Southend Match 19 August - Alan Moody | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Southend Match 19 August - Alan Moody

Apr 26, 2016
Dear All,

Southend fan here in peace (though those of you that have read my 'Roots To The 92' book will know that I have strong links with Argyle).

At the forthcoming match at Roots Hall I have organised a collection for an ex Southend player, Alan Moody. Alan is The Shrimpers record appearances holder having clocked over 500 appearances between 1972 and 1984. However, two years ago, aged 64, he was dealt the shattering blow of having to have both of his legs amputated (despite leaving an active and healthy life).

The collection is a tribute to Alan with the aim of the proceeds going towards help fund a specially adapted car for him (he has had some help from the PFA with making his house more disability friendly - as we all know players from the 70's/80's were not typically high earners, especially lower league stalwarts). Alan, with his daughter, will then be attending a match at Roots Hall in September.

I just wanted to let you know this so you know why there will be a couple of collectors outside the Argyle entrance to the ground for those that would like to contribute. If you'd like to find out more you can visit the following which includes an online donation link: http://www.shrimperstrust.co.uk/home.asp?page_id=766

An article will be sent to PAFC to see if they can put it on the club website.

Knowing of old the generosity of the Green Army (I still proudly have an Argyle scarf, have been to Home Park nearly 100 times mostly in 1980's, was present at WBA etc in that cup run, been a member of the London Supporters Branch, last visited Home Park last year for that great win in the Devon Derby) I'd also like to ask one other favour: do you think there is any possibility that a collection could be held on the coaches traveling up to Roots Hall for the game? Who might I contact to discuss this?

Thanks to you all for your patience in reading this. Cheers, Andy

Apr 26, 2016
Pre-match thread for the game on Saturday now opened on the Southend fan forum, visiting team posters always welcome for sensible debate! Not too much optimism at the moment after the slaughter at Rotherham on Saturday! http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthre ... uth-Argyle

This match as mentioned is also Moody Blues day - there is a separate thread on that: http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthre ... Starts-Now!

Safe trip to Essex for all in the Green Army - any idea what numbers will turn up?

May 8, 2011
Roots To The 92":11pcjqu8 said:
Pre-match thread for the game on Saturday now opened on the Southend fan forum, visiting team posters always welcome for sensible debate! Not too much optimism at the moment after the slaughter at Rotherham on Saturday! http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthre ... uth-Argyle

This match as mentioned is also Moody Blues day - there is a separate thread on that: http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthre ... Starts-Now!

Safe trip to Essex for all in the Green Army - any idea what numbers will turn up?

As it is close to London probably around 1,500, we had 1,300 at Peterborough.
We have a lot of exiles living in the south east which will swell the numbers.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
I always enjoy a trip to Southend and will be getting there on Friday and returning on Sunday. Hoping for dry weather so that I can walk out on the pier and back.

Apr 26, 2016
http://www.southend.gov.uk/info/200306/ ... nformation

Pier trains seem to be up and running again so might help if you are short of time. Not a bad walk tho - spot the dodgy board is a favourite game.

Many moons ago I was a member of PASALB, always a good crowd and often meetings with players after London area matches,recall a great one at Watford with Tommy Tynan, Kevin Hodges and co.

Apr 26, 2016
Hello again, per my original post does anyone know who I might contact who organises the away travel coaches please? Thanks

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Roots To The 92":22em0pdt said:
Hello again, per my original post does anyone know who I might contact who organises the away travel coaches please? Thanks

Love Southend Roots! Part of my childhood as my Great Grandmother used to live there and we (my Brother and I) spent several weeks every year during the Summer holidays with her---seemed very exotic to a couple of kids from Finsbury Park! The beach and the Kursaal--so many memories--hope you get a response, they are a very decent bunch down here so I would be surprised if you don't.

Apr 26, 2016
Old Gunner":36rcr7k5 said:
Roots To The 92":36rcr7k5 said:

Love Southend Roots! Part of my childhood as my Great Grandmother used to live there and we (my Brother and I) spent several weeks every year during the Summer holidays with her---seemed very exotic to a couple of kids from Finsbury Park! The beach and the Kursaal--so many memories--hope you get a response, they are a very decent bunch down here so I would be surprised if you don't.

