• Stay

Votes: 164 43.6%
  • Go

Votes: 166 44.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 46 12.2%

• Total voters
Feb 23, 2008
Donny weren't doing much better before sat and they bounced straight back up with a manager with plenty of L1 experience.

I'm not saying in any way that DA is without flaw, I've been moaning about one up front on here for a while.

If we're going to give L1 a go then he needs to drop the stubbornness and start playing some pace on the wings etc. Ie wylde and ainsworth.

I just think the lack of respect for someone who has done what they have for the club in a short period of time is out of order.

Apr 17, 2013
.....I just think the lack of respect for someone who has done what they have for the club in a short period of time is out of order....

I agree. The man needs time to sort things out.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
chunkymonkey78":j90lejhz said:
Orient won 3-2.

People seem to be conveniently forgetting a Wembley trip, a brilliant couple of FA cup games against Liverpool and a promotion season to boot. All of a sudden the apathetical Janner was proud of the club again.

So many people ready to stick the boot in. He deserves time to turn the bad run around. The clubs that are sacking around us have been struggling for a while.

If he's still playing one up and players out of position come Xmas and is showing no signs of learning lessons then it's time for a change, what with the January window etc. Although ironic if the club gives the new manager money to spend as often happens in football.

1. Wembley was a disgrace and an embarrassment, it would be convenient if I could forget it as Argyle's performance would be utterly forgettable had it not been so utterly inept. It was the worst example of Adams' timidness in watching us do nothing with one up front for 75 minutes in a one off game and only pulling his finger out of his arse to change it as a reaction to going one down when it was already too late. His management cost us that game, not anything Kelvin Mellor did.
That's before you even factor in the disastrous capitulation in the second half of that season including such memorable humiliations as Dagenham at home. Adams' conservative tactics, particularly in the second half of his first season and most spectacularly at Wembley held us back in league 4 a season longer than we should have been in it, and lest we forget it was only one step further than Sheridan actually took a truly god awful set of players the previous season (but then, for all his flaws as a manager he knew a goalscorer when he saw one: RR).

2. The promotion season was another example of Adams going more and more conservative and negative as the season wore on and was the worst, most joyless of the four promotion seasons I've witnessed, encapsulated not only by the dirge served up in several home drubbings (surely a pointer as to how the tactics would work at a slightly higher level), but also, with promotion assured and a championship to play for, performances like the utter non event at Colchester. Once again, although this time we were up, the championship was handed to Portsmouth who demonstrated how to win a league playing with panache and swagger on the last day. Another few weeks and we'd have slipped from the top 3.

3. Considering the above it's highly disingenuous to imply that the criticism is only coming now we've lost a few on the bounce, because, albeit a minority, some of us started to question the tactics, inability or unwillingness to change and frankly dour football a long time ago. I kind of begrudgingly accepted that Adams may have seen the binary tactics as a means to an end against the crapsters in div 4 who were marginally less capable of scoring than us (thanks mostly to Graham Carey), but what the hell is the point of the 2 year bore fest to get us out of that division only to continue to serve up the same drivel with the utterly predictable result of an immediate return to the likes of Morecambe and Accrington.... Presumably so we can overacheive against them and their mighty sub 2,000 crowds (point 4, ridiculous patronising, egotistical statements about overacheiving... Overacheiving is keeping Morecambe in the football league season after season, overacheiving is Bradford's cup runs... It's not getting Plymouth Argyle out of the bottom division in league football at the second time of asking, losing 7 at home and going up largely because Carey stayed fit enough to contribute the majority of our goals). Who in their right mind thinks that after playing this way for 2 years and taking a number of tankings at home that Adams is going to 'drop the stubborness'? He's already said that the way he plays is harder to defend against than 2 up front, so God alone knows how few he thinks we'd have scored with 2 strikers given the pathetic number of goals we've managed so far with one up front.

Feb 23, 2008
up_the_line":212pz37c said:
chunkymonkey78":212pz37c said:
Orient won 3-2.

People seem to be conveniently forgetting a Wembley trip, a brilliant couple of FA cup games against Liverpool and a promotion season to boot. All of a sudden the apathetical Janner was proud of the club again.

So many people ready to stick the boot in. He deserves time to turn the bad run around. The clubs that are sacking around us have been struggling for a while.

If he's still playing one up and players out of position come Xmas and is showing no signs of learning lessons then it's time for a change, what with the January window etc. Although ironic if the club gives the new manager money to spend as often happens in football.

1. Wembley was a disgrace and an embarrassment, it would be convenient if I could forget it as Argyle's performance would be utterly forgettable had it not been so utterly inept. It was the worst example of Adams' timidness in watching us do nothing with one up front for 75 minutes in a one off game and only pulling his finger out of his arse to change it as a reaction to going one down when it was already too late. His management cost us that game, not anything Kelvin Mellor did.
That's before you even factor in the disastrous capitulation in the second half of that season including such memorable humiliations as Dagenham at home. Adams' conservative tactics, particularly in the second half of his first season and most spectacularly at Wembley held us back in league 4 a season longer than we should have been in it, and lest we forget it was only one step further than Sheridan actually took a truly god awful set of players the previous season (but then, for all his flaws as a manager he knew a goalscorer when he saw one: RR).

2. The promotion season was another example of Adams going more and more conservative and negative as the season wore on and was the worst, most joyless of the four promotion seasons I've witnessed, encapsulated not only by the dirge served up in several home drubbings (surely a pointer as to how the tactics would work at a slightly higher level), but also, with promotion assured and a championship to play for, performances like the utter non event at Colchester. Once again, although this time we were up, the championship was handed to Portsmouth who demonstrated how to win a league playing with panache and swagger on the last day. Another few weeks and we'd have slipped from the top 3.

