Derek Adams has to go. | Page 17 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Derek Adams has to go.

Derek Adams as manager?

• Stay

Votes: 164 43.6%
  • Go

Votes: 166 44.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 46 12.2%

• Total voters
Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
chunkymonkey78":ngytm6tz said:
Ade the green":ngytm6tz said:
Watching us get promoted playing dogs hit football is one thing, watching us getting demoted playing the same is entirely different. Those advocating giving him until Christmas must like League two football as that will be all but guaranteed by then.

Could be wrong but I'm not sure JB is one with an itchy trigger finger anyway.

He gave Fletcher plenty of rope before he finally cut it, Sheridan was allowed time before he made a decision and I'm pretty sure DA will be allowed it too.

I'd be surprised if DA wasn't given until at least Xmas to turn it round.

Not sure if people are missing my point on purpose or not, he's got the job done up until now, he needs to be given a chance to turn it around, if he doesn't change his approach etc in the next 3 months it's time for a change.

I'm not missing your point I just disagree with it. Soonest gone, soonest mended.

Oct 24, 2013
Andy Holland":8p1h27e6 said:
If we start to get cut off at the bottom, then even the people saying "give him until Christmas" will change their tunes.

Christmas is an awfully long way off.

There are 13 league games between now and Christmas Day. 6 between now at the end of October, including tonight. Personally, I think October is the make or break month for DA’s tenure.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Ah, the fickleness of "yer average football fan" perfectly summed up during the course of just one internet thread. Just got to love it. :)

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
up_the_line":1walkn3m said:
chunkymonkey78":1walkn3m said:
Orient won 3-2.

People seem to be conveniently forgetting a Wembley trip, a brilliant couple of FA cup games against Liverpool and a promotion season to boot. All of a sudden the apathetical Janner was proud of the club again.

So many people ready to stick the boot in. He deserves time to turn the bad run around. The clubs that are sacking around us have been struggling for a while.

If he's still playing one up and players out of position come Xmas and is showing no signs of learning lessons then it's time for a change, what with the January window etc. Although ironic if the club gives the new manager money to spend as often happens in football.

1. Wembley was a disgrace and an embarrassment, it would be convenient if I could forget it as Argyle's performance would be utterly forgettable had it not been so utterly inept. It was the worst example of Adams' timidness in watching us do nothing with one up front for 75 minutes in a one off game and only pulling his finger out of his arse to change it as a reaction to going one down when it was already too late. His management cost us that game, not anything Kelvin Mellor did.
That's before you even factor in the disastrous capitulation in the second half of that season including such memorable humiliations as Dagenham at home. Adams' conservative tactics, particularly in the second half of his first season and most spectacularly at Wembley held us back in league 4 a season longer than we should have been in it, and lest we forget it was only one step further than Sheridan actually took a truly god awful set of players the previous season (but then, for all his flaws as a manager he knew a goalscorer when he saw one: RR).

2. The promotion season was another example of Adams going more and more conservative and negative as the season wore on and was the worst, most joyless of the four promotion seasons I've witnessed, encapsulated not only by the dirge served up in several home drubbings (surely a pointer as to how the tactics would work at a slightly higher level), but also, with promotion assured and a championship to play for, performances like the utter non event at Colchester. Once again, although this time we were up, the championship was handed to Portsmouth who demonstrated how to win a league playing with panache and swagger on the last day. Another few weeks and we'd have slipped from the top 3.

3. Considering the above it's highly disingenuous to imply that the criticism is only coming now we've lost a few on the bounce, because, albeit a minority, some of us started to question the tactics, inability or unwillingness to change and frankly dour football a long time ago. I kind of begrudgingly accepted that Adams may have seen the binary tactics as a means to an end against the crapsters in div 4 who were marginally less capable of scoring than us (thanks mostly to Graham Carey), but what the hell is the point of the 2 year bore fest to get us out of that division only to continue to serve up the same drivel with the utterly predictable result of an immediate return to the likes of Morecambe and Accrington.... Presumably so we can overacheive against them and their mighty sub 2,000 crowds (point 4, ridiculous patronising, egotistical statements about overacheiving... Overacheiving is keeping Morecambe in the football league season after season, overacheiving is Bradford's cup runs... It's not getting Plymouth Argyle out of the bottom division in league football at the second time of asking, losing 7 at home and going up largely because Carey stayed fit enough to contribute the majority of our goals). Who in their right mind thinks that after playing this way for 2 years and taking a number of tankings at home that Adams is going to 'drop the stubborness'? He's already said that the way he plays is harder to defend against than 2 up front, so God alone knows how few he thinks we'd have scored with 2 strikers given the pathetic number of goals we've managed so far with one up front.

Absolutely spot on

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
If we continue our current form and wait until Xmas, it will be too late. We CANNOT afford to be relegated, which is the difference between this season and previous seasons in L2. We fought hard to get back to L1 and to lose our place is just not acceptable, the Board must know this. I really hope Brent has the cojones to take the decision, if it become necessary. If DA is any kind of manager, he will make some big changes. I'd give him till the end of October, no later.

