Reasons to be optimistic | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Reasons to be optimistic

Sep 17, 2017
I'm not sure that we have had the chance to see our best 11 on the field yet. Time is ticking away and we do need to start putting some wins on the board. Injuries, loss of form and enforced absentees have robbed us of seeing the true Argyle thus far but I am cautiously optimistic.

Of coarse the best 11 is subjective we will all have our preferences but my optimism is based on seeing glimpses of the old Bradley on Sat, Ness to me looks a real player, strong in the tackle, decent shot, good in the air & variety of passing etc, Ainsworth don't quite know yet but he has electrifying pace and unlike Mr Wylde an end product. Grant is trying and has undoubted ability which we have seen ( the Ball did bobble it wasn't as bad a miss as some make out ). Sarcevic is starting to look like a league player who could boss a midfield, Blissett is learning fast, his hold up play is improving, he's putting himself about and he's quick. Edwards Is solid and reliable I'm just a bit concerned that he and Bradley don't compliment each other as well as Sonny did with Songo on Sat who was very tidy. Probably missed someone but mix that with the capabilities of those we know your, Luke's , a fully firing Carey, Oscar, Taylor, Foxy , Sawyer and that team can compete with most in this division.

Would also like like us to 'keep the ball' and play a little, yes go long when we need to and mix and match but it's just a little too direct and too easy to defend.

Can't afford the luxury of throwing away too many more points especially at home, early days but points gaps will soon start appearing. So stating on Sat eh !!!

COYG

Lev Yashin

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Aug 1, 2017
Canada
Nice summary of the season so far.
The next game is always the most important one.
Nothing short of three points is needed so let's hope the team come out focussed and deliver.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
1. It’s still only mid September FFS!!
2. We’ve played 4 of the top seven teams so far ….….. there are easier fixtures to come.
3. We’ve had considerably more bad luck than good so far ….……. but that will even itself out over the season.
4. We’ve had the ‘freaky’ occurrence of 3 consecutive home red cards from players without bad disciplinary records – that won’t continue (poo happens sometimes – get over it).
5. Morale seems good – evidence the excellent effort by ten men against MKD (unlucky not to get at least a point IMO) and a ‘gritty’ away point at Bury on the back of four straight defeats.
6. We have Carey, Edwards, Oscar and Taylor to return – four normal starters.
7. We only have to be better than four teams – personally I’ve little doubt we are/will be.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Ave_IT":1toxnpsv said:
2. We’ve played 4 of the top seven teams so far ….….. there are easier fixtures to come.
Obviously this diminishes over time, but I always think this is a weird thing to say at this stage of the season. They're in the top seven partly because they took 3 points off us. If we'd beaten them, they would probably be mid-table!

Ave_IT":3bfdl7if said:
1. It’s still only mid September FFS!!
3. We’ve had considerably more bad luck than good so far ….……. but that will even itself out over the season.
4. We’ve had the ‘freaky’ occurrence of 3 consecutive home red cards from players without bad disciplinary records – that won’t continue (poo happens sometimes – get over it).
5. Morale seems good – evidence the excellent effort by ten men against MKD (unlucky not to get at least a point IMO) and a ‘gritty’ away point at Bury on the back of four straight defeats.
6. We have Carey, Edwards, Oscar and Taylor to return – four normal starters.
7. We only have to be better than four teams – personally I’ve little doubt we are/will be.
Spot on.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I'd suggest sanity is in the majority on here, it's just that (as in all walks of life) dissenters usually shout the loudest.

Jul 29, 2010
Well sorry but sanity has been conspicuously silent if it's a majority Frank. But yes, the shouty have been shoutier than Shouty McShoutyface :sad:

Normally i'd be at the vanguard of reason, defending sanity from the hoards of knee jerking surrender monkeys.

But combine the custard coloured defeatists with the wave of pathetic 'little plymouther' politics around the grandstand issues and the site turns me off massively at the moment. It's not that I lack the conkers for the fight. Afterall i'm right, we're not as bad as the "great and the good' say we are.

It's just that every time i've logged on recently the site is drowning in moaning minnies and Grandstand grandstanders, it bores the absolute ar5e off me.

Why waste my time trying to convince the seemingly unconvincible that we're not up a certain creek without a paddle and James Brent is not Satan incarnate.

So good luck with this thread guys but with just eight posts in 24 hours, 24 hours that has seen the 'politics of plymouth' thread expand well into the 20 pages bracket, very few are whistling the tune of sanity and reason.

