Home Park Grandstand , Western Gate & HHP appln submitted | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park Grandstand , Western Gate & HHP appln submitted

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Graham,

Can the hyrbrid application be split, e.g can they give permission to the grandstand and associated developments and refuse the Western Gate outline application?

The hotel looks pretty substantial (search photos in the 100 documents which gives some decent visuals). I would guess this is what residents and friends of central park will be most apposed to.

Feb 2, 2007
Is there a brand associated with the hotel yet? I've used the Holiday Inn Express a few times at Oxford over the years and envision it to be similar to this, with the naughty overlord Firoz Kassam involved of course!

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Just scanned through the plans. looks good. Fingers crossed it goes through ok. Admittely looks even better with phase 2. Hopefylly its not another 10 years before we get this element. Capacity figures listed below:

Devonport = 2832
Lyndhurst = 7072
Barnpark = 2907
Grandstand = 7214
Phase 2 = 2164

Total Phase 1 = 17861
Total Phase 2 = 20025

Hadn't realised the members bar was two storey. Looks substantial!

Mar 29, 2017
Graham Clark":1zxxu01r said:
Stuart House":1zxxu01r said:
Graham,

Can the hyrbrid application be split, e.g can they give permission to the grandstand and associated developments and refuse the Western Gate outline application?

The hotel looks pretty substantial (search photos in the 100 documents which gives some decent visuals). I would guess this is what residents and friends of central park will be most apposed to.

Hybrid planning applications are quite rare and I am not aware of any such application determined by a Local Planning Authority where part has been approved and part refused, although there is a precedent for the Secretary of State doing exactly that on appeal.

Should there be opposition to part of the application such that the Council are minded not to support that element of the scheme then that element can either be withdrawn from the overall proposal or the Council can impose conditions for further detail to be submitted to overcome that specific issue.

Clearly the Grandstand element could have been submitted as a separate application but having looked through the documentation there have been evident cost savings to the Club in submitting combined documentation. A separate Grandstand application would have the same determination time period of 13 weeks as the overall scheme.

Where delays may occur is the discharge of what are called pre-commencement conditions, after planning permission has been granted - i.e. conditions that require certain details to be approved before the development can commence and any element of the approved scheme can be started. The Club would not want commencement on work on the Grandstand to be held up by, say a requirement to submit further detail on highways, drainage or the Ice Rink. I know James Brent is very aware of the need to avoid such delays. Case law has determined that a planning permission is not valid or legal if pre-commencement conditions have not been fully discharged.

The cost of delays should be of concern to supporters. The Club are already committed to paying back around £250,000 per year (for 30 years) on the Halletts' £4.1m loan (£130,000 capital and interest at around 2.7%) that is funding most of the Grandstand . In addition, the construction world is facing some recent rampant material cost inflation that threatens viability and the ability to deliver (as demonstrated by the delays and reconfiguration of the Bretonside scheme). Each month's delay will eat into what £6m can eventually deliver which could impact on the quality and extent of facilities in the Grandstand if cost savings have to be made. Hence, the importance of making a timely commencement with the funds in place.

Thank you for this fantastic insight. :thumbup:

Aug 5, 2015
I should have thought that the cost of any delays would be of more concern to those stumping up the cash for the grandstand refurbishment.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The other good news about the 'joint application' is the saving to PAFC on the admin related to the 107 documents and all the behind the scenes stuff. Borne by Akkeron not Argyle.

That's got to be good hasn't it? I would have thought the costs of that is North of £50k.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Well I spent all morning at work going through all those 3D images, renders and elevations seeing if I could spot anything new :oops:

There are some new images of the Phase 1 stand without the roof, I have to say those tiers look damn impressive all-seated.

EDIT... That's the bottom image on STAGE 1 3D VIEWS GRANDSTAND, the stand looks huge there.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Glad this is going forward, but still do not like the plans of the ice hockey rink, the rink looks jammed into the east corner, I would have reversed the locations of the rink and the 3 units. The rink would be at the entrance to Home Park, by doing this you don't have to open up all of Home Park, the 3 units and the gym would move down closer to where the players changing area is.
I'm sure it is in there somewhere but I don't see anything about the number of seats in the rink. I don't see anything about the rink being able to be used for other purposes, ie basketball, trade shows, conventions, concerts etc.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
IJN":1ozyxeji said:
The other good news about the 'joint application' is the saving to PAFC on the admin related to the 107 documents and all the behind the scenes stuff. Borne by Akkeron not Argyle.

That's got to be good hasn't it? I would have thought the costs of that is North of £50k.

The whole application did look very comprehensive.

After the liverpool game, I'm just impatient to not have to look at that horrible empty terrace any move. Having four sides of the ground will drastically improve the atmosphere.

Can't come soon enough.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Ottawa Green":2vgey82n said:
Glad this is going forward, but still do not like the plans of the ice hockey rink, the rink looks jammed into the east corner, I would have reversed the locations of the rink and the 3 units. The rink would be at the entrance to Home Park, by doing this you don't have to open up all of Home Park, the 3 units and the gym would move down closer to where the players changing area is.
I'm sure it is in there somewhere but I don't see anything about the number of seats in the rink. I don't see anything about the rink being able to be used for other purposes, ie basketball, trade shows, conventions, concerts etc.

If you reverse the order and stick the 3 units in the corner you drastically reduce their prominence, visability and ultimately rental value.

The commercial units need to be in the best possible position to make the most money. 50% of its ours right?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Biggs":1hjoa5so said:
Well I spent all morning at work going through all those 3D images, renders and elevations seeing if I could spot anything new :oops:

There are some new images of the Phase 1 stand without the roof, I have to say those tiers look damn impressive all-seated.

EDIT... That's the bottom image on STAGE 1 3D VIEWS GRANDSTAND, the stand looks huge there.

Those images of the refurbished grandstand are impressive and look good value for the money we have available, it's also good to see the planning application submitted for stage 2 of the refurbishment which signals an intent to get it done soon after stage 1, subject to funding.
The whole project is a good deal for Argyle fans and the people of Plymouth.