Joel Grant (ex Grecian) signs. | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Joel Grant (ex Grecian) signs.

Feb 2, 2007
X Isle":7f486x6x said:
That any fan of Argyle bemoans not spending money we don't have, after all we went through, is just insane. How short some memories are.

That it's Odders is less surprising.

Sometimes I can't remember what I was doing an hour ago or what I was even just typing (luckily there's a written record of that)

I can, however, remember, so very vividly, the bitter demise into administration our great club suffered. The unpaid hardworking staff, the businesses reliant on our income, the fans who have spent huge sums following us around the country, the investors who saw their cash disappear, the community, the embarrassment, feeling ashamed, bottom of the league. Heartbreaking. And it's only just mending. Thank you James Brent and the prudent and sustainable running of our club. Long may it continue.

I welcome Joel Grant, Nathan Blissett, any other unpolished diamonds, misunderstood geniuses, Carey, Sarcevic, Bradley, Fox and those we that have cost us virtual fees such as Taylor, Threlekld. Even those who haven't quite worked out, Smith, Brunt, Sleeeewww, Spencer, Dorel, Tanner all have contributed in a big way, on the pitch and off. I trust Derek and Wottsy, and Brewster, their recruitment is spot on.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
oddball":1hz1106p said:
...you can only have austerity for so long before people get fed up with it...we have had some big attendances in recent years,coupled with cup money,transfer money and television money and that money should be ploughed back into team strengthening and I don't think it has been.......
you have no idea how to run a business do you oddball.yes i am self employed and believe me you are always laying out money on umpteen unforseable expenses.please can you explain your constant negativity about our team that has just won promotion?

Jul 29, 2010
He can't Steve, it's innate.

If we won L1 by a country mile next season you'd hear the same moans about lack of ambition this time next year because we didn't sign a million pound striker.

When we were busy building up that £17m worth of debt in the championship it still wasn't good enough for many. Odders was one of the 'Staplewallet' set, he wasn't alone, he gave the board spades abuse for 'not showing ambition'.

When you've been here long enough you can see that some people never change. Thankfully this board don't pander to them, I think it's why it narks them so.

This board's ambition is to not go into administration, to spend only what they can afford and to spend it wisely. That is good enough for me, it will never be good enough for many, they want it all and they want it yesterday.

Jan 27, 2012
X Isle":31r9x4e3 said:
That any fan of Argyle bemoans not spending money we don't have, after all we went through, is just insane. How short some memories are.

How do you know that the club don't have money ?

We are told that the debts are under control (and most other clubs have debts) plus Argyle get some of the biggest gates in League One and Two.

I don't see why Argyle can't compete strongly in the transfer market at this level.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
gaspargomez":1y7m34i8 said:
X Isle":1y7m34i8 said:

We are told that the debts are under control (and most other clubs have debts) plus Argyle get some of the biggest gates in League One and Two.

I don't see why Argyle can't compete strongly in the transfer market at this level.
Here's a snippet from the PACSA thread which gives an indication of how easily the money gets spent:

Graham Clark":1y7m34i8 said:
Below is a summary of the main points of the PACSA meeting held on Tuesday with Simon Hallett and Martyn Starnes

