Brief Synopsis!!! (Doncaster)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) With two strikers on the pitch everyone assumed we would be playing two up front. No sign of Jervis, and Letheren got a place on the bench. As it was, we started with Ciftci wide on the left and Lameiras on the right with Fletcher through the middle. Argyle started brightly and Ciftci showed a lot more in his deeper role.

2) Argyle created a couple of chances but then failed to get the ball into a shooting position. It was the same old story of this season though. A Doncaster player appeared to be off-side and they forced a corner which we didn't defend very well before McCormick appeared to be fouled and Doncaster opened from the melee.

3) Referee had a fussy first 45 booking 4 players, 3 Argyle players for fouls (Miller for holding the only genuine one) and Doncaster for inciting the crowd. Sarcevic hit the goal support from distance and we had a couple of weak shots off target but we lost impetus after the goal and Fletcher didn't see much of the ball.

4) Songo'o had a poor first half. The rest of the team each had "moments" of quality and also bits of dire play. Miller and Ciftci alternately brilliant and awful. Lameiras played the Carey role perfectly - overplayed it quite a bit and gave the ball away and lot whilst still looking like the only player who would produce some sort of spark.

5) Another half-time wondering what formation change we would try for the second half. Fox spent the break warming up properly. Sure enough Fox replaced Songo'o at half-time. Now Argyle had 2 up front with a diamond midfield, Fox at the base and Lameiras on the point. Ness left and Sarcevic right.

6) The game didn't improve from an Argyle perspective. We couldn't get the game going although we had more possession. Doncaster win their second corner of the game and scored their second from it. Yet another situation wasn't dealt with. Argyle were looking flat and the two strikers neither quick enough or different enough to cause problems.

7) With no ideas on the pitch, Adams brought Wylde and Ainsworth for Ness (bizarrely) and Miller. 3-5-2 now with the surprise being that Ciftci and Fletcher would play the full 90. The game was crying out for a presence up front. Doncaster won their third corner and scored but it was disallowed.

8 ) The defence was now wide open. Doncaster added a 3rd with the defence in tatters. We couldn't even claim it was because we were pushing forwards. We won our first corner in the 69th minute and promptly had Bradley sent off. I have no idea why.

9) Awful game from an Argyle perspective with no confidence as soon as we conceded the first. The changes made little difference as there was no height for the crosses to find. Sometimes you can blame the players but this one was almost entirely down to Adams. Because of the sending off we ended up with Wylde and Ainsworth as full backs but the damage was done before that. The system has to change.

Luke McCormick - 6
Gary Miller - 6
Ryan Edwards - 7
Sonny Bradley - 3
Gary Sawyer - 5
Yann Songo'o - 4
Jamie Ness - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Ruben Lameiras - 7
Alex Fletcher - 6
Nadir Ciftci - 5

Kyle Letheren - unused
Jakub Sokolik - unused
David Fox - 6
Lionel Ainsworth - 5
Gregg Wylde - 5
Joel Grant - unused
Nathan Bissett - unused

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I wasn't there today, as I am working abroad, but watched the game on iFollow.

We were dire. We have no heart at the moment.

We are the worst side I have seen this season by some distance.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
It's the indiscipline that is really scaring me.

I'm still open mouthed that we had ANOTHER dismissal.

Surreal stuff.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
That was dreadful. Can't think of any positives at all, we were poor from one to eleven, the players seem confused and bereft of confidence, even Luke was shaky, his handling error leading to the second goal. We didn't trouble their keeper all afternoon and our ball retention going forward was abysmal.

I'm really struggling to see a way forward at the moment we have zero physical presence up top and at the back we look ponderous and lacking any composure when under pressure. If anything we were even worse following the substitutions and for Sonny to cop a straight red and a three match ban for punching the bloke in front of the referee is crazy and indefensible.

Hopefully Derek will be able to sort this out but at the moment I'm starting to have my doubts.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
To be honest, I don't always agree with your synopsis posts, but I commend you on even having the motivation to bother posting one after that shower of poo that you just watched. Thank you.

