Half time substitions | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Half time substitions

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
After two changes at the interval Saturday it seems to me we make more than an average number of these.

So did some research on last season in League 2 only and where the changes were tactically induced not as a result of injury. Here is the list.

Hartlepool (H) Jervis and Smith replaced Songo'o and Slew.. Losing 1-0, drew 1-1.

Barnet (H) Garita for Songo'o. 0-2 down. Result 0-2.

Crawley (H) Tanner for Miller. 0-0 h/t. Ended 2-0 win.

Barnet (a) Miller for Purrington 1 down, Result 0-1.

Cheltenham (A) Sokolik and Blissett replaced Slew and Jervis H/T one up, won 2-1.

Notts (H) Spencer for Tanner. 0-1 h/t. 0-1 f/t.

Blackpool (H) Tanner and Spencer for Kennedy and Jervis. 0-2 h/t Ended 0-3.

Crewe (h) Blissett for Jervis 0-1 h/t ended 2-1.

Grimsby (A) Blissett for Slew 0-1 down h/t, f/t 1-1.

Do half time substitions represent good or bad management? Is it brave and bold to change and try to influence the result of the game or is it poor team selection in the first place? The 16/17 results seem quite mixed. Interesting though that some names appear frequently in the interval changes list.

Aug 3, 2017
Making the substitutions go to show several positives and negatives.

On the pro's side: change in tactics during a game have often bore fruit. At the end of the day the final result matters, how pretty it was - for me - is secondary. They players coming on have time to affect the game and in some senses have a point to prove. E.G I should have started!

On the cons: statements like DA made saying 'if I knew the putch would be so bad...' what does that say of the scouting.

Overall though I see making half time substitutions as a major show of faith in the depth of our squad, the different qualities each player brings and humility from the management to go, I need to change things because I want to win. Kudos to DA and the players, who don't publicly moan. They know it's about the team and that's great!

It's a stark contrast to where we were under, say, Sherridan where we were screaming for a substitution but his belligerence and to a degree lack of flexibility on the bench stopped him.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
If it's obvious to the manager at half time subs are needed I'd have thought it would be obvious earlier in the first half they are as well, so a brave thing would be to do it before half time! However, to counter that I guess the HT subs also often signal a change in tactics as well so perhaps the half time is needed to sort out the changes with the team rather than trying to change things around from the touchline.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that better players (i.e. prem standard) are better able to adapt to different formations and tactics so perhaps further down the league it take the 15 minutes of half time to make sure everyone knows what they need to do to adapt.

But overall I'd see the willingness and ability to make half time changes as a positive rather than a negative.

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
Bermudian Green":1pcz419u said:
I noticed this during the Charlton game.It's as if DA was waiting to see what the opposition would do, and then figure out how to beat their plan 2nd half. That made me wonder if we still have scouting reports on upcoming opponents.

The thing with scouting reports are that teams are set up to counteract the opposition teams game plan , so you could watch a team 4 or 5 & they would play differently in all 4 games, yes you would know who to watch/mark etc, but they will also have done their homework about us so will also try to nullify our strengths.
Fortunately for us we have a relatively new team so opposition managers are not quite familiar with our systems so haven't worked out how to play against them yet. Give it a couple more games & they will know how to counter some of these areas therefore making half time subs will also give the opposition managers the option of making subs to counteract our game.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Started this thread a couple of weeks back but it didn't draw much interest.

Once again at Walsall today we have made 2 tactically inspired changes by the start of the second half. As BG said above, this latest occurrence again saw us seemingly set up wrong and revising our formation.

Why is this happening? Are opponents varying their tactics or are we weak in the area of scouting of teams? Maybe other teams make an equal number of h/t changes as we do but it doesnt feel like it.

Mar 23, 2008
I do think a huge flaw in Adams managerial style is that he is a very passive and reactive starter of games. Sometimes, especially at home and playing a team struggling for form, you just need to get at that and get in their faces. I do wish he was more proactive.