1. The money the Board have committed to Stage 1 to provide the new roof and floodlights for the Grandstand refurbishment in excess of the £5m provided by Simon and Jane Hallett is ‘substantial’ although confirmed at less than £1m.
2. The Board have committed other substantial sums to the further improvement of the Harpers Park drainage, new fencing to prevent damage and vandalism, the Home park pitch improvements and essential maintenance on essential items (unspecified) at the Home Park stadium.
3. Simon Hallett commented on how soon the unbudgeted income from the Liverpool games had been swallowed up by expenditure on the improvements.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
oddball":15fly2wt said:
...you can only have austerity for so long before people get fed up with it...we have had some big attendances in recent years,coupled with cup money,transfer money and television money and that money should be ploughed back into team strengthening and I don't think it has been.......
Does this sound familiar?
July 2016.
Adams is certainly building a ragbag of a squad....just hope it all comes together for the guy.
From what I have heard on the street today, Adams has got a pretty good budget for this season, so why does he continually shop in Poundland.
It seems that nothing changes.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Oddballs latest offering has to be one of the most nonsensical on here for sometime. How can he seriously consider that we ought to be in the market for Watkins or Wheeler? Watkins will go for several million and a handsome salary to match. Wheeler for much less but still out of our reach. So we gamble a million or more on Wheeler with no guarantee he will be a game changer while the club's facilities for current fans remain archaic and lessen the likelihood of attracting new ones and the training pitches are neglected and maintenance of the ground suffers even more.

Mar 14, 2009
X Isle":2eiqyy6s said:

If we won L1 by a country mile next season you'd hear the same moans about lack of ambition this time next year because we didn't sign a million pound striker.

When we were busy building up that £17m worth of debt in the championship it still wasn't good enough for many. Odders was one of the 'Staplewallet' set, he wasn't alone, he gave the board spades abuse for 'not showing ambition'.

When you've been here long enough you can see that some people never change. Thankfully this board don't pander to them, I think it's why it narks them so.

This board's ambition is to not go into administration, to spend only what they can afford and to spend it wisely. That is good enough for me, it will never be good enough for many, they want it all and they want it yesterday.

The fans didn't make Stapleton mis manage the club with his "buddies".

"StapleWallet" sold Argyle down the river. He brought people into the club who were totally untrustworthy. It wasn't that fans gave him abuse that the debt was racked up. It was for poor management of the football club. Without Sturrock building championship winning squads on virtually nothing the football club would never had the success it did. Stapleton did what exactly to contribute? It certainly wasn't in significant monetary form.

Season after season he was congratulated for running the club so well. So well in fact his influence nearly ruined the club.

I'm grateful for what James Brent did in helping to save the football club. However, people talk about Argyle moving forward on and off the pitch but that can only happen with much more significant investment in the playing side to get Argyle up the leagues. I'm quite happy to remain in league one until we can find the right type of "investor". I don't think though the modern football fan is prepared to wait two or three years in order that we might find the appropriate solutions for investment.

Dec 6, 2012
Plymouth, England, PL2 3HG
jerryatricjanner":l0z0hpsf said:
Oddballs latest offering has to be one of the most nonsensical on here for sometime. How can he seriously consider that we ought to be in the market for Watkins or Wheeler? Watkins will go for several million and a handsome salary to match. Wheeler for much less but still out of our reach. So we gamble a million or more on Wheeler with no guarantee he will be a game changer while the club's facilities for current fans remain archaic and lessen the likelihood of attracting new ones and the training pitches are neglected and maintenance of the ground suffers even more.
Have you seen the training pitches recently????

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
gaspargomez":2cm3d881 said:
X Isle":2cm3d881 said:

because the running costs of a business are massive.all the players who are under contract,including the players who have five days left are being paid with virtually no income coming through the business.the kit man,the maintainance staff,coaching staff all have to be paid!contractors to install new fencing around the training pitch,insurance companies,vehicle maintainance etc etc.add to all this the team spirit building pre-season holland trip.imagine the cost of that mr. gomez,it aint cheap.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
pedro91":3c1cobeh said:
jerryatricjanner":3c1cobeh said:
Have you seen the training pitches recently????
You misunderstood me Pedro. That was exactly the point I was making. Harpers Park is vastly improved, the neglected maintenance of the stadium is also being addressed, neither of which could be done if we gambled that sort of money on Wheeler for example. As for Watkins and 3 million plus well that is pure fantasy on Oddball's behalf.

Feb 2, 2007
Metal_Green_Mickey":2c1q09ys said:
X Isle":2c1q09ys said:

The fans didn't make Stapleton mis manage the club with his "buddies".