Nov 4, 2012
Abysmal. I still maintain we have a decent starting to be 11 but some of the players on the pitch today are non-league standard. Worst performance under Adams.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
Lack of discipline is lamentable. I think Adams managerial limitations have been laid bare. Players brought in not good enough, tactics confused. Argyle will go down if nothing is done to change this.

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
A Scandalous and totally unacceptable display.

In over 30 years of watching us I'm struggling to remember another performance as limp, uninterested, half arsed, toothless, undisciplined as that debacle.

Yet again Adams has to change things at halftime as he's picked the wrong team. We got away with Songo'o in midfield last year but this year its utterly pointless. For all he brings physically he's absolutely woeful on the ball
Add to that the worst performance from a front 3 I've ever seen and is it any wonder we've been drubbed at home again. I'll excuse Fletcher who's been thrown into a terrible team and isn't getting any help from the more experienced pros around him.

Cifti. Go home!!!! Just go now
hes probably pocketing more in a couple of months than I earn in a year but is the worst loanee I've ever seen( up there with Beglin) Half interested with a heart the size of a pea. We might as well start with 10 with Him playing. If he's our only option then we'll be down by February.

Even Luke had a nightmare gifting goals with basic fumbles.
Through in to the mix yet another sending off for an off ball incident when the ball was in their box and it adds up the one of the worst games I've ever seen.

And Dereck Adams. Your obsession with this system with one up front at home DOESNT WORK!!!
We're predictable, pedestrian, with no spark or creativity and just go from side to side without ever threatening and we lose in exactly the same way every bloody week.
CHANGE IT!!!
Just switching forwards and wingers into the same system in your scatter gun way ISNT WORKING.
Someone with some cloat at Argyle needs to put a rocket up or a size 10 up his arse but then again their all more interested in offices and bloody ice rinks.

And as for the sendings offs. If their( hopefully) getting 2 week fines for everyone ( as every bloody one has been totally avoidable and needless) then we will soon have the money to pay for phase 2 filling in the corners.
Pity no one will to come to sit there to watch the poo we dish up.

Rant over

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Lack of confidence, ill-discipline, silly mistakes and getting worse game by game.
Something's very wrong and it needs to be addressed now or we'll be back in League 2 by Xmas!

Luke McCormick - 4 At fault for two of the goals but not helped by what was in front of him
Gary Miller - 2 Generally poor. Gave the ball away leading up to the first goal.
Ryan Edwards - 5 Best of a bad defensive bunch
Sonny Bradley - 2 As per Edwards, until that ridiculous red.
Gary Sawyer - 4 Beaten too easily too many times.
Yann Songo'o - 4 Combined some good covering and ball winning with some terrible play
Jamie Ness - 5 Flashes of good coupled with flashes of bad
Antoni Sarcevic - 6 Best of a poor bunch
Ruben Lameiras - 5 Some nice moments but also gave the ball away a lot.
Alex Fletcher - 4 Plenty of effort. Little of anything else.
Nadir Ciftci - 5 There's a good player in there somewhere but he's keeping him well hidden!

Kyle Letheren - unused
Jakub Sokolik - unused
David Fox - 6 Pretty average
Lionel Ainsworth - 4 Did little but came on too late to have an affect.
Gregg Wylde - 5 As above but looked slightly brighter.
Joel Grant - unused
Nathan Bissett - unused

Dec 2, 2010
We played well the first three games of the season.....I came away from Southend thinking we've played three decent teams, four points, we will hold our own.

What then happened? The only thing I can point to is we brought Cifti in. Since then the wheels have come off in terms of results and discipline.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Mark Pedlar":1kqp9ljp said:
1) With two strikers on the pitch everyone assumed we would be playing two up front. No sign of Jervis, and Letheren got a place on the bench. As it was, we started with Ciftci wide on the left and Lameiras on the right with Fletcher through the middle. Argyle started brightly and Ciftci showed a lot more in his deeper role.

2) Argyle created a couple of chances but then failed to get the ball into a shooting position. It was the same old story of this season though. A Doncaster player appeared to be off-side and they forced a corner which we didn't defend very well before McCormick appeared to be fouled and Doncaster opened from the melee.

