Brief Synopsis!!! (Doncaster) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Doncaster)

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
What was clear today is that we can't rely on our full-backs for width. I'd go with something like:

McCormick

Miller
Edwards
Sokolik
Sawyer

Fox
Sarcevic

Ainsworth
Carey
Grant

Blissett

We don't have emough quality to open up defences so crosses are the best option.

Sep 6, 2006
Frank_Butcher":2dete529 said:
What was clear today is that we can't rely on our full-backs for width. I'd go with something like:

McCormick

Miller
Edwards
Sokolik
Sawyer

Fox
Sarcevic

Ainsworth
Carey
Grant

Blissett

We don't have emough quality to open up defences so crosses are the best option.

But Blissett is not goods enough to play target man or to get on the end of the crosses. Thats what happens when you sign a Torquay reject.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Balham_Green":3zay0p79 said:
Frank_Butcher":3zay0p79 said:

McCormick

Miller
Edwards
Sokolik
Sawyer

Fox
Sarcevic

Ainsworth
Carey
Grant

Blissett

But Blissett is not goods enough to play target man or to get on the end of the crosses. Thats what happens when you sign a Torquay reject.

Who'd you play instead BG? I think Blissett would do a better job than anyone else upfront at the moment.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Balham_Green":240zkxo0 said:
Frank_Butcher":240zkxo0 said:

McCormick

Miller
Edwards
Sokolik
Sawyer

Fox
Sarcevic

Ainsworth
Carey
Grant

Blissett

Agreed he's not the ideal choice BG but he is a trier. For that reason he's ahead of Ciftci, and Fletcher doesn't have the presence (understandably). We have so few options.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
damon.green":p4ilqmtb said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but congratulations must go to David Fox for the worst ever throw in!

That summed up our performance

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
damon.green":3lyjlxbg said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but congratulations must go to David Fox for the worst ever throw in!

He comes over as if he is going to LAUNCH it 30 yards into the 6 yard box and throws it like a girl straight out for a goal kick.
He is hardly a long throw expert. Surely we have someone on the right hand side that can take a fcukin throw in.

Really do look like a pub team at the moment and just as well we are still not in League 2 as we would be at the bottom of that instead.

Absolutely dreadful and DA has to be held to account. I hope he doesn't come out with the drivel of last week and say we should have won

What an awful performance that was and just to top it off yet another straight red, this
time for sonny.
Didnt see it, but sounds like yet more unprofessionalism again. Simply not good enough from the
management and team. 2 was unnacceptable. 3 is beyond belief. 4 successive home games and 4 reds.
Incredible.
For the first time i have serious doubts now of DA becoming the long term manager i was hoping he
could become for us. This wasnt just poor. This was dead cert relegation poor.
He made some big changes to his line up. The biggest being yanner replacing foxy in the
playmaker position in the 4141. Straight away we struggled to build anything from the back
reverting to hoofing far too often and giving their def an easy ride.
Playing 3 centre mids we were more solid at the back but again we conceded the crucial first
goal, from a corner. Looked as though we had chances to clear before the crossbar
rebound was nodded in. I thought their header from deep was far too easy as well.
DA also gave 90 mins to young fletch, and he played the crucial TM role for us, most of it in that
first half. The service to him was crap but he battled gamely and did have one near post effort
go wide. Bit much to expect an 18 yo to play such a pivotal role in the team tbh but at least
now he knows the level he has got to reach if he is to do well in the game.
Nadir being usurped by an 18yo meant he was therefore relegated to the left wing, producing on
occasions, crosses into the box which really he should have been looking to be getting on
the end of. Very strange when we have a multitude of wide players to do this for him.
On the right flank we had our first glimpses of rueben lameiras and far too brief glimpses they were
too as our play was always too scrappy and broken for him to influence.
Just before HT DA finally switched him into the no10 role behind fletch and nadir as we went
We kept this for the start of the second half with foxy replacing yanner as the central playmaker.
This was the change i was hoping for but in the main the hoofing continued and unlike the blackpool
game, up to the red card, this time there was no control in our play.
Then their killer second arrived, again from a corner, and yet another free header close in which
luke parried but only to the scorer following up.
Hence DA goes all kamikaze again with 2 wingers on for gary m. and nessie, the 2 strikers and a
no10. So 5 attackers stretched across the front line. On paper a powerful looking weapon but
where is the ammunition going to come from when you only have 3CBs(soon to be 2) and just 2 centre
mids covering the rest of the pitch to feed it? No balance at all to the team imho. Suicidal even.
433 is an attacking formation so why doesnt he just stick with it? Try pushing up and pressing high?
Perhaps bring on a winger for some width?
Not surprisingly donny took full control of the game and scored another without really breaking sweat.
Could have been more as we were so poor by this stage.
I dont remember their keeper having a shot to save all game tbh. A dreadful performance.
A zillion miles from last seasons.
Course tis still only 9 games in but this was a bad one make no mistake.
Confidence is likely to have suffered a huge hit.
DA and his seemingly self depleting team need to step it up a gear somehow.
This is knowhere near good enough as it is. Knowhere near last seasons standards either.
Thats the really wierd thing about today. Whats happened?
MOM gary sawyer.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
FWIW I think we need to remember that for a number of reasons we started today without Taylor, Threlkeld, Carey, Sokolik, Jervis and Fox. All players that were part of a very successful team last season. Obviously we're going to be without Bradley, Threlkeld and Taylor for some time but either we need to go back to the basics that got us here or for Adams to admit his formation isn't going to work in this division and find a different formation. As others have said, there is clearly something not quite right and I agree with Balham's comment that the reds are a result of frustration either with the fact that things aren't working and/or their own performances.