3. Considering the above it's highly disingenuous to imply that the criticism is only coming now we've lost a few on the bounce, because, albeit a minority, some of us started to question the tactics, inability or unwillingness to change and frankly dour football a long time ago. I kind of begrudgingly accepted that Adams may have seen the binary tactics as a means to an end against the crapsters in div 4 who were marginally less capable of scoring than us (thanks mostly to Graham Carey), but what the hell is the point of the 2 year bore fest to get us out of that division only to continue to serve up the same drivel with the utterly predictable result of an immediate return to the likes of Morecambe and Accrington.... Presumably so we can overacheive against them and their mighty sub 2,000 crowds (point 4, ridiculous patronising, egotistical statements about overacheiving... Overacheiving is keeping Morecambe in the football league season after season, overacheiving is Bradford's cup runs... It's not getting Plymouth Argyle out of the bottom division in league football at the second time of asking, losing 7 at home and going up largely because Carey stayed fit enough to contribute the majority of our goals). Who in their right mind thinks that after playing this way for 2 years and taking a number of tankings at home that Adams is going to 'drop the stubborness'? He's already said that the way he plays is harder to defend against than 2 up front, so God alone knows how few he thinks we'd have scored with 2 strikers given the pathetic number of goals we've managed so far with one up front.

It's simple really, my opinion is he deserves time to turn it round for what he's done for the club, however unsightly and frustrating it was to watch. I've been one of the chief complainants about the tactics and home performances but in the end it did the job.

The tactics in L1 aren't doing the job, so if he doesn't 'drop the stubborness' and see how badly the current tactics are faring, doesn't adapt to the situation then it'll be time for a change come Xmas.

Dec 14, 2008
Plymouth
chunkymonkey78":31nvzywh said:
up_the_line":31nvzywh said:
chunkymonkey78":31nvzywh said:
Orient won 3-2.

It's simple really, my opinion is he deserves time to turn it round for what he's done for the club, however unsightly and frustrating it was to watch.

If he doesn't 'drop the stubborness' and see how badly the current tactics are faring, doesn't adapt to the situation then it'll be time for a change come Xmas.

The problem is he never sees it. Or chooses not to. As I said in a previous comment on this thread, he doesn't make the right tactical changes/any tactical changes when needed. Season before last he cost us at wembley by not making any changes to the lineup or the tactics when we were getting destroyed. What's the point in holding on to subs incase it goes to extra time when with the scoreline at 1-0 it was never going to extra time.
Again, as I said in my previous post, he didn't really have to make that many managerial decisions during games last season, we won most of the matches we did before he really had to do anything, yet in the games where it was needed, his tactical prowess was non existent.
This season he hasnt adapted in any way in my opinion to how different the league is. He just expects the same things to work that worked last season, and now he's tasked with actually having to make decisions and change stuff, he doesn't appear (as I already suspected) to have it in him.
Should he go? I'm not 100% but I'm leaning toward yes due to his stubborness and inability to accept there's a problem. If you don't have a single shot on target and lose the game 3-0 with a player sent off and you still don't believe you should have lost, then you're delusional. My main belief is that if the board do intend on getting rid of him, the sooner the better because the more time the next manager has the better it is for him.

Jul 12, 2016
Can't really argue with UTL's comments. Still think that DA is concentrating too much on the technical side of the game. Our players should be allowed to play the way they understand by keeping it simple.Ironically Cifci is probably the most technically gifted player having played at a higher level but as such is on a different wavelength to the rest of the team

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Adams' whole game plan is to score first, sit back, stifle and play on the counter attack.
It has worked very well since he's been our manager.

If the opposition score first the game plan falls apart, the players have a defensive mindset ingrained into them and find it very difficult to chase a game.
We are the only team in all four leagues not to score in the first half of a game so that stat shows we have rarely scored first this season.
We won the only game we did score first.

Adams is similar to Sheridan in that he doesn't have a plan B.

Despite all this he deserves to stay and be given the chance to move us away from the relegation zone.
He's also been hampered by losing so many key players through injury or suspension.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Watching us get promoted playing dogs hit football is one thing, watching us getting demoted playing the same is entirely different. Those advocating giving him until Christmas must like League two football as that will be all but guaranteed by then.

Sep 28, 2003
London
If we start to get cut off at the bottom, then even the people saying "give him until Christmas" will change their tunes.

Christmas is an awfully long way off.

Feb 23, 2008
Ade the green":1hgo4pp5 said:
Watching us get promoted playing dogs hit football is one thing, watching us getting demoted playing the same is entirely different. Those advocating giving him until Christmas must like League two football as that will be all but guaranteed by then.

Could be wrong but I'm not sure JB is one with an itchy trigger finger anyway.

He gave Fletcher plenty of rope before he finally cut it, Sheridan was allowed time before he made a decision and I'm pretty sure DA will be allowed it too.

I'd be surprised if DA wasn't given until at least Xmas to turn it round.

Not sure if people are missing my point on purpose or not, he's got the job done up until now, he needs to be given a chance to turn it around, if he doesn't change his approach etc in the next 3 months it's time for a change.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
The thing is, even under Fletcher we used to go into games thinking today we might get a result but now! Who's going to be the one sent off? How many will we have put past us? Are the two constant thoughts going to a game.