Chelsea 2 Argyle 2 1st Nov 1975 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Chelsea 2 Argyle 2 1st Nov 1975

Jan 8, 2006
I remember going to this game with my dad. He bought tickets in the wrong part of the ground, so we ended up sitting in the old grandstand at the time with the Chelsea fans. We went 2-0 down and the Chelsea fans were laughing and poking fun at me with my Argyle scarf on. The game changed in the 70 min when Mariner got one back. Away to my left on the open terracing the Argyle fans went mad. I jumped out of my seat and cheered like mad. The Chelsea fans around me were not happy. Argyle were back in the game, against a team which included players like Ray Wilkins, Bonetti and Chopper Harris. 5 mins later we were in heaven, Mariner had scored the equaliser. This time I lifted my scarf, turned around in my seat facing the Chelsea fans and cheered loudly (among other gestures.) I have to be honest and say that the ecstasy I felt at that moment is why I love supporting our great club. If I said the Chelsea fans were not happy that would be a massive understatement! Mariner had done it again.

Does history repeat itself? Well maybe it did last night. Two down to Chelsea, came back to get a draw. This time another young striker scores both the goals. Time will tell, but in Fletcher we have a very talented footballer. If he had gone unnoticed before, after last night he is on the radar big time.

Dec 29, 2011
Remember this like it was yesterday.Was also in the West Stand with the friendly Chelsea natives.Chelsea fans I know always comment on our fantastic support that day .Also remember going a year later when the score was 2.2 also .John Delve had a screamer disallowed.We had about 50 fans for that game

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Brilliant day.

Great goal by Ray Wilkins sticks in my memory as well as the feeling of elation as Mariner saved a point.

Aug 13, 2009
Remember that game well. Argyle were excellent second half and were all over Chelsea.
Mind you, mid 70's at Chelsea for a teenager was like going into battle!! It was a war zone in the away end.

Jan 5, 2011
Ah, how the mind plays tricks. I was at that game and the one the following year, but I think I have merged them into one memory, which is of standing in an away end thinly populated by Greens. Then, towards the end of the game, seeing a stream of fans leaving the home end and suddenly finding myself in an away end extremely well populated by Blues, and only a few policemen and a dog separating the handful of us and the rather a lot of them! I was almost willing us not to score the winner! But now I think that must have been the disallowed-Delve-screamer year. Got out without any trouble but wonder what would have happened if that one had stood! Happy 1970s days, eh!

Aug 30, 2016
Peverell
I was at that game too, in the upper tier of their very grand new stand. It was the highlight of season for the away support because, if I remember correctly, we didn't win a single match on the road that season and I was at all but two of them. :sigh:

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
One of my first Argyle matches, I noted in my scrapbook alongside the glued in press clippings how it was the Chelsea fans wanting the final whistle because we were so in charge. I lived in London then, I was 8 and we went on my old man's Vespa from Catford. We must've been in the home stand didn't have a clue about any trouble.

Mariner was (is to be fair) such a hero

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I attended that game having driven up from Cornwall and stayed with a naval mate stationed at Northwood. We drove as far as Park Royal and travelled onwards to Stamford Bridge by Underground. Stood on the steep terracing overlooking a corner, on the opposite end of the pitch to the famous Shed. We were certainly the best team in the second half and Mariner showed his true worth to Argyle by scoring 2 goals, his second to secure a draw I think it was. I seem to recall Hutchinson as a tall inside forward scoring for Chelsea in that game. Those were the days when footballers had their 'feet on the ground' with realistic lifestyles. When I worked in London in the early 70's, I can recall being on the Underground after an evening match to find myself standing alongside Johnny Hollins and another young Chelsea player, name now forgotten, who had played and were on their way home.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Teach me not to read the thread properly. :oops:

I thought it was the 2-2 game when they were 2-0 until the last couple of minutes, then bang bang, it was 2-2.

The Cockernees were a tad upset that day.