✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
PL2 3DQ":28hcmto0 said:
Cobblers to the Tuesday jinx! :)

We produced one of our best home displays of the season in what was a crucial win.

Two headed goals from Bradley from free-kicks taken by Fox and Carey was the difference against a poor Northampton team. Bradley was dominant in defence and attack and could have had a hat trick or better when two other headers whistled just wide. Bradley plays better when he has Songo'o alongside him instead of Edwards and I think they are our best centre-back pairing. Edwards is a good defender but Songo'o makes Bradley a better defender.

The fans were fantastic throughout the game and once the loud pre-match music did its best to kill the atmosphere the fans took over and backed the team once they saw the players were up for it tonight.

We had another injury before the game and two injuries during the game. Reserve keeper Mike Cooper missed the game and 16 year old Max Childs took over on the bench - on a school night as well.
Our only fit professional keeper picked up an injury during the game and soldiered on with a limp, hopefully Matthews will be ok for Saturday.
Jervis suffered an injury in the groin area in the opening minutes of the match when he was man-handled on his man-tackle during a tackle but was able to continue after giving himself a rub down!

We were nervous during the opening minutes and Bradley and Songo'o were hesitant - giving the ball away in dangerous positions.

We slowly got to grips with Northampton and put them under pressure, it looked at first that we would start another home game by sitting back and containing the opposition but today we pushed forward more.

The runs of Jervis down the channels caused problems - once again he's not a target man and will not hold up the ball, a point lost on some fans but his running brings a different attacking dimension to the team.

We had a couple of free flowing moves where the ball was moved around the team and one particular move ended with Carey hitting the side netting.

We got our deserved goal when Fox floated a free-kick into the box and there was Bradley to easily head in. Just like the old days!

Northampton retaliated and pushed forward and forced the half-fit Matthews into an excellent low save.

We started the second half again on the front foot and scored through another Bradley header. This time it was Carey who dinked a cross to the far post and the unmarked Bradley headed in. The whole team minus Matthews, who probably couldn't run that far anyway, joined Bradley in front of the Spion Kop to celebrate the goal.

Soon after a Carey low cross just evaded the diving Jervis and two Bradley headers just went wide, it seemed everytime he came forward for a corner or free-kick he would score and the crowd knew it!

After those close chances we contained Northampton, some fans became nervous but Northampton were allowed to have the ball on the halfway line and once they came towards us we snuffed them out and stopped any clear cut chances except for one which shot just wide.
The game plan reverted to type - contain, stifle and play on the counter attack, which is fine when 2-0 up but not when losing a game which has happened in other games.

We easily closed down the game and claimed the deserved win.

Northampton were poor, which was either due to them actually being that poor or we made them play like that with our energy and football.
Many fans want Adams replaced but would another manager get the wins and play good football just as Adams and his team did tonight? Credit where it's due.
The bottom of League One is now bunched up and we would be out of the relegation zone on Saturday.

When either Carey or Bradley play well the team usually plays well and both players had good games, especially Bradley.

Fox was consistent as ever, he slotted into the Songo'o role at the base of the midfield which allowed Sarcevic and Diagouraga to push forward.
Diagouraga has been an excellent signing and his passing and quick feet was a feature tonight. Sarcevic is still struggling to find his place in the team and at times it shows.

Taylor-Sinclair was close to being man of the match, he hardly put a foot wrong and showed he can push forward.
Grant did a job for the team and once again got into some promising positions without finding the killer final ball.

It's a pity we didn't score more goals but it seemed the clean sheet was of more importance during the closing stages.

When we score first Adams' tactics work and tonight they worked a treat!

Man of the Match - Bradley.

Matthews 7, Sawyer 7, Songo'o 7, Bradley 8, Taylor-Sinclair 7, Fox 7, Diagouraga 7, Sarcevic 6, Carey 7, Grant 6, Jervis 7. Subs Fletcher n/a, Ainsworth n/a.

