Argyle survey and incentive plan | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle survey and incentive plan

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Mods,
Should this be merged with the Big Green Lottery thread, or vice versa?
It seems that this 'survey' is the 'telemarketing' referred to in the BGL thread. Providing members don't give their bank details to the caller and, instead, join using the Academy website, there should be no problem.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I would say 'no' mate.

As it's not obvious that this to do with the BGL, people who received such s call would not look in the BGL thread, if that makes sense.

Feb 8, 2005
IJN":11pqvfg6 said:
I would say 'no' mate.

As it's not obvious that this to do with the BGL, people who received such s call would not look in the BGL thread, if that makes sense.

Are you answering as a Mod, Ian, or as the owner of the site (who may be in control of the Mods)?

Just asking. :problem:

Leo's Grandad

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
I had a call from someone purporting to be from PAFC. I asked 'why are you calling me and what do you want ?' as I hadn't seen the club's page at that time. At that point they hung up - so if it was genuine or not it was a completely wasted call. Surely they must have had an answer planned for my very simple question.
They never called back so I'm happy either way.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
jimsing":2qddn4dx said:
IJN":2qddn4dx said:
I would say 'no' mate.

Are you answering as a Mod, Ian, or as the owner of the site (who may be in control of the Mods)?

I'm not in control of the Mods Jim, but I do moderate on occasion, but I'm not a Moderator. :greensmile:

Quite simply, I know how the site works and merging this one, may serve against the communication this site endeavours to supply.

Feb 8, 2005
IJN":11zmzhkw said:
jimsing":11zmzhkw said:
IJN":11zmzhkw said:
I would say 'no' mate.

I'm not in control of the Mods Jim, but I do moderate on occasion, but I'm not a Moderator. :greensmile:

Quite simply, I know how the site works and merging this one, may serve against the communication this site endeavours to supply.

I understand your reasoning for the merge and have no qualms about it.

However, the question was specifically put to the mods, Ian, and I just feel uneasy that the owner of the site can intervene on their behalf.

I'm sure that they could also come to your conclusion, given the chance.

I am also sure you are correct when you say that the mods are independent, but perhaps they should be allowed to be seen to be independent as well.

This site is a very important one for supporters of PAFC, better than the official PAFC site, and is moderated excellently. Its integrity marks the difference between it and others trying to do the same.

It may be wise for owners to remain independent and to allow their moderators to be seen to moderate. :thumbup:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Most on are on their holidays Jim. They did put their holiday requests in. :greensmile:

Plus of course I'm an ex Mod and I do know the score.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Most of the moderation is done in the background without a song and dance. This is because some of us prefer to work that way, also, being all up front with the moderating can cause issues. Think of it like a referee not getting noticed when they're doing a good job.

Also bear in mind that if IJN oversteps the mark, he'll be pulled up over it - in private of course.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
jimsing":3guc9aiw said:
IJN":3guc9aiw said:
jimsing":3guc9aiw said:
IJN":3guc9aiw said:
I would say 'no' mate.

I understand your reasoning for the merge and have no qualms about it.

However, the question was specifically put to the mods, Ian, and I just feel uneasy that the owner of the site can intervene on their behalf.

I'm sure that they could also come to your conclusion, given the chance.

I am also sure you are correct when you say that the mods are independent, but perhaps they should be allowed to be seen to be independent as well.

This site is a very important one for supporters of PAFC, better than the official PAFC site, and is moderated excellently. Its integrity marks the difference between it and others trying to do the same.

It may be wise for owners to remain independent and to allow their moderators to be seen to moderate. :thumbup:
I am not concerned whether the owner (IJN) or a moderator responded to my suggestion about merging the 2 threads that, it seemed to me, were linked because some posters on this thread (The Doctor and Steve Evans for example) referred to the Big Green Lottery.

I accepted IJN's response.

Just to clarify, my concern was that someone who read the club's position on one thread had not read the other thread. I was concerned that, even though the club had explained that the BGL was being 'telemarketed', it would still be possible for an opportunist to use the knowledge that this was happening to try to obtain personal and bank details over the phone. If they were trying to encourage/persuade people to apply online that would be no problem.

OnicknowlePete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 6, 2004
Plymouth
I also had a call who said they would ring back, but not as yet. I have to say that any call I get regardless of who they say they are I treat as potential fraudsters and most calls end very quickly in particular those who say they can fix my computer lol
Pete

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
honicknowle_pete":215owk4e said:
I also had a call who said they would ring back, but not as yet. I have to say that any call I get regardless of who they say they are I treat as potential fraudsters and most calls end very quickly in particular those who say they can fix my computer lol
Pete

You can have fun with those ones though when they tell you that you are running Microsoft Windows 7 (or whatever) and you know that you bought a Mac 5 years ago...

Shm

Jan 4, 2017
What concerns me is I don't ever recall giving Argyle permission to give my details to a third party call centre based in Coventry and trying to disguise the fact by using a 01752 number. And answer from the club is needed here!

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
Shm":2cd8uhyc said:
What concerns me is I don't ever recall giving Argyle permission to give my details to a third party call centre based in Coventry and trying to disguise the fact by using a 01752 number. And answer from the club is needed here!

I also had a call and I am registered with the TPS, which makes it unlawful to make unsolicited marketing calls to people registered with the TPS.
The caller was reading from a script - I terminated the call before he got to asking me to join the Green Lottery and bank details.

"It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so".