3) Referee had a fussy first 45 booking 4 players, 3 Argyle players for fouls (Miller for holding the only genuine one) and Doncaster for inciting the crowd. Sarcevic hit the goal support from distance and we had a couple of weak shots off target but we lost impetus after the goal and Fletcher didn't see much of the ball.

4) Songo'o had a poor first half. The rest of the team each had "moments" of quality and also bits of dire play. Miller and Ciftci alternately brilliant and awful. Lameiras played the Carey role perfectly - overplayed it quite a bit and gave the ball away and lot whilst still looking like the only player who would produce some sort of spark.

5) Another half-time wondering what formation change we would try for the second half. Fox spent the break warming up properly. Sure enough Fox replaced Songo'o at half-time. Now Argyle had 2 up front with a diamond midfield, Fox at the base and Lameiras on the point. Ness left and Sarcevic right.

6) The game didn't improve from an Argyle perspective. We couldn't get the game going although we had more possession. Doncaster win their second corner of the game and scored their second from it. Yet another situation wasn't dealt with. Argyle were looking flat and the two strikers neither quick enough or different enough to cause problems.

7) With no ideas on the pitch, Adams brought Wylde and Ainsworth for Ness (bizarrely) and Miller. 3-5-2 now with the surprise being that Ciftci and Fletcher would play the full 90. The game was crying out for a presence up front. Doncaster won their third corner and scored but it was disallowed.

8 ) The defence was now wide open. Doncaster added a 3rd with the defence in tatters. We couldn't even claim it was because we were pushing forwards. We won our first corner in the 69th minute and promptly had Bradley sent off. I have no idea why.

9) Awful game from an Argyle perspective with no confidence as soon as we conceded the first. The changes made little difference as there was no height for the crosses to find. Sometimes you can blame the players but this one was almost entirely down to Adams. Because of the sending off we ended up with Wylde and Ainsworth as full backs but the damage was done before that. The system has to change.

Luke McCormick - 6
Gary Miller - 6
Ryan Edwards - 7
Sonny Bradley - 3
Gary Sawyer - 5
Yann Songo'o - 4
Jamie Ness - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Ruben Lameiras - 7
Alex Fletcher - 6
Nadir Ciftci - 5

Kyle Letheren - unused
Jakub Sokolik - unused
David Fox - 6
Lionel Ainsworth - 5
Gregg Wylde - 5
Joel Grant - unused
Nathan Bissett - unused

I'm not sure how you've given Ness a 7, thought he was our main culprit in cheaply losing the ball.

Mar 23, 2008
I've tried to defend Adams but you cannot defend the indefensible. The results are not good enough, our home form embarrassing the the lack of discipline shameful. For the first time i would question whether its possible to dig himself out of such a large hole with such an average squad. Last year we lacked a real leader, a midfield captain to knit it all together and gee everyone up and the inability to address this issue alongside assembling a lop-sided squad is costing us big time.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Cobi Budge":1fxezy81 said:
Mark Pedlar":1fxezy81 said:

Luke McCormick - 6
Gary Miller - 6
Ryan Edwards - 7
Sonny Bradley - 3
Gary Sawyer - 5
Yann Songo'o - 4
Jamie Ness - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Ruben Lameiras - 7
Alex Fletcher - 6
Nadir Ciftci - 5

Kyle Letheren - unused
Jakub Sokolik - unused
David Fox - 6
Lionel Ainsworth - 5
Gregg Wylde - 5
Joel Grant - unused
Nathan Bissett - unused

I'm not sure how you've given Ness a 7, thought he was our main culprit in cheaply losing the ball.

I thought Ness was OK. It was Lameiras who was giving the ball away non stop. A 3 for him for me.

Mar 25, 2007
I thought Songo was our best player by far, kept them at bay far longer than we deserved. We looked wide open once he went off. Game of opinions innit? Fletch looked bright, Nadir held the ball well, Lameiras and Ness did ok, but we never troubled them. Extra training tomorrow: defending corners.