Can we get to the Championsip? (merged) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Can we get to the Championsip? (merged)

Apr 9, 2011
Wonder what our chances are of a realistic return to the Championship in the foreseeable future? given the financial constraints we are operating under. The gulf financially wise Between Championship & Lge1 is so much larger than when we were last there owing to the huge increase in the totally unfair "parachute" payments giving relegated clubs a massive advantage for a quick return to the "promised land"

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I can see us squeaking into the Championship one day, but by God, the gulf when you get there is massive.

I can't stress enough, when you witness the inner machinations and infrastructure of Bristol City like I did, you KNOW that these clubs are on a different planet to us.

Apr 9, 2011
Apologies this was on another thread by mistake. Just wondered what are the thoughts of a return to the Championship in the foreseeable future given the financial constraints we are operating under? given the massive financial gulf that now exists between Lge1 & Championship fuelled by the obscene parachute payments, which has become so much larger than when we were last there

Oct 24, 2010
The most worrying stat I came upon recently is that the playing budget of 15 of the 22 Championship clubs exceeds their turnover.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The fact that you can name them sort of endorses my point BG.

I'll raise you Derby, Notts Forest, Aston Villa and Middlesborough.

It's certainly possible but I know you get my drift.

Aug 3, 2017
esmer":2p3v1zhb said:
The most worrying stat I came upon recently is that the playing budget of 15 of the 22 Championship clubs exceeds their turnover.

That is scary. But all the more reason fpr Argyle in increase revenue streams to have a stable budget. Otherwise they will never be able sustain Championship football.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
phil-thefluter24":27lqmfl7 said:
Wonder what our chances are of a realistic return to the Championship in the foreseeable future? given the financial constraints we are operating under. The gulf financially wise Between Championship & Lge1 is so much larger than when we were last there owing to the huge increase in the totally unfair "parachute" payments giving relegated clubs a massive advantage for a quick return to the "promised land"

Relegated clubs come with massive overheads that teams coming up from League One don't have. Premier League clubs are very wise to have an insurance policy against dropping down to the SBC.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
IJN":2r1a1vdz said:
The fact that you can name them sort of endorses my point BG.

I'll raise you Derby, Notts Forest, Aston Villa and Middlesborough.

It's certainly possible but I know you get my drift.

I look at them as bloated, unstable and mismanaged (maybe not Boro, but certainly the first three), with overly high expectations from fans.

Bournemouth and Huddersfield in particular have shown that the sky is the limit for lean, mean and well-run clubs with a clear philosophy on and off the pitch.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Army green":15tzalzl said:
Sky bet championship? yeah I've not heard being called SBC either.

Oh dear!

You going to #ARGDON then LC? :facepalm:

Mar 23, 2008
I still think/hope we are on a journey, an upward trajectory and at a point where fans of Bournemouth, Swansea, BHA and Huddersfield fans all asked the same question. You have to dare to dream.