A special mention for the referee, what a relief to have a good ref, you can see why he's been fast tracked from non-league.

As I saw it. My MOM Songo'o. ATS close second.

Oct 14, 2015
So much inconsistencies in players performances and ratings. Obviously people see different things but from someone who can't attend home fixtures in midweek due to where my home is I try and really on the opinions of those who went but it's virtually impossible to do that. The only thing everyone agrees on is that we won 2-0.....

Sep 19, 2015
PL2's report is a lot closer to the mark than the original synopsis.

I thought we pressed well from the front with Jervis working his gnads off hurrying and harassing the Northampton back four and forcing them to play long. We also played some nice football in and around the wide areas and got 2 or 3 really dangerous balls into the box which on another day we could of converted. The 3 in the middle controlled the game for large parts and apart from a 15 minute spell in the second half where Northampton were on top, I never really thought they were troubling us that much.

All in all, a much better performance than last Saturday and a good stepping stone to move onto Pompey this weekend

All in all a much better performance than

Feb 18, 2009
Plymouth
Steve Evans":2h7uifa3 said:
abysmal spectacle with northampton one of the poorest side i have seen in years.on this showing these two sides and two others are down.two good deliveries by graham and two well placed headers by sonny.these were the main highlights!i don't normally rate sarcevic but i thought he did well tonight.my ratings;

Remi Matthews - 6
Gary Sawyer - 7
Yann Songo'o - 6
Sonny Bradley - 6
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 5
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Tounami Diagouraga - 2
David Fox - 7
Graham Carey - 7
Joel Grant - 3
Jake Jervis - 5

Max Childs - unused
Gary Miller - unused
Ruben Lameiras - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Lionel Ainsworth - n/a
Alex Fletcher - n/a
Nadir Ciftci - unused

If you didn't attend the game, you should not be giving out player ratings. And you Sir, did NOT attend the game last night.
If, on the extremely slim chance that you did attend, you spent the whole 90 mins, plus stoppage time with your head planted well and truly up your 'arris.

Oct 24, 2010
A tight game between two well organized teams. We got forward in the first half and at times played some excellent football and deserved the half time lead, albeit courtesy of a free header. After we scored the second early in the second half we dropped deeper and slipped into defensive mode and apart from a couple of scares saw the game out comfortably. Not a spectacular but satisfying performance with our defense solid throughout. The back four and Fox just in front of them were excellent and Diagouraga had a very good game, Jervis worked hard and Carey as ever caused their defense problems on occasions.

The Doctor":1f2fzn6f said:
Let's just clear one thing up. Fox took the first free-kick that Bradley scored from, not Carey. Didn't he?
Yep my mistake if your referring to me. Foxy took the free kick for the first and GC10 the second.
I dont take notes its all done by memory and im getting older and the old brain dont function so well.
And i was a tired and worn out old boy last night after all that excitement.
Your going to have to allow for some errors im afraid. :thumbup:

Apr 9, 2011
Got the three points but boy if we didn't get them against a team as poor as Northampton then we really would deserve to be relegated, we were the best of two very poor teams now onwards to a much sterner test against Pompey.

Apr 9, 2011
Metal_Green_Mickey":cdrgobc8 said:
So not sure what it was in particular but after 10-20mins of that game you knew Argyle should win the game. Northampton were that poor/bad.

What I didn't know though is that Bradley would return to scoring action and show the forwards and midfielders how to hit the back of the net. Great to see and a welcome return of return to goal scoring form. A number of decent performances which should have seen Argyle score more goals.

You cant say that Northampton didn't put the effort in but compared to the other sides we have seen down here their was a gulf in the level of skill and application. Now it might be levelled at me that Argyle made them look poor. However, given I have seen 10 homes games I really do believe Northampton will either be relegated or very close to it given how poorly they played.

