Paralells with Luggy | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Paralells with Luggy

Mar 23, 2008
Adams and Luggy have more than their nationality in common in terms of their time in charge and sure we hope the next chapter follows suit. Both got promotion from.the basement division and in a similar style with the emphasis on team shape, a strong team ethic, goal scoring defenders and a little bit of stardust in Friio/Carey. Both also successfully turned central defenders in Steve Adams/Songo and both have players with an affinity to the club such as Trigger/Wottsy and Luke/McCormick. The reason I mention this is that Luggys team also had a season treading water in league 1 and looks like that's what this season is about, shaping a squad ready to push on next year and perhaps complete the comparison?

Dec 2, 2010
See where you're coming from....but the treading water was finishing 8th! And after 8 games we had 14 points.

We also had Lowndes, Stonebridge, Evans and Keith. Take any of those up front now!

Dec 19, 2009
Stretching things here I think. In terms of entertainment value, which is presumably why we really turn up every week, there's absolutely no comparison between the two, Sturrock's teams won their Championships in style and there was never a doubt they were a superior side to the rest in the division. His teams first time round were the last time I actually looked forward to going to watch Argyle.
Adams' teams however are just plain ordinary and have limped over the line, rarley looking at all convincing. It still baffles me how they've won so many games when playing such dreadfully average football.

Mar 23, 2008
I think there is a bit of green tinted glasses, many refer to the Chesterfield 7-0 game or the Tranmere 6-1 game but before that there were many scrappy games and victories by the odd goal. To qualify things I would say Luggys team was better than this but in there are many parallels and think after a few changes we will kick on next year if we can get into mid-table this season.

Dec 19, 2009
I don't doubt parallels can be drawn but that's it, just the odd small similarities. I don't see this current team pulling up trees and storming up the league (happy to be proved wrong of course).
I take your point about the rare outstanding results maybe clouding the issue but my point is that during the first Sturrock reign I went to games expecting us to win, I've never done that with an Adams team and don't see it changing, so no comparison at all in terms of the actual football played.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
keyser soze":20gab92z said:
Stretching things here I think. In terms of entertainment value, which is presumably why we really turn up every week, there's absolutely no comparison between the two, Sturrock's teams won their Championships in style and there was never a doubt they were a superior side to the rest in the division. His teams first time round were the last time I actually looked forward to going to watch Argyle.
Adams' teams however are just plain ordinary and have limped over the line, rarley looking at all convincing. It still baffles me how they've won so many games when playing such dreadfully average football.

Sorry, but can't agree. Even Luggy called many of the wins "blood and snotters". I saw many games where we had backs to the wall and won, a typical classic was Southend away on a Tuesday night when Trigger was defending from the front almost all of the game.

To me the main difference between the two eras (Luggy's first reign, definitely not his second) was, or is the team spirit. Luggy's team worked way harder for each other and the team ethic, not the style won the day.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Luggys teams had more flair Only McCormick and Carey would get into Luggys teams and at that i think Carey may have been a Sub

No comparison we are dire, this teams resembles Pulis team more than Sturrocks

Dec 19, 2009
Dreamgreen":ra8850a3 said:
keyser soze":ra8850a3 said:

Sorry, but can't agree. Even Luggy called many of the wins "blood and snotters". I saw many games where we had backs to the wall and won, a typical classic was Southend away on a Tuesday night when Trigger was defending from the front almost all of the game.

To me the main difference between the two eras (Luggy's first reign, definitely not his second) was, or is the team spirit. Luggy's team worked way harder for each other and the team ethic, not the style won the day.

Indeed not every game was a romp of course, but surely you can't deny there was a lot of entertainment and we 100% deserved to win those titles. On the whole however games under Adams have been lacklustre affairs. I was excited when we won our two championships, but Wembley and then promotion last season sparked nothing much at all because the nature of our success was, well, dull to be honest.