Thanks Old Gunner, I know they are a decent bunch, I have been with them many a time from my period in Plymouth and to this day still watch Argyle with my green scarf when I can. Foremost I am a Shrimper, but that '84 win at WBA in that oh so cramped corner of the Hawthorns, the Derby cup run games, the Tynan 10 from 9, trips to outposts all over, the Wembley win v Darlo, and even the Devon Derby last season, are all treasured memories and I hope for more too in the coming years as I wind down work and our family plans we hope take us back to the West Country.

Our Moody Blues campaign is a special one for us, it is a fans tribute to someone who deserves it more than most, and if any of the Green Army would like to add their support to the collectors on the day it would be much appreciated. A key reason for wanting to contact the away travel organiser is to let folk know what we are doing so they do not step off the coach from a very long journey (I have done it many times!) and wonder what it's al about when they see the collectors in their Moody Blues t-shirts (ie we are not a pop tribute act!)

In the words of one of Alan's old team mates Paul Clark in a message to Southend fans on the club website this week: “Alan does not deserve what has happened to him but what he deserves, more than most, is the support of everyone even though he would never ask for it - the man has too much class for that.”

Cheers, Andy

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Roots To The 92":11ievjl2 said:
This is the best I can do. I know David Fisher is a poster on here:

PAFC Supporters Travel Club Committee

Jun 8, 2015
Brighton
Hi Andy,

Where would you recommend for a decent boozer for away fans? Getting train to Prittlewell station, so ideally near there/roots hall.

Cheers.

Apr 26, 2016
Hi Sayers, I put something on a separate 'Best Pub' thread re this - The Railway is on the way to the ground from Prittlewell tho whether away fans are allowed in is another matter. Choice is not great I'm afraid - I use the Shrimpers Bar under the East Stand which allows away fans in, basic but friendly.

Prittlewell is on the Liverpool St line, for those coming in on the Fenchurch St line the top thing to do is to get off at Leigh for a bit where there are a couple of pubs with good beer and great views across the estuary.

I do recall once when traveling with PASALB to an Argyle match at Ipswich we got off at Manningtree Station to present the station pub landlord with the PASALB supporters pub of the year award (a truly great honour) after having a great time there the season before. At the time it was much smaller than it is now with a max capacity of circa 30 if no one had beer guts, well in excess of that number turned up and caused chaos!

Sep 6, 2006
Sayers":ntzoihvu said:
Hi Andy,

Where would you recommend for a decent boozer for away fans? Getting train to Prittlewell station, so ideally near there/roots hall.

Cheers.

You need to take a look at yourself mate. This a thread about a player who has fallen on hard times and you are asking about pubs. Unbelievable! :facepalm: u

Jun 8, 2015
Brighton
Roots To The 92":2kolxecp said:
Hi Sayers, I put something on a separate 'Best Pub' thread re this - The Railway is on the way to the ground from Prittlewell tho whether away fans are allowed in is another matter. Choice is not great I'm afraid - I use the Shrimpers Bar under the East Stand which allows away fans in, basic but friendly.

Prittlewell is on the Liverpool St line, for those coming in on the Fenchurch St line the top thing to do is to get off at Leigh for a bit where there are a couple of pubs with good beer and great views across the estuary.

I do recall once when traveling with PASALB to an Argyle match at Ipswich we got off at Manningtree Station to present the station pub landlord with the PASALB supporters pub of the year award (a truly great honour) after having a great time there the season before. At the time it was much smaller than it is now with a max capacity of circa 30 if no one had beer guts, well in excess of that number turned up and caused chaos!

Thanks Rtt92 - Appreciate the info.

@Balham - Pour yourself a bath mate.

Apr 26, 2016
Quick note to the Green Army traveling to Southend today - it is carnival day at Southend which means even more traffic on the already clogged roads, so do aim to leave a bit more time for your trip. I appreciate as I post those going from Devon will have already set off!

Safe trip all

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Anyone know what time the team got to Southend on Friday? It wasn't another 12 hour trip nightmare was it ???!