Bury - reasons to be cheerful | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Bury - reasons to be cheerful

Jan 11, 2016
In season 1995-96 - which ended with victory at Wembley - Argyle began with 6 straight defeats - 4 in the League and 2 in the League Cup - goals for 3, goals against 11. Two of the goals were scored by defender Mick Heathcote. Micky Evans got his first start in match 7 which was Bury away - he scored twice, Argyle won 5-0 and went on a nine game unbeaten run and only lost one of the next 17 games. This was in sharp contrast to my first away game in August 1966 at Bury which was a dismal 0-1. This was the first game of the post World Cup season and everyone was really up for the start of the season. We were visiting family in the north west and the choice of handy games was Man Utd v. West Brom or Bury V. Argyle. It was a no brainer! So if Trigger is available give him a ten minute run - it can't get much worse!

Jun 27, 2017
I was at that 5-0. Fantastic. . Rock bottom of the football league to promotion that season. Seem to remember Chris Billy was had a terriific game. What a day

Jan 25, 2012
Good perspective. I can still see Paul Williams burning down the length of the wing before getting tackled, completing a full forward roll and then getting up and carrying on. The things you remember.

Aug 10, 2006
FattyBolger":2rkmeb9j said:
I was at that 5-0. Fantastic. . Rock bottom of the football league to promotion that season. Seem to remember Chris Billy was had a terriific game. What a day
so was I went on the argyle supporters coach got to the ground at 5 to 3 great display, on the way home the coach driver took the wrong turning and we ended up a few miles outside blackpool.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
We took our time winning there! We made our first visit during the early part of the First World War (in the FA Cup) and did not win at Gigg Lane until 1962-63, our 21st visit. Strangely enough that was an isolated win in a run of just 4 victories in our final 18 games. Remarkably this is only our fifth visit there since that 5-0 win under Neil Warnock. From the 14 players used during our last visit, which was a week or two over three years ago, only Luke remains on the Home Park payroll.

Tom Cobbley

Jam First
Aug 7, 2011
Oldham
Pogleswoody":2930e72q said:
Emu":2930e72q said:
GreenArmy1984":2930e72q said:
Yes remember us winning 5-0 At Bury

Littlejohn & Evans Upfront !

Two up front? Whatever next!!! :lol:

Some games already this season we could have had Little John and Robin Hood upfront and we still wouldn't have hit the target!! :facepalm:

Surely someone will Tuck one away, Will Scarlet.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Tom Cobbley":38ddy7sx said:
Pogleswoody":38ddy7sx said:
Emu":38ddy7sx said:
GreenArmy1984":38ddy7sx said:
Yes remember us winning 5-0 At Bury

Littlejohn & Evans Upfront !

Two up front? Whatever next!!! :lol:

Some games already this season we could have had Little John and Robin Hood upfront and we still wouldn't have hit the target!! :facepalm:

Surely someone will Tuck one away, Will Scarlet.

I am actually missing the Doncaster game cos I've got to go and see a maid marrying!! :sad:

1974-75 the same. Waiters team had lost 6 away on the trot though had won all 7 at home.
My first ever away league game. On an overnight wallace arnold coach. The first of
many memorable adventures that season.
Brian johnson with the goal and a 1-0 win after they battered us all game.
It was the turning point for the season and we went on to win promotion.
So maybe we do have a bit of a record of turning things around at bury.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
memory man":38210vz2 said:
We took our time winning there! We made our first visit during the early part of the First World War (in the FA Cup) and did not win at Gigg Lane until 1962-63, our 21st visit. Strangely enough that was an isolated win in a run of just 4 victories in our final 18 games. Remarkably this is only our fifth visit there since that 5-0 win under Neil Warnock. From the 14 players used during our last visit, which was a week or two over three years ago, only Luke remains on the Home Park payroll.

Plus Wotton and the tea ladies.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The 0-4 defeat we witnessed a few seasons ago when we flirted with the play off places, was one of the worst displays I've seen in the last 7 seasons. Nobody seemed to try.

From memory that Nardiello scored against us!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
metroace":bkvbgnfu said:
memory man":bkvbgnfu said:

Plus Wotton and the tea ladies.
Good spot - I should have written playing staff instead of payroll!