"StapleWallet" sold Argyle down the river. He brought people into the club who were totally untrustworthy. It wasn't that fans gave him abuse that the debt was racked up. It was for poor management of the football club. Without Sturrock building championship winning squads on virtually nothing the football club would never had the success it did. Stapleton did what exactly to contribute? It certainly wasn't in significant monetary form.

Season after season he was congratulated for running the club so well. So well in fact his influence nearly ruined the club.

I'm grateful for what James Brent did in helping to save the football club. However, people talk about Argyle moving forward on and off the pitch but that can only happen with much more significant investment in the playing side to get Argyle up the leagues. I'm quite happy to remain in league one until we can find the right type of "investor". I don't think though the modern football fan is prepared to wait two or three years in order that we might find the appropriate solutions for investment.

I agree with lots of this but the bottom line is "significant investment" in football usually brings "significant risk". For every Brighton or Huddersfield there's a Leyton Orient, Coventry, Pompey, Argyle. I think the current board and approach can get us back to Champ, which historically is "over performing" (our average historic league position is upper reaches of L1). The Champ does bring a significantly bigger cash pot nowadays, so getting there to support sustainably holding this position is important.

If someone with a big bag of cash and promises of ambition, ever came along we would need a huge amount of scrutiny, well developed business plans, with explanations of debt management, etc etc. Simon Hallett is a great start with this, people are out there with green blood, money and the best interests of the club at heart, which is great, and I am happy with us building incrementally until we hit the glass ceiling.

Jul 29, 2012
If you look at average attendances for last season , taking into account, promotions and relegations , Argyle have the 8th highest average. Will it go up? Early signs are promising through higher season ticket sales but ultimately will be driven by performance on the pitch.

While we have momentum, what realistically are our ambitions for this season?

For the first year since James Brent took over we may have made a " profit" . In addition, we will receive additional money from TV and from the premier league- around £ 250k- £300k. That will however easily get " eaten" by increased wages , agents fees etc. In addition, as Simon Hallett has said , given through necessity the chronic lack of investment in facilities over the last few years , the Liverpool money has gone in improving training facilities- how many points might that bring us- and other necessary improvements.

The ground improvements being paid for by the Board /Simon Hallett mean that this should be the last year that our finances are dependent solely on match day income , cup runs , TV money.

Once the new conferencing facilities are up and running, that will be the time when the people and business' of Plymouth can show support to the Club, through the booking of seminars, conferences, evening functions, Christmas parties , weddings at Home Park knowing that every pound will be going to a local organisation -rather than " a national " - that will be spending the income on improving the team or facilities rather than going to shareholders. We as fans have a role to play , firstly in ensuring that our " match day pounds" are spent with the club rather than in the Brit or other pubs , the mobile pasty vans /
burger bars etc but also encouraging friends, families, businesses to use the club .

This is one of the main reasons how the Chiefs have achieved their success.Interestingly , having done a little research their player recruitment policy has not been massively different from
to DA's with some of their players being " nomads" / " discards" .

Success on the pitch breeds success off it and , having won the rugby premiership, their off field bookings are showing a 30% increase. Simon Hallett has already said that on match days he wants fans to arrive at the ground earlier and stay longer. The Chiefs do that well - especially after the game but rugby fans are different and the Chiefs "lock in " vehicles for an hour after the game so that no cars or coaches can leave their car park and no taxis go in . As a minimum my guess is that the new bars and perhaps the marquee will have Sky sport etc so that fans can watch the pre- match , post match games .It will be interesting to see the set up of the conferencing room on match day . We are told that it will seat up to 600 people. That's a lot of "corporate " covers to fill . It may be that it will be split to cover the " corporates" but also the fans , so that fans and families can get a drink , pasty/ burger etc , and sit at a table to eat them .

In any event , without a "sugar daddy " being able to attract better players etc will depend on the success of the new facilities and we all have a role to play in that .