Away Travel Warning - M5 J4a to M6 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Away Travel Warning - M5 J4a to M6

B

Bryan

Just a word of warning for anyone travelling up the M5....

There are long term (read all of this season) roadworks on the M5 between Junction 2 and the M6.

Highways England are trying to push northbound traffic onto the M42 and then up the M6, which is a 20 mile detour.

There are more works taking place at Junction 4a of the M5 where the M42 branches off. At the moment M5 traffic is being squeezed into 1 lane only at this point. I'm not sure why this, I have asked Highways England and am waiting for their reply.

Needless to say the queues approaching J4a from the South are not good!!

Oct 11, 2014
If you want to avoid the M42 if going towards the East Midlands and the M1 take the A46 at the Tweksbury turn off and follow it up to Warwick for the M69 and M1 at Leicester. Going North West is trickier to avoid. It's about half and half single and dual carriageway.

P

pilgrimimp

I would also recommend coming off at junc 6 the a449 and follow signs through to Wolverhampton then on to either the m54 or follow the a449 for another 6 miles onto the m6 junc13

It takes about a hour but not that busy

B

Bryan

OK, I've had an update from a representative for Highways England.

The bottleneck at J4a northbound is a permanent feature, so only one lane for the M5 and 2 for the M42, the idea being to force people to use the M42.

Immediately after this restriction there are 2 lanes on the M5 with average speed cameras upto the actual road works at J2 - there are no works actually taking place between J4a and J2.

The options others have suggested are viable - but in my experience they are not that quick, however there are not really any obvious alternatives.

Maybe (hopefully) as people get used to the layout things will improve.

Bryan":8o5z7ta4 said:

There are long term (read all of this season) roadworks on the M5 between Junction 2 and the M6.

Highways England are trying to push northbound traffic onto the M42 and then up the M6, which is a 20 mile detour.
E
There are more works taking place at Junction 4a of the M5 where the M42 branches off. At the moment M5 traffic is being squeezed into 1 lane only at this point. I'm not sure why this, I have asked Highways England and am waiting for their reply.

An alternative way is M5, M4, M25, A1M.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
saffronwalden green":lq3xm97r said:
Bryan":lq3xm97r said:

E

An alternative way is M5, M4, M25, A1M.
Indeed. I've looked at that and although it's 30 miles longer it could end up being quicker. Unless the M25 is worse than the M5.

B

Bryan

That's certainly an option for Peterborough but not so attractive for all the games we have this season in the North West!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Due to an accident on the M5 near Bristol it's just taken me 6 hours to get from Plymouth to Bristol. If the players left Plymouth at lunch time, as they usually do, they will get caught in it and I can see them arriving in Peterborough very late tonight.

Not a good start to the season.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I will never EVER understand anyone travelling on a Friday unless it's essential.

Far better having an early start on a Saturday and stay over on the Sunday if people want to break up the driving.

In my vast experience of driving up and down the motorways, the worst afternoon evenings to drive are Fridays and Sundays.

Oct 11, 2014
Even better sleep during the day/evening and drive overnight. That's what I am doing Early hours next Friday from Lincs to Jannerland. 5 hours driving is long enough without the hold ups of holiday traffic

Jul 13, 2006
Preparation is the key.
The team should have left first thing this morning.
The traffic will be bad. There will be additional holiday traffic, plus roadworks, plus a good chance of an accident somewhere, and it is a long old poke.
Sometimes you have to alter your schedule because of circumstances.

greenplumber

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jun 10, 2015
It has just taken 8.5 hours to get to Peterborough from Plymouth today, did 14 miles in 4 hrs on the m5, but hey here now looking forward to the match. I found the roads once off the m5 to Peterborough ok no issues at all. Have a good drive tomorrow those of you coming up.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Has anyone gone through these roadworks lately? How long does it take to get through?