Among others I guess, I was hopeful that today's selection was going to be a set up for 4-4-2 or 4-3-1-2. Ciftci wide left was not going to work defensively and as the half wore on he drifted more and more into the middle which cut down Fletcher's space and gave no wide option for Bradley or Sawyer going forward. On the other side Lameiras had similar problems but his work ethic was stronger. We know the Adams system works and it can work in this division BUT we need to play round pegs in round holes. Carey being back next week is a shoe in, in the hole, and (assuming Jervis isn't available) I'd play Grant and Ainsworth in the wide attacking roles. I want to like Ciftci but I'm struggling to see what he brings. Blissett isn't right either but Fletch isn't ready and so Blissett has to start up front unless Adams can find an alternative from somewhere (Grant is a possibility but I'm not convinced). Midfield is the key for me and there is no space for Fox, Sarcevic and Ness. For me Fox has to start so it's a case of either Ness or Sarcevic and I would go with Sarcevic as he is on the same wavelength as Carey and Fox. I'm sure Adams will go with Songo'o in the absence of Bradley but I would go with Sokolik who, in my opinion, is a better defender and footballer than Songo'o. Before this time next year we need to replace the full-backs but until then we're stuck with what we have.

Should Adams find some humility somewhere and go with a front pair then one of those two has to be Blissett and I would play Grant or Fletcher off him. If he's sticking to a flat midfield 4 I would go with Carey, Ness, Fox and Ainsworth. If it's a diamond I would go with Fox at the base and Carey on the point with Fox and Sarcevic in the middle.

It's all academic as one thing we have learnt is that, if nothing else, Adams is his own man so we shouldn't be surprised to see Lameiras selected to replace Bradley and Songo'o as the lone striker.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Mark Pedlar":14oc8p2b said:
FWIW I think we need to remember that for a number of reasons we started today without Taylor, Threlkeld, Carey, Sokolik, Jervis and Fox. All players that were part of a very successful team last season. Obviously we're going to be without Bradley, Threlkeld and Taylor for some time but either we need to go back to the basics that got us here or for Adams to admit his formation isn't going to work in this division and find a different formation. As others have said, there is clearly something not quite right and I agree with Balham's comment that the reds are a result of frustration either with the fact that things aren't working and/or their own performances.

Among others I guess, I was hopeful that today's selection was going to be a set up for 4-4-2 or 4-3-1-2. Ciftci wide left was not going to work defensively and as the half wore on he drifted more and more into the middle which cut down Fletcher's space and gave no wide option for Bradley or Sawyer going forward. On the other side Lameiras had similar problems but his work ethic was stronger. We know the Adams system works and it can work in this division BUT we need to play round pegs in round holes. Carey being back next week is a shoe in, in the hole, and (assuming Jervis isn't available) I'd play Grant and Ainsworth in the wide attacking roles. I want to like Ciftci but I'm struggling to see what he brings. Blissett isn't right either but Fletch isn't ready and so Blissett has to start up front unless Adams can find an alternative from somewhere (Grant is a possibility but I'm not convinced). Midfield is the key for me and there is no space for Fox, Sarcevic and Ness. For me Fox has to start so it's a case of either Ness or Sarcevic and I would go with Sarcevic as he is on the same wavelength as Carey and Fox. I'm sure Adams will go with Songo'o in the absence of Bradley but I would go with Sokolik who, in my opinion, is a better defender and footballer than Songo'o. Before this time next year we need to replace the full-backs but until then we're stuck with what we have.

Should Adams find some humility somewhere and go with a front pair then one of those two has to be Blissett and I would play Grant or Fletcher off him. If he's sticking to a flat midfield 4 I would go with Carey, Ness, Fox and Ainsworth. If it's a diamond I would go with Fox at the base and Carey on the point with Fox and Sarcevic in the middle.

It's all academic as one thing we have learnt is that, if nothing else, Adams is his own man so we shouldn't be surprised to see Lameiras selected to replace Bradley and Songo'o as the lone striker.

A good post.
I would add that both full backs should stay deep and not be tasked with getting up and down to provide the width, they are not suited for that.
Let's get back to basics and be solid.

Apr 15, 2008
London
run_PAFC":2iyd82lt said:
Spot on Mark.

I would get Ness and Ciftci out of the team.. Ever since they've been brought in we've lost almost every game. I'm not sure what either brings to the party to be honest.

Ciftci is flat-out terrible. Just terrible.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
crownhillpilgrim":3gygnhno said:
run_PAFC":3gygnhno said:
Spot on Mark.

I would get Ness and Ciftci out of the team.. Ever since they've been brought in we've lost almost every game. I'm not sure what either brings to the party to be honest.

Ciftci is flat-out terrible. Just terrible.

Says it all when our strike "force" is Ciftci, Fletcher and Blissett. Other teams must be rolling around laughing at how crap we are going forward. Er, and at the back. Oh and in midfield.