Penalty decision (Edwards 2 game ban) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Penalty decision (Edwards 2 game ban)

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Welwyn Pilgrim":1e1hxbdp said:
Cause teams were taking advantage of the 10 metre rule. For example, opposing team awarded a direct free kick 25 yards out but the players would purposely commit an infringement in order to get the ball moved forward 10 yards as it was deemed harder for the player taking the free kick to score from closer in then where orginal free kick was awarded. That was my reading off it anyway

You would have thought that the easiest solution would have been to offer the team taking the free kick the option of whether to use the 10 yard gain or not.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Welwyn Pilgrim":3bzw3xx5 said:
Cause teams were taking advantage of the 10 metre rule. For example, opposing team awarded a direct free kick 25 yards out but the players would purposely commit an infringement in order to get the ball moved forward 10 yards as it was deemed harder for the player taking the free kick to score from closer in then where orginal free kick was awarded. That was my reading off it anyway

The trial wasn't radical enough. Had they made it, if ten yards forward takes the ball into the area, it became a penalty then dissent in that area of the pitch would now be something of the past.

Jul 3, 2013
If the player has made no attempt to win tge ball ans checked him as in thus instance then its a straight red. However, if Edwards had lunged at the ball and fouled him in exactly the same position tgen he woukd not have got sent off. The ref was spot on with jothe the awarding of the penalty and the red card. On the plus side Songo will slide back in to defence and we can hopefully play a more attacking player in Midfield.

Feb 8, 2005
Aaron D.":1fwpli8z said:
Foul yes. Red card no. What is Edwards supposed to do when the forward cuts in front of him. Step aside? He can't as his momentum is taking him back towards goal, very clever from the Oxford player.

Very harsh on us.

Agree, the referee got conned. Thomas got ahead of Edwards, cut across him and slowed slightly, forcing the contact and going down like a sack of potatoes.

Edwards showed his inexperience at this level, but he will learn.

Penalty, yes, red, no just a yellow.

Edwards and referee got conned.

Oct 24, 2010
It was a clear cut penalty and a red card. The Oxford striker got his body between Edwards and the ball and Edwards ran into his back and that is a foul. In that situation the defender has to give it up and leave it to his goalkeeper to deal with; any contact and the striker goes down and it’s a penalty and a red card. And it is a red card. That is still the default position for denying a clear scoring opportunity, the referee, at his discretion, can award a yellow if he considers there was a genuine attempt to play the ball and he deems the foul to be accidental. This was obviously not the case on Saturday, Edwards was nowhere near the ball and the only way he could have got to it would have been to foul the striker. It was a straightforward red. It was very disappointing and could well have cost us the match but the referee got it right.

Aug 5, 2016
Chicago Green":2jfvh5i7 said:
It seems odd that you get punished 3 times simply for the player being a bit of an oaf rather than anything more sinister. Once for the red card, once for the penalty and once for the ban. In situations like this, where we're down to 10 men for most of the game and already 1-0 from the penalty, it seems a bit harsh to then have a ban.

I know a professional foul in the final minutes of close game could be interpreted very differently, hence the ban I suppose, but in this particular case, I feel like we're getting a little hard done by.

Agreed. It was such a bad decision against a struggling side, I am stunned that the referee felt 75 mins with 10 men, a future suspension and a likely goal from a penalty was just desserts for essentially a clumsy tangle. What was Edwards meant to do? Stop completely dead to be sure their striker had all the time to pick his spot?

Kompany got a yellow for a worse much more direct last man foul on Vardy. Their referee took into account it was the 2nd minute and he didn't want to ruin the match. Whereas we get Coco the Clown taking centre stage.