Argyle had them on the ropes numerous times but failed often with the final ball. However we got the goals but instead of killing them off we sat back in the second half against a very poor side. Fortunately, for us Northampton missed the good chances they had. Some of their better chances was a free header at the far post in the first half which Matthews just managed to grab on second attempt and the 1-on-1 in the second half which the Northampton forward dinked over Matthews but wide of the post.

Argyle need to repeat this performance and result though against better opposition at HP. There is a reason why Northampton and Argyle both sat on -15 goal difference before tonight's game.

So good that we got an essential 3 points tonight but the question remains have we turned a corner or did we just play a side who is in fact one of the worse 4-6 clubs in league one along with us.
Think the last sentence probably sums it up

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
3 wins from our last 4 games in all competitions doesn't make for bad reading despite the horror show on Saturday. Got to capitalise on Pompey missing Burgess and Pitman on Saturday and get ourselves out of this mess.

Oct 14, 2015
Ghost":3efjiqq2 said:
Steve Evans":3efjiqq2 said:
abysmal spectacle with northampton one of the poorest side i have seen in years.on this showing these two sides and two others are down.two good deliveries by graham and two well placed headers by sonny.these were the main highlights!i don't normally rate sarcevic but i thought he did well tonight.my ratings;

Remi Matthews - 6
Gary Sawyer - 7
Yann Songo'o - 6
Sonny Bradley - 6
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Tounami Diagouraga - 2
David Fox - 7
Graham Carey - 7
Joel Grant - 3
Jake Jervis - 5

Max Childs - unused
Gary Miller - unused
Ruben Lameiras - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Lionel Ainsworth - n/a
Alex Fletcher - n/a
Nadir Ciftci - unused

If you didn't attend the game, you should not be giving out player ratings. And you Sir, did NOT attend the game last night.
If, on the extremely slim chance that you did attend, you spent the whole 90 mins, plus stoppage time with your head planted well and truly up your 'arris.[/quot

:):)

Aug 24, 2011
Welwyn Pilgrim":3d5fdp5y said:
Ghost":3d5fdp5y said:
Steve Evans":3d5fdp5y said:

Remi Matthews - 6
Gary Sawyer - 7
Yann Songo'o - 6
Sonny Bradley - 6
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Tounami Diagouraga - 2
David Fox - 7
Graham Carey - 7
Joel Grant - 3
Jake Jervis - 5

Max Childs - unused
Gary Miller - unused
Ruben Lameiras - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Lionel Ainsworth - n/a
Alex Fletcher - n/a
Nadir Ciftci - unused

If, on the extremely slim chance that you did attend, you spent the whole 90 mins, plus stoppage time with your head planted well and truly up your 'arris.[/quot

Agree,

These ratings literally translate to someone who knows nothing about football, don't care how long you have been going, you just simply do not understand it.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Welwyn Pilgrim":1z2sk2tp said:
Ghost":1z2sk2tp said:
Steve Evans":1z2sk2tp said:

Remi Matthews - 6
Gary Sawyer - 7
Yann Songo'o - 6
Sonny Bradley - 6
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Tounami Diagouraga - 2
David Fox - 7
Graham Carey - 7
Joel Grant - 3
Jake Jervis - 5

Max Childs - unused
Gary Miller - unused
Ruben Lameiras - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Lionel Ainsworth - n/a
Alex Fletcher - n/a
Nadir Ciftci - unused

i did attend the game,and i do not profess to "know" anything about the sport.however,i,along with everyone else,was invited on the brief synopsis page to summarise and my report is how i saw it. :D

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Some comments here and elsewhere that the football was dire despite our win last night. I must say after 10 minutes I was fearing the worst but at that point we put together a free flowing move all along the ground that resulted in a good opportunity. Thereafter the game was a bit weird for me - periods of poor football, hoofing included - but also interspersed with some really good moves from us.

I'd probably rank Northampton as the worst team I've seen this season with MK Dons not far behind (a shame we had 10 men for most of that game).