What a game! Brief synopsis | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

What a game! Brief synopsis

Aug 15, 2015
From an awful first half which reminded me of the same mistakes from the same players in the Charlton game to the second half where we were almost unplayable. Outstanding effort. Unfortunately first half was sluggish - the same signs were there at Charlton and on another day Southend would be 2 or 3 up. Sarcevic didn't track Leonard twice and both were extremely close to goals. Sawyer caught on his clearance for the goal.

Second half was a different game. Outstanding effort. Blissett grew into a player. Everyone was fighting and we wanted it more. Sarcevic improved. Carey and Jervis more influential. How we did not win it in the end I do not know - but that 2nd half show was magnificent. Proud of that effort.

Oh and Ryan Edwards - what a player. That game told me we have a gem. He was outstanding anf if he stays fit will go onto better things. 100%. Bradley also outstanding and unlucky with the goal.

Great, great effort from everyone to turn it around.

Edit: People lambasted me for saying the Charlton game was a flat performance and suggesting we were outstanding. I would love for one of those people to look me in the eye and say that again considering how much better we were today and how much more we wanted it.

Feb 2, 2007
Great to hear. Had no connection at Worms Head and definitely pleased pleased with a point against a very tough team. Well done Derek and the lads.

lipsonlad67

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 17, 2016
Deepest Lincolnshire
Shoenice":3ezn8rbo said:
From an awful first half which reminded me of the same mistakes from the same players in the Charlton game to the second half where we were almost unplayable. Outstanding effort. Unfortunately first half was sluggish - the same signs were there at Charlton and on another day Southend would be 2 or 3 up. Sarcevic didn't track Leonard twice and both were extremely close to goals. Sawyer caught on his clearance for the goal.

Second half was a different game. Outstanding effort. Blissett grew into a player. Everyone was fighting and we wanted it more. Sarcevic improved. Carey and Jervis more influential. How we did not win it in the end I do not know - but that 2nd half show was magnificent. Proud of that effort.

Oh and Ryan Edwards - what a player. That game told me we have a gem. He was outstanding anf if he stays fit will go onto better things. 100%. Bradley also outstanding and unlucky with the goal.

Great, great effort from everyone to turn it around.

Edit: People lambasted me for saying the Charlton game was a flat performance and suggesting we were outstanding. I would love for one of those people to look me in the eye and say that again considering how much better we were today and how much more we wanted it.

Very good reading, thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

Nov 18, 2011
It's the formation change at half time which changes things and got us back into the game.
We matched their 4-4-2 which gave Blissett some support and as I mentioned in the MOM thread Songo'o did really well to help us win the midfield battle.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Opppsiton views...

Got to be winning games like that. Very frustrating as first half was almost one way traffic only for our concentration to go after half time again. Poor defending and would have been a defeat if it weren't for Mark Oxley. Fortune was running on fumes yet PB took Cox off and that hugely limited us in attack. Should have won it but Plymouth made life difficult and on another day would certainly have won if Oxley hadn't been at

I we were very poor again... and the only reason we escaped with a draw, is because Plymouth were even worse. Had we have played Rotherham again today, I don't think the result would have been much different from last week.

A few observations having just got home. Kiernon needs to get fit asap and White needs to slot back into his right back position, Demetriou in my opinion is dire and needs dropping for his own good to try and get out the spotlight for a few weekends. Also Ranger needs to get back out there working alongside Cox as Fortune was blowing out of his ass after 50 mins and is not the answer this season. Strange substitution taking Cox off also and replacing with another non-threatening striker.
Midfield looked quite solid today and you could tell Kightly is a class above with his vision and ability to beat a man.
A point today was not deserved as i think on another day we could/should have taken 3 easy points, Plymouth were giants and played to their strengths its just a shame we kept pumping our own balls high into their box to also help them out defensively.

All in all im a little dissapointed to only get a point as you will need to beat these teams at home to have any chance of being up the sharp end come May

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Four points from our opening three games is a pretty decent return.

Derek Adams will be learning about his squad and learning about the league.

As long as we continue to work hard, I am sure we will be ok this season.

Another tough game next Saturday but looking forward to it!

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
I'll take being tough to beat and leaving opposition fans with a bitter taste in their mouth every week. Same as last week. Charlton said we were crap, but we won. Southend saying we were poorer than them but still took a point. Nobody will have an easy game against us home or away.

Oct 31, 2015
Love the comment "we have to beat these teams to be at the sharp end"

Who does he think he supports ?Manure?

Sep 28, 2003
London
Strange game today.

We were poor first half and couldn't have argued with being 2 or 3 down.

However, second half was a different story - we weren't oozing quality but we battled and worked and got back into it and were unlucky to not scrape a winner, although we still could have lost save for some Luke heroics.

What was really pleasing is how we kept going for a winner and never tried to just sit on a draw - we kept pushing forward for the win, it seems there's a real positivity about the team that maybe hasn't always been there.

Special shout to Songo'o too - I doubt many in the Argyle end were too pleased to see him on for the second half, but he did make a difference with his work rate and tackling.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
The stats on the game are interesting on the BBC Sport website. They read ;-

Corners Southend 16, Argyle 5

Shots Southend 16 Argyle 10

Possession Southend 57% Argyle 43%

I was not present, but these figures appear to be at odds with some of the reports, unless Argyle were very dire first half?

Aug 15, 2015
Quintrell_Green":5ul9t0fe said:

I was not present, but these figures appear to be at odds with some of the reports, unless Argyle were very dire first half?

For me it was the desire to win the game. I didn't see that same desire at Charlton and we wanted it more than Southend. As said by others, a bit more quality at the top end and we'd have won. Saying that we were also unlucky with a couple of top saves by their keeper. And yes, the first half was a shoddy nothing performance.

Oct 14, 2015
Ainsworth and Songo seemed to bring other players out a bit. Blissett improved second half as did Carey and Jervis. How their keeper kept Carey's shot out I'll never know. Top save. Really enjoyable game and the GA immense as usual.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
rsp4":31hkqwaq said:
Love the comment "we have to beat these teams to be at the sharp end"

Who does he think he supports ?Manure?

Yep, that stood out to me too.

Make no mistake, Argyle are a far bigger club than Southend.

Man alive, we were good in that second half. While Ainsworth didn't play particularly well - and badly gave the ball away twice for a Southend chance - I felt his pace scared them and opened up opportunities for Jervis and Blissett. Those two have pace and power to burn and SU were terrified.

Carey's delivery from the left again excellent, and he could have scored a brilliant long range effort that was tipped over superbly.

Surely there is no chance we'll be troubling the relegation zone this season.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Quintrell_Green":5ro8pmec said:

Southend had a hell of a lot of corners and Argyle WERE under par in the first 45, yes. But those stats don't mean anything in any game, really.

What if a side is being hammered 3-0 but has a big go to get back into the game in the last 10 minutes? They'll probably end up with more corners and shots than the winning team. Stats don't remotely paint the picture of a game.