New Grandstand - 2 day public consultation | Page 17 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New Grandstand - 2 day public consultation

Apr 1, 2009
Argyle Nutter":3w2pypo2 said:
Can any one confirm whether the profit share only relates to the ice rink & assosiated commercial properties within the HHP boundaries, Or does it include those contained within the new Vets/ Hotel venture as well.

Why would there be profit sharing on the latter? Not land that has ever been in the club's ownership.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
xmastree":q8nwfl58 said:
Argyle Nutter":q8nwfl58 said:
Can any one confirm whether the profit share only relates to the ice rink & assosiated commercial properties within the HHP boundaries, Or does it include those contained within the new Vets/ Hotel venture as well.

Why would there be profit sharing on the latter? Not land that has ever been in the club's ownership.

Exactly.

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
xmastree":28me9rn5 said:
Argyle Nutter":28me9rn5 said:

As a rule of thumb I wouldn't expext there to be, but as I was not there I just wanted to clarify in case it was all part of a master plan to fund our way up the leagues.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Argyle Nutter":19fsa89g said:

Yes it only relates to the area behind the Grandstand that Brent bought, as I said earlier. Not the new land he's trying to buy.

The other agreement has always been in place to either provide a new Grandstand (which obviously hasn't happened) or compensate PAFC accordingly.

It would be interesting to learn the actual terms of any profit share. For example, do Argyle get 50% of any ongoing profit indefinitely?

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Ade the green":2doftuqz said:
Argyle-sy":2doftuqz said:
HC Green":2doftuqz said:
Rob_GT4":2doftuqz said:
It's a hypothetical question, but I think an important one to bare in mind with regards to the bigger picture here.

Many fans are happy to just turn a blind eye and ignore everything that's happening simply because Plymouth Argyle are getting an updated grandstand and quite frankly that's as far as their interest in the situation goes.

However, IF (and yes it's an IF), Simon Hallett wasn't extremely generously lending the club £5 million and no refurbishment of the grandstand was therefore taking place, how would this forum be reacting to a plan by James Brent to build a massive profit-making home park complex separate to Argyle with no profit or moneys whatsoever going towards either the financing of a stand or the club?

I would think that the last thing an Ice Rink would be is a massive profit-making complex.

You would be surprised mate. Fife Ice Arena in Kirkcaldy does surprisingly well, when it is not being used for ice hockey then it is open to the public and it does very good trade. Bare in mind that you also have rinks in Edinburgh and Dundee in competition, I think that an ice arena in Plymouth with the nearest next one being a long, way away would be very popular, and people would travel there from all over Devon and Cornwall.

I also believe there are ways to turn an Ice Rink into a basketball court with mats and wooden panelling so would also be good for the Raiders. The same thing could also be achieved for concerts etc surely.

Quite possibly yes. I know that in the past FIA has actually hosted commonwealth level title fight which drew crowds of around 3000, and it also gets a lot of trade from the ice skating sessions as well.

Mar 21, 2008
Thanks Graham. Do we subsequently know what constitutes a 'profit'?. I.e. Would a unit need to be actually sold (at a price above cost), and if so what happens if the units are merely rented out which I'm assuming is much more likely for retail/food outlets. Is there a time limit on Plymouth Argyle's right to their share of profits, e.g. If the ice rink is for example making an annual profit in say 10 years time do we get 50% of that profit if it stays under James Brents ownership?

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Quintrell_Green":1x06ugjv said:
Argyle-sy":1x06ugjv said:
HC Green":1x06ugjv said:
Rob_GT4":1x06ugjv said:
It's a hypothetical question, but I think an important one to bare in mind with regards to the bigger picture here.

Many fans are happy to just turn a blind eye and ignore everything that's happening simply because Plymouth Argyle are getting an updated grandstand and quite frankly that's as far as their interest in the situation goes.

However, IF (and yes it's an IF), Simon Hallett wasn't extremely generously lending the club £5 million and no refurbishment of the grandstand was therefore taking place, how would this forum be reacting to a plan by James Brent to build a massive profit-making home park complex separate to Argyle with no profit or moneys whatsoever going towards either the financing of a stand or the club?

I would think that the last thing an Ice Rink would be is a massive profit-making complex.

You would be surprised mate. Fife Ice Arena in Kirkcaldy does surprisingly well, when it is not being used for ice hockey then it is open to the public and it does very good trade. Bare in mind that you also have rinks in Edinburgh and Dundee in competition, I think that an ice arena in Plymouth with the nearest next one being a long, way away would be very popular, and people would travel there from all over Devon and Cornwall.

A covered ice rink is made available at the Eden Project for a couple of months over the Christmas period and over the years [probably at least 5] it has proven popular and successful. I do not understand the negativity over a new facility at HHP. JB having run the ice rink facility at the Pavilions Complex would know/understand its' popularity and more importantly the turnover generated. I am sure this data would be uppermost in his business head before planning a new rink. Good Luck to him.

