and a promotion winning team this year.

He can certainly show his medals at League 2 level.

Dec 21, 2015
so how come the abuse didn't spur him on last season ???

is is saying he only used that abuse to spur him on once he left Argyle .... strange when you are a professional athlete paid to perform

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
4evergreen":7vvx5f1b said:
Say what you like about Mellor but he was a hell of an improvement on his predecessor Durrell Berry.

And his successor Miller who gets a nose bleed every time he crosses the half way line

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
At times Mellor appeared to make mistakes, but unfortunately last season he had a goalkeeper playing behind him who'd "lost his mojo".
Many Argyle fans have a belief in "one of our own" and are frequently blinded by that.
I'd sooner have Mellor at RB than Millar, but that is my opinion.
My opinions are my opinions, I once (in the car to excretia) famously demanded that R. Reid be dropped, and, who scored a hat trick that day?
I believe Mellors apparent mistakes were in fact no worse than Sawyers who falls into the " one of our own" category.
At the end of the day, I demand 100% from an Argyle player, whether wearing the shirt on the pitch, or whilst representing the club off the pitch. I still think Mellor did that.
IMO, on reflection, Mellor got more poo from supporters, than was warranted.
Glad he's done well.
Tin Hat on.

P

Positively Green

"At the end of the day, I demand 100% from an Argyle player, whether wearing the shirt on the pitch, or whilst representing the club off the pitch. I still think Mellor did that.
IMO, on reflection, Mellor got more poo from supporters, than was warranted.
Glad he's done well."

I agree 100%.

Mar 18, 2014
I agree also

I remember a penalty at Accrington, Luke immediately berated Nelson & Hartley, since their p!ss poor positioning had left Mellor 1-on-1 with their centre forward. No-one of course gave them pair any flack, it was all solely down to Mellor. I think people should try watching a match with their blinkers off, there is normally more to errors than one person.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Much of the abuse he got was over the top and he did contribute plenty going forward, but I'm at a loss as to how anyone can try to defend or excuse his error at Wembley, Hartley may have lost his man but Mellor attempted to head a ball at ankle height for no reason with the game balanced at 0 0...

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
I remember Bristol Rovers away in the first half when he was running down the flank alongside which the away fans were stood. The amount of abuse he got that day was incredible. I'm sure he'd have had more support in the second half from the home fans!

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Vampires11":1q9j737i said:
I agree also

I remember a penalty at Accrington, Luke immediately berated Nelson & Hartley, since their p!ss poor positioning had left Mellor 1-on-1 with their centre forward. No-one of course gave them pair any flack, it was all solely down to Mellor. I think people should try watching a match with their blinkers off, there is normally more to errors than one person.

Yes but instead of trying to tackle the player he lay all over him. It was a pee poor bit of defending.