Saturdays Ref | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Saturdays Ref

Oct 14, 2015
Anthony Backhouse has shown 17 yellow cards and sent-off three players in six games of his first season as an EFL referee....50% strike rate for red cards..seems awfully high...

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Anyone would think that the issuing of cards is the referee's fault. All the players need to do is avoid descent, unsporting behaviour, persistently infringing the laws of the game, violent conduct, serious foul play and the use of foul and abusive language.... and the cards wont come out

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
I do love being patronised, thank you LC but shouldn`t you be on the Palace forum sorting their problems for them instead of wasting you time with little old Argyle, just a thought. Taxi for LC :twisted:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
justanotherfan":1y609npc said:
I do love being patronised, thank you LC but shouldn`t you be on the Palace forum sorting their problems for them instead of wasting you time with little old Argyle, just a thought. Taxi for LC :twisted:

What have Palace got to do with this subject? I'm here wearing my referee's hat.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Lundan Cabbie":18xxpl1z said:
justanotherfan":18xxpl1z said:

What have Palace got to do with this subject? I'm here wearing my referee's hat.

Thank you, Mr Singh?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Lundan Cabbie":pvrmq7su said:
justanotherfan":pvrmq7su said:

Is it like a lot of referee's hats? So big that it falls over their eyes?? :whistle:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":3o1acb2l said:
Lundan Cabbie":3o1acb2l said:
justanotherfan":3o1acb2l said:

Is it like a lot of referee's hats? So big that it falls over their eyes?? :whistle:

:funny:

Sep 25, 2010
Also wearing my referees hat, LC is absolutely right. The refs sole purpose is to apply the laws of the game.

Why do the media, especially certain red tops, seem to want to print the number of cards they produce.

It gives the impression, that if a ref issues a high amount of cards, he must be a bad ref. Absolute tosh.

The ref does NOT make a bad tackle, headbut a player, commits two bad fouls, shows dissent, but has to deal with, players who do .

Refs prefer NOT to issue any cards at all, and just want to actually referee a game.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Problem is Martyn some of them apply it wrongly.

I am totally convinced that a high percentage of refs have never, ever kicked a ball in anger.

I'll pinch a phrase of years ago, poor referees are like 'Maltese Traffic Wardens'.

Sep 25, 2010
IJN":2g2s3zp5 said:
Problem is Martyn some of them apply it wrongly.

I am totally convinced that a high percentage of refs have never, ever kicked a ball in anger.

I'll pinch a phrase of years ago, poor referees are like 'Maltese Traffic Wardens'.

It is not a problem, as they get a high percentage of decisions and the issue of cards absolutely right.

Yes, they get some wrong, this is where the appeal system kicks in. But this is what makes the world of football go around. Blimey, look at the number of mistakes players makes

But they get the the majority right, you will be surprised at the number of refs, who have played a good level of football.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The worst I've ever seen by a country mile was Gurnam Singh. He was sacked by the FA many years ago but no one comes near that plank.

However, I can remember seeing a referee who was an ex pro footballer (can't remember his name now) and he was pretty damn bad as well.

I know there are good ones, but this protection of really poor refs by this in power, does the decent refs now good at all.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
I think we all understand the job isn't easy (i think Cobi thought Carey's tackle was the worst he'd seen and when he saw the replay lambasted the ref for his awful decision the other night) - mistakes will be made.

My referee grievance is the ones who actually think people have paid their money to watch them - old Phil Dowd was the case in point, if he could he'd have got rid of the referee's uniform and used self adhesive to put peacock feathers all over his body, he would of - he could ruin a game quicker than anyone. The best referee's almost always tend to be the ones you dont notice, they understand game management, talk to the players as the game is going on, without stopping it every couple of minutes to make sure they are being seen.

For years i've wanted someone to take the bull by the horns and sort football out, surely top referees know they are being conned - yet the laws of the game mean they have to stop the game for injured players, which ever team is losing frustration grows on and off the pitch and eventually trouble flares. I'd love the referee's association to write to the FA with demands that rules are changed. If someone claims a bang to the head, they have to have a 5 minute head injury assessment as per rugby, it would certainly stop the turgid laying on the floor we see week in and out (unless of course the referees are the only people who believe every injury is real) the authorities rarely listen to fans, but to the referees they just might, there are so many area's they could improve which would benefit the whole game.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
If they were to introduce such a rule, players would be encouraged to not show that they might have such an injury to avoid having to go off for a period of time. It might help continuity but it certainly is not the best when it comes to the safety of players which must come first. I think we need to have a rule change that allows for a temporary sub to come on for such a situation but even then, teams would milk that process at the expense of time on the clock. Those trying to change the pace of a game will always find a way.