Far from there being a sane majority Frank, most eyes are hopelessly navel gazing, miserably introverted by off field distractions, petty politics and myopic doom mongering.

THAT isthe order of the moment, a moment that has gone on for 2-3 weeks now :yawn:

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
X Isle":1fgz94b1 said:
Well sorry but sanity has been conspicuously silent if it's a majority Frank. But yes, the shouty have been shoutier than Shouty McShoutyface :sad:

Normally i'd be at the vanguard of reason, defending sanity from the hoards of knee jerking surrender monkeys.

But combine the custard coloured defeatists with the wave of pathetic 'little plymouther' politics around the grandstand issues and the site turns me off massively at the moment. It's not that I lack the conkers for the fight. Afterall i'm right, we're not as bad as the "great and the good' say we are.

It's just that every time i've logged on recently the site is drowning in moaning minnies and Grandstand grandstanders, it bores the absolute ar5e off me.

Why waste my time trying to convince the seemingly unconvincible that we're not up a certain creek without a paddle and James Brent is not Satan incarnate.

So good luck with this thread guys but with just eight posts in 24 hours, 24 hours that has seen the 'politics of plymouth' thread expand well into the 20 pages bracket, very few are whistling the tune of sanity and reason.

Far from there being a sane majority Frank, most eyes are hopelessly navel gazing, miserably introverted by off field distractions, petty politics and myopic doom mongering.

THAT is the order of the moment, a moment that has gone on for 2-3 weeks now :yawn:

In fairness X'y the Grandstand thread may bore the t1ts off you, but its obviously important to a lot of posters. I don't see the navel gazing blah blah blah that you call it, i see a pretty good discussion going on from both sides.

You've been around long enough to know that the off field threads involving investors/chairmen/directors etc get the juices flowing and have always generated robust discussions on here. Farmergyles/Sainsbury/Mclondon threads went on forever!

I do enjoy reading your lectures though. :lol:

For some i guess its hard to be optimistic at the moment what with the current league pos. On top of that argyle fans
traditionally not used to any sustained succes, so never going to be of the optimistic type. Then there is the good
old janner moaning mentality to consider too. So argyle fans and optimism will always make strange bedfellows i would say.
Still. Speaking with my old codger argyle head on here. Its way to early for lip quivering or knee jerking just yet.
Football is too unpredictable to be predictable. If that makes any sense?
There is always the next game to be optimistic about.
Thats the way i try to look at it these days. One game at a time.
And i find its far better for my health to be optimistic and cheery before a game and later peed off after losing.
Than being all gloomy and pessimistic beforehand and then peed off with it all after as well. Not ealthy it aint.
Although obviously being optimistic and then being deliriously happy after is the NHS natural healthiest solution.
So its argyle to win 3-0 saturday and super optimism abounds tonight here in downtown honicknowle.
Mind you DA must play 3 centre mids to prevent us from coming a cropper again .....aaagh bollox pessimism again.
Must be the blasted janner in me. Doh! :doh:

Sep 6, 2006
Fat_green_belly":3sa06xoj said:
For some i guess its hard to be optimistic at the moment what with the current league pos. On top of that argyle fans
traditionally not used to any sustained succes, so never going to be of the optimistic type. Then there is the good
old janner moaning mentality to consider too. So argyle fans and optimism will always make strange bedfellows i would say.
Still. Speaking with my old codger argyle head on here. Its way to early for lip quivering or knee jerking just yet.
Football is too unpredictable to be predictable. If that makes any sense?
There is always the next game to be optimistic about.
Thats the way i try to look at it these days. One game at a time.
And i find its far better for my health to be optimistic and cheery before a game and later peed off after losing.
Than being all gloomy and pessimistic beforehand and then peed off with it all after as well. Not ealthy it aint.
Although obviously being optimistic and then being deliriously happy after is the NHS natural healthiest solution.
So its argyle to win 3-0 saturday and super optimism abounds tonight here in downtown honicknowle.
Mind you DA must play 3 centre mids to prevent us from coming a cropper again .....aaagh bollox pessimism again.
Must be the blasted janner in me. Doh! :doh:

As a committed pessimist I completely disagree with all that. Surely its better for your health to expect the worst then not get too disappointed when it often happens(and pleasantly surprised when it doesn't). Works for me with Argyle. I have now mentally started preparing myself for relegation (whether that is realistic or not).