Sep 28, 2003
London
kernow19":2808p1xg said:
Ah, the fickleness of "yer average football fan" perfectly summed up during the course of just one internet thread. Just got to love it. :)

Yes, you're the only reasonable, intelligent soul around. Thank God we've got you to guide us.

k21

Jan 4, 2012
I am very disappointed with the start of the season.
At one time I thought that DA was going to take us places, now I'm not so sure.

On Saturday the team had no direction. It looked as if 11 players were picked up from outside the ground and sent onto the pitch.

Luke McCormick's kicking from hand and free kicks were abysmal, every kick went down our left side only once did he kick it to the right and that was in the second half.
Surely he can see that our defence is not fit for purpose, Miller is always out of position and the opponents wide-man has acres of space. If you look back at the home games this season you will see that a lot of goals came from our right flank.

Please play some wide players, we are always trying to go straight down the middle, useless.

That's enough fro me, I could write a book on the way that I feel.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
PL2 3DQ":mamwb6og said:
Adams' whole game plan is to score first, sit back, stifle and play on the counter attack.
It has worked very well since he's been our manager.

If the opposition score first the game plan falls apart, the players have a defensive mindset ingrained into them and find it very difficult to chase a game.
We are the only team in all four leagues not to score in the first half of a game so that stat shows we have rarely scored first this season.
We won the only game we did score first.

Adams is similar to Sheridan in that he doesn't have a plan B.

Despite all this deserves to stay and be given the chance to move us away from the relegation zone.
He's also been hampered by losing so many key players through injury or suspension.

With my pi55ed off head on, I can't help thinking that now we're finally out of League 2 we need a progressive manager to take us forward. Swansea got out of League 2 with the old-school stylings of Brian Flynn before building something with Roberto Martinez.

Sitting back and stifling isn't the way forward, the only argument for that would be if we really did have the lowest budget in the division and we had Liverpool-style David and Goliath mismatches every week in which we'd get murdered if we tried to play football.

I am really, really disappointed because I assumed once we got out of the basement division, we would start to develop as an attacking force with Carey as the centrepoint. No longer shackled by the do-or-die pressure of the last few seasons to either get promotion or avoid relegation at any cost.

Instead we're 'matching' up to fellow strugglers at home? Rubbish isn't it?

HOWEVER.... I felt this way at the start of last season about our tactics and recruitment and we finished joint top. Things can change very, very quickly in football.

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":12zlct1o said:
PL2 3DQ":12zlct1o said:
Adams' whole game plan is to score first, sit back, stifle and play on the counter attack.

If the opposition score first the game plan falls apart, the players have a defensive mindset ingrained into them and find it very difficult to chase a game.
We are the only team in all four leagues not to score in the first half of a game so that stat shows we have rarely scored first this season.

Despite all this deserves to stay and be given the chance to move us away from the relegation zone.
He's also been hampered by losing so many key players through injury or suspension.

With my pi55ed off head on, I can't help thinking that now we're finally out of League 2 we need a progressive manager to take us forward. Swansea got out of League 2 with the old-school stylings of Brian Flynn before building something with Roberto Martinez.

Sitting back and stifling isn't the way forward, the only argument for that would be if we really did have the lowest budget in the division and we had Liverpool-style David and Goliath mismatches every week in which we'd get murdered if we tried to play football.

I am really, really disappointed because I assumed once we got out of the basement division, we would start to develop as an attacking force with Carey as the centrepoint. No longer shackled by the do-or-die pressure of the last few seasons to either get promotion or avoid relegation at any cost.

Instead we're 'matching' up to fellow strugglers at home? Rubbish isn't it?

HOWEVER.... I felt this way at the start of last season about our tactics and recruitment and we finished joint top. Things can change very, very quickly in football.

Thing is we did start positively. Played excellently at Peterborough for example. No way will we play that way in current predicament. We have to stop the rot and being so easy to be beaten. Battle for every goal and point. Also we have very little pace at the back so are vulnerable on the break. We often struggled at home last season against sh*te opposition so shouldn't be that surprising!

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":cnq5fmhp said:

Spot on. I have never been his biggest fan ( tactics and personality for me) but thought he had a winning formula. Now he hasn't got that. But its early days and he deserves a few weeks to turn it around. How long do you think he should be given? On another note he seems to often get into silly squabbles with opposition managers. Not sure how helpful that is when you need contacts in the industry and good relationships to work with.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
UTL's post wasn't completely accurate. The game at Colchester should have finished about 4-4. We ended the game with Taylor, Garita, Tanner, Slew, Carey and Sarcevic on the field.
He certainly made every attempt imaginable to win that game, sadly it just wouldn't go in for us. One of those days. It was a game he was prepared to lose trying to win. So i'd stick a question mark about that.
The game at Wembley remains 1 of only 2 Argyle games having attended since 1978 that i left before the end of.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Fair point VoR. Likewise in the game to secure automatics we smashed the form team of the division at that point 5-1.

It wasn't quite the week in week out turgid 1 nil fluke victories some would have you believe.