Kelle Roos joins on an emergency loan (ball over the line?) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Kelle Roos joins on an emergency loan (ball over the line?)

Do you think ball was over the line v Gillingham?

• Yes

Votes: 51 40.2%
  • No

Votes: 65 51.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters
Dec 3, 2005
In - out - In - out shake it all about.

Right or wrong the incident did not result in a goal - even IF it was IN it wasn't given - Gillingham players didnt exactly go overbored in their reaction to the Ref's decision.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
r4h4al":2ris836m said:
PL2 3DQ":2ris836m said:
On Matchday Moments there's a camera in the corner of the goal that shows our second goal but there's no footage from this camera for the ghost goal. That camera would have given us a good angle of the ball over the line. :)

Maybe it's better for the club not to show this definite footage of the ball over the line, all other camera angles leave it open to interpretation.

I think the Matchday Moments footage prove it didn't cross the line.
Quite the opposite actually. It proves nothing as you couldn't possibly tell from that angle.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Argy1e":21gc9bi8 said:
r4h4al":21gc9bi8 said:
PL2 3DQ":21gc9bi8 said:
On Matchday Moments there's a camera in the corner of the goal that shows our second goal but there's no footage from this camera for the ghost goal. That camera would have given us a good angle of the ball over the line. :)

Maybe it's better for the club not to show this definite footage of the ball over the line, all other camera angles leave it open to interpretation.

I think the Matchday Moments footage prove it didn't cross the line.
Quite the opposite actually. It proves nothing as you couldn't possibly tell from that angle.

I could tell.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Keepitgreen":3hpm7c9v said:
Biggs":3hpm7c9v said:
As great as Matchday Moments is, it doesn’t have a good angle to see for sure. The best one so far is the official match highlights angle, where I’m 99% sure it doesn’t go over.

The very fact that there’s such a debate about it after countless views of replays, just shows that the referee couldn’t possibly be sure in real-time and therefore could never have given it.
That's because the ref couldn't see it at all. The first thing he does is look at the lino. He couldn't see it because of the position of Kelle's body. We had no such obstruction - it was over. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I’m not sure how you can be so sure of something that happened in a millisecond, when other people have slowed down a good angled replay from the official highlights 20-30 times and come to the conclusion that the whole ball is ‘probably’ not over.

As you say though, it’s academic really as the ref couldn’t see it and thus couldn’t give a goal, so a bad decision hasn’t been made.

P

pilgrim errant

Match day Moments gives good evidence that the whole of the ball did not cross the whole of the line - freeze and see that Roos’s arm is behind the ball and not sufficiently beyond the line for the whole circumference to have crossed it. Evidence - mind you - not proof. The Herald was way out of line with it’s headline suggesting that it was a mistake by the officials and that it had crossed the line - thus maligning referee and assistant for not giving it. They should hang their heads in shame!

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
It was the linesman who made the decision - the ref looked over to him and he made a very animated 'no goal' signal. However, as I looked down at the point of the incident from Block 8, the lino was still in motion towards the touchline (understandably as he would have been monitoring the line of defence for offside). I can't see how he, or any linesman in such a situation can make that call reliably - not criticising, just saying it isn't possible.

Id be interested to hear from anyone who had a seat looking right down the goal line, only they would be able to see if the ball was over or not. All other angles could be misleading including the lino's if he wasn't looking down the line. If he wasn't sure it was over then he made the right call not giving a goal.

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
Ha ha - look at the vote results: In - 8 votes, Out - 8 votes, Don't know - 2 votes.

Sounds like the ref & lino correctly made the only call they could in that case :thumbup:

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
FourMarksGreen":1cp2l0w1 said:
Ha ha - look at the vote results: In - 8 votes, Out - 8 votes, Don't know - 2 votes.

Sounds like the ref & lino correctly made the only call they could in that case :thumbup:

:iagree:

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
Not in. The ball bounces off the post and then on the goal line. It is the angle from the TV camera that gives the impression it has crossed because when the ball bounces up you can see green grass between the ball and the goal line.

Good decision.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Aaron D.":vfe5a7gj said:
Id be interested to hear from anyone who had a seat looking right down the goal line, only they would be able to see if the ball was over or not. All other angles could be misleading including the lino's if he wasn't looking down the line. If he wasn't sure it was over then he made the right call not giving a goal.

Even then they are recounting a nano second from over two days ago.

At the time, a lot of people were saying it was WAY over... well we know that wasn’t the case, at least.

Biggs":2dihvbjm said:
Aaron D.":2dihvbjm said:

Even then they are recounting a nano second from over two days ago.

At the time, a lot of people were saying it was WAY over... well we know that wasn’t the case, at least.

True, but in that nanosecond you know. Everyone at an angle can't be sure when it's close to going over. That's why I sit in exactly that spot when I go to HP. Unfortunately I live in France so I don't go very often.

Oct 31, 2015
I think this has proven that the ref and lino need help with this sort of thing nowadays. I have only just been throwing in my two pence worth to prove how difficult it is