The reason I used FIA as an example is because you have 2 more rinks within 35 miles in Edinburgh and Dundee, even with competition FIA is very successful, so for an ice arena on HHP I can see that it would get trade from both Plymouthians themselves but also from the surrounding areas. When I go to watch Fife Flyers at FIA you see people there from all over Fife and not just Kirkcaldy where FIA is based. You even see Flyers fans there from Newport on Tay and Cupar which are both considerably closer to Dundee than they are to Kirkcaldy.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
I would think that the last thing an Ice Rink would be is a massive profit-making complex
If the rink is built properly and used properly then yes it could be quite profitable, but if it is only built to be a skating rink then I doubt it will be.
When I say built properly and used properly, I mean the facility is used to it's full extent. Over here we have city owned ice rinks all over the city, and they are only used for skating and hockey and they don't make any money, we have privately owned ice rinks and they make money, because their costs are a lot less than city rinks.
Then we have 2 larger ice rinks that are privately owned, one that seats 20,000 people and the other holds 10,000 people, these 2 rinks main purpose is for ice hockey, the large one for the Ottawa Senators of the NHL and the smaller one for the Ottawa 67's a team that plays in the OHL. The NHL games are usually sold out, the OHL games about half sold out, but that only covers about 40-50 days of the year, also with the ice in you can have ice shows, curling, recreation skating etc. but with the use of flooring to cover the ice, it opens up the facility for a whole lot of other uses such as concerts, basketball games, trade shows, circuses, conventions, etc. In fact most recently the smaller rink hosted the Canada - Great Britain Davis cup match

Some mentioned that the Raiders could play at this facility, great idea but with only 1200 seats is that sufficient for the Raiders, what type of crowds do they get at the Pavilions? Looking at the drawings I don't see how the rink could be made any larger in that location, 1200 seats is not enough it should be at least 3000 seats.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
The new ice rink is a must for the pavilions to be developed on. Can't knock pavilions down until another ice rink is provided

Aug 5, 2005
Argyle-sy":18mho2g6 said:
Ade the green":18mho2g6 said:
Argyle-sy":18mho2g6 said:
HC Green":18mho2g6 said:
Rob_GT4":18mho2g6 said:

I also believe there are ways to turn an Ice Rink into a basketball court with mats and wooden panelling so would also be good for the Raiders. The same thing could also be achieved for concerts etc surely.

Quite possibly yes. I know that in the past FIA has actually hosted commonwealth level title fight which drew crowds of around 3000, and it also gets a lot of trade from the ice skating sessions as well.

It's very common in the States.

For example, the Washington Wizards (basketball) and Washington Capitals (Ice Hockey) share a rink / court very successfully, even playing one sport one night, and the other the next night.

If anyone is interested, here's how they change surfaces overnight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_4FqmEOVb0

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Rob_GT4":ikgwhhmn said:
Thanks Graham. Do we subsequently know what constitutes a 'profit'?. I.e. Would a unit need to be actually sold (at a price above cost), and if so what happens if the units are merely rented out which I'm assuming is much more likely for retail/food outlets. Is there a time limit on Plymouth Argyle's right to their share of profits, e.g. If the ice rink is for example making an annual profit in say 10 years time do we get 50% of that profit if it stays under James Brents ownership?
I doubt that we will be made aware of the detail but I think that we can rest assured that Simon Hallett will know and be comfortable with it.

Aug 5, 2005
Further to my other post, the Braehead Arena in Glasgow is a multi-purpose Ice Hockey arena with a capacity of 5300 that also hosts events such as WWE, boxing, Davis Cup tennis, X Factor auditions and concerts by the likes of Beyonce, Oasis and Calvin Harris.

Something like that would be brilliant, especially if Argyle's facilities could be incorporated as well

http://www.braehead-arena.co.uk/Events

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Quizmike":hqrfh7ns said:
Further to my other post, the Braehead Arena in Glasgow is a multi-purpose Ice Hockey arena with a capacity of 5300 that also hosts events such as WWE, boxing, Davis Cup tennis, X Factor auditions and concerts by the likes of Beyonce, Oasis and Calvin Harris.

Something like that would be brilliant, especially if Argyle's facilities could be incorporated as well

http://www.braehead-arena.co.uk/Events

FFS Mike. Did you have to lower the tone by posting something Braehead Clan related lol.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Things are on the move because documents have already been submitted to the planning office at Plymouth City Council. It's not a planning application but a "Screening Opinion" which decides if the development has an environmental impact on the area before a planning application is submitted.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
The immediate concern to me would be the lack of car parking spaces at the Western Gate Site, given the number of bedrooms being offered, and the additional business attracted to the eating outlet. There is not exactly an abundance of 'on-street' parking on that side of Outland Rd to accommodate overflows!