Carey vs Buzsaky | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Carey vs Buzsaky

Aug 5, 2016
Strange thread but I had an argument recently with a (non Argyle supporting) friend about who the better player was/is.

My opinion is Carey, his is Buzsaky.

The immediate observation is that they were playing two divisions apart. If you include QPR, Akos played in the Premier League, for Hungary internationally and also under Jose Mourinho at Porto. So Akos has undeniably made more of himself at a higher level.

However Carey's CV at Argyle has been near legendary. He has been the driving force behind all manner of goals and assists, some world class goals - long range belters, dribbles, sprints and finishes. All while pulling his weight and committing to defending, which Akos never even pretended to be interested in doing. Pulls had our best player at the time on the bench for exactly this reason. Akos looked streets above with his silky moves, but Carey is direct - if he doesn't deliver goals its chances and assists.

If you could have one player at their best for Argyle which one do you start and which one do you bench? A direct comparison of player v player.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Love Carey but he isn't yet proven beyond the SPL and league 2, Akos played championship, premiership and international, so it's Akos for me...at the moment.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
I'd go for Carey.

If Buzsaky was anywhere near as good as some are saying he'd have played far more than 20 times in what was a poor Hungarian team. I don't even think Akos is the best Hungarian we've had.

Feb 2, 2007
In terms of technical ability the only players that compared to Akos that I saw in the flesh were Cantona, Scott Sinclair, and Dwight Yorke. Incredible ability but end product and discipline were quite often patchy with Akos. I'm sure in L2 he would have dominated, as Carey has at times, but we will never know.

Carey has proven himself technically proficient, a team player and both provider and finisher.

Both bloody good blokes though.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
It is interesting how Akos' s reputation seems to have become enhanced on PASOTI over recent weeks.

I remember his flashes of brilliance, of course. However, I also remember large scale groans around HP whenever he tried something flashy and it didn't come off. I think that was also reflected in his non selection on several occasions.

Of the two, Carey and Akos ? ... GC10 every time.

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
Carey produces more in terms of goals and assists. He also influences games more consistently, with a "good game" ratio of about 3 in 4 by my thinking.

Buzz gave me a greater "wow factor", but was inconsistent, didn't score as many as perhaps he should, and often disappeared in games. Carey doesn't stop running about even when he's not having a great game.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Difficult to compare.

Are you asking to compare Buz against Carey in the L2 standard or Carey against Buz in championship standard?

If your asking which player in his own league based on individual contributions then it's Carey all day long.

Nov 4, 2012
Akos by far. Was a top Championship player and Didn't look out of place in the Premier League. Throw in he played a lot of games for Hungary as well. Alright Hungary might not be Germany or Spain but it's not like they're bloody Luxembourg.

I'm slightly concerned we might be putting too much pressure on Carey.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
As you say, your friend is non Argyle (perish the thought) so naturally he will regard Amos as the greater of the two. Are webeing asked who is the greater player or in your/our case being asked who the greater Argyle player to be?

In my mind Akos has achieved more, playing in the Premier League and gaining full international caps but as some say, this is Hungary and not Germany etc. With that in mind, should we not also consider Fallon as he has played in a World Cup or of course, Peter Shelton whose best days were well over before he pulled on an Argyle jersey.

Graham Carey on the other hand has been the best player at Home Park for 5 maybe 10 years and has been more influential because of it. To be considered the best player outside the Championship by so many pundits playing for a League two side would have pushed his value up extraordinarily higher than any player for us for a long, long time and as we have pointed out by his own thread we would be feeling a greater lose for him than Akos.

For me it could be most gifted player Akos. Better Argyle player GC10 and most influential GC10.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Have debated this subject with myself many times and as much as I love GC10, Akos just edges it as the "most gifted" if that what you call the best player.

That said I think GC has the better work and team attitude so its a really close call