Joel Grant (ex Grecian) signs. | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Joel Grant (ex Grecian) signs.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Watching the Exeter semi finals against Carlisle I thought he really stood out as an attacking talent going forward, but on a couple of occasions his finishing let him down.

Wide attacking options are looking fairly exciting in this squad now.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
Deacster":qlnodpvw said:
briangreen":qlnodpvw said:
Looks exciting there, with him and Ainsworth we now have two pacey wingers whereas last year we had none until Kennedy signed. Change in style maybe?

Time will tell.. I have wondered if there is pressure on Derek Adams from Simon Hallett now to adapt things to improve the on pitch entertainment value. He has made quite a few public references re improving spectator experience.
Risky to lean on a successful manager though.
Pure silly season speculation by me of course.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Knibbsworth":20z73tvl said:
Quintrell_Green":20z73tvl said:
briangreen":20z73tvl said:

Yes, but I do not think I have seen such a long promotional You Tube clip of a player who very rarely scores himself.
Argyle have released Slew and passed over Tanner both of whom knew where the net was.

Slew's best goalscoring season was 4 last season, and Tanner's was 5.

How can you consider Joel Grant a 'player who rarely scores himself', and these two as 'players who knew where the net was', when Grant has had four better goalscoring seasons than either of them. He's hit double figures twice.

I was referring to that You Tube video clip only. The number of misses were significant.

Aug 7, 2005
Paignton
ghost of hughie reed":2c4j4qj9 said:
Deacster":2c4j4qj9 said:
briangreen":2c4j4qj9 said:
Looks exciting there, with him and Ainsworth we now have two pacey wingers whereas last year we had none until Kennedy signed. Change in style maybe?

Time will tell.. I have wondered if there is pressure on Derek Adams from Simon Hallett now to adapt things to improve the on pitch entertainment value. He has made quite a few public references re improving spectator experience.

My brother mused that Adams style last year was a means to an end to achieve the goal of getting out of league 2 as quickly as possible. The signings so far are less physical and potentially more attacking in their style.

Time will tell of course but I doubt Adams would accept interference in his style. I think league 1 is a different animal to league 2 and Adams will build a team (or rather start to) he thinks has the best chance of success with the budget he has.

Mar 23, 2008
jimbo_the_green":1zt2orwa said:
ghost of hughie reed":1zt2orwa said:
Deacster":1zt2orwa said:
briangreen":1zt2orwa said:

My brother mused that Adams style last year was a means to an end to achieve the goal of getting out of league 2 as quickly as possible. The signings so far are less physical and potentially more attacking in their style.

Time will tell of course but I doubt Adams would accept interference in his style. I think league 1 is a different animal to league 2 and Adams will build a team (or rather start to) he thinks has the best chance of success with the budget he has.
Indeed i don't believe he is a man who would take kindly to interference and i think here he probably has none, in fact i believe he has a board who respect and believe in him and give him his budget and let him crack on with what he wants and deserves.

Aug 5, 2016
Green Giant":2qtala7o said:
For all there b*tch*ng about now he's signed for us looked like he was quite handy for them from the highlights in this game 1 goal and 2 assists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h-ALnKsNis

"2 assists"? One was a simple ten yard ball cut back for Ryan Harley to smash in from distance. Hardly evidence of his creative genius! Fans are a bit too obsessed with stats nowadays. When it's the likes of Carey or Phillippe Coutinho placing a perfectly weighted creative pass through for a running forward to bury, or curling a lofted cross on to a striker's bonce - I get why assists are discussed. When they do it week in week out and make a difference, the stats paint a picture.

But "He got 2 assists!" Really? Was that a pass any player on our books last season couldn't have played? I think even Dorel could have comfortably picked Harley out from there. I don't see what that 'assist' tells us about Grant.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":2g01cdd0 said:
Green Giant":2g01cdd0 said:
For all there b*tch*ng about now he's signed for us looked like he was quite handy for them from the highlights in this game 1 goal and 2 assists

"2 assists"? One was a simple ten yard ball cut back for Ryan Harley to smash in from distance. Hardly evidence of his creative genius! Fans are a bit too obsessed with stats nowadays. When it's the likes of Carey or Phillippe Coutinho placing a perfectly weighted creative pass through for a running forward to bury, or curling a lofted cross on to a striker's bonce - I get why assists are discussed. When they do it week in week out and make a difference, the stats paint a picture.

But "He got 2 assists!" Really? Was that a pass any player on our books last season couldn't have played? I think even Dorel could have comfortably picked Harley out from there. I don't see what that 'assist' tells us about Grant.

So you conveniently ignore the fact that he made space to receive a pass , then took the ball and a defender wide before cutting a simple 10 yard ball back to Harley who was in space to have a shot on goal .

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
He probably wanted to ply his trade at a football club. :scarf:

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
DartingtonPilgrim":15zccoph said:
Knibbsworth":15zccoph said:
Green Giant":15zccoph said:

So you conveniently ignore the fact that he made space to receive a pass , then took the ball and a defender wide before cutting a simple 10 yard ball back to Harley who was in space to have a shot on goal .

Yes and in the previous footage posted you can watch him destroy Chester City reserves in January 2009. Mouthwatering

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":2n3fxumk said:
Green Giant":2n3fxumk said:

Your post makes it seem like you have absolutely no idea of how the game is played. Stats are the underlying facts of a player or team, and the fact you challenge this is astonishing. How on earth do scouts judge a player if they have no stats to go by?

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
up_the_line":1md2cl0n said:
DartingtonPilgrim":1md2cl0n said:
Knibbsworth":1md2cl0n said:
Green Giant":1md2cl0n said:

Yes and in the previous footage posted you can watch him destroy Chester City reserves in January 2009. Mouthwatering

Another fascinating input UTL , you should feel very pleased with yourself :)

Jan 27, 2012
From what I can gather, he was mostly used as a substitute for Exeter.

If Carey leaves, Argyle will need a couple of high quality signings to avoid a struggle. That will take money.

May 16, 2016
Monster Green":38e2biea said:
Knibbsworth":38e2biea said:
Green Giant":38e2biea said:

Your post makes it seem like you have absolutely no idea of how the game is played. Stats are the underlying facts of a player or team, and the fact you challenge this is astonishing. How on earth do scouts judge a player if they have no stats to go by?

I thought Scouts generally go and watch a player to judge him. Bit old School.

Jul 24, 2009
gaspargomez":2kut9v2b said:
From what I can gather, he was mostly used as a substitute for Exeter.

If Carey leaves, Argyle will need a couple of high quality signings to avoid a struggle. That will take money.
I presume quite a chunk of budget is tied up in our offer to Carey which would be freed up in the event he goes elsewhere. If he does go we need to invest in some quality additions.

May be being harsh but this does feel like a squad addition rather than a big first team upgrade but DA generally knows what he's doing. Three times he's played at this level and three times relegated. Hopefully fourth time lucky!