🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Nothing to lose now.

4-2-3-1 bland

5-3-1-1 bollocks

4-3-3 horseshit

4-1-4-1 dross

3-4-2-1 turd

Old fashioned 4-4-2. Keep Miller and Sawyer as fullback's. Carey and Fox on the middle, wingers out wide and Blissett with Fletcher up top. Ciftci water boy and Adams in the dressing room cutting up the half time oranges.

Altarnun Green

✅ Evergreen
Nov 27, 2005
We all know Miller and Sawyer (well Sawyer does try) are full backs who can't get forward and lack pace. So keep them in a flat back four and have 2 wingers who can get forward and attack. However, we really do have a problem in centre midfield where we are slow and all very samey. No ball winning midfielder. I just can't see where we can improve. What is really frustrating is that all the teams we have played haven't looked brilliant. Its just we have been pants.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Tugboat":10cegd6k said:
Carey and Fox on the middle
That wouldn't work. Just like every time we've played them as the deeper two in the current system it hasn't worked. There's no bite in that midfield.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
442 just doesn't suit the squad we have, we don't have a balanced midfield pairing, it would also mean shifting Carey out onto the wing where he's less effective. Our best formation is a 4231, with the striker properly supported.

Feb 17, 2017
I really think midfield is getting overlooked as a problem, we are focussing on the forwards, yes ciftci is yet to impress and fletcher clearly isn’t ready but look at the chances they’re getting. We have no width and no pace in the full backs so we need to play through the middle with skill and to feet. I do think fox or ness are good enough going forwards, they have no creativity. I think with 442 we will get over run in midfield not that we aren’t already, and Carey will have to play out of position.

Feb 23, 2008
4411 then, Carey in the hole, sarcevic or ness in the middle with fox as the defensive minded midfielder, two fast wingers such as ainsworth and wylde, take the game to the other side from the outset rather than the 4231, leave that for the cagey away games.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Am I missing something or didn't we play two up front for the second half? Not to mention for the first 25 minutes against Blackpool and the second half at Walsall too.

Truth is, right now we're crap whatever formation we play.

At least in the first few games, whilst we showed frustrating lapses in discipline and concentration as well as an inability to finish our dinner, we were by and large playing quite well.

In the last few games, we've shown frustrating lapses in discipline and concentration as well as an inability to finish our dinner...and have played badly in the process.

Jun 4, 2016
To he successful with a 442 these days you need to be good, really good. It's far to easy for a professional opposition to play against. Any opposition playing with 3 central midfielders and wing backs will tear it apart. I think that's why few teams use it any more.

Jul 6, 2011
In the Chelsea match Argyle weren't really in it until Blisset joined Fletcher up front and the whole situation changed, Blisset did the donkey work and Fletcher did what he does best and cleaned up with 2 goals (3 with the penalty).

Millwall went up last season using it so it can still be effective up to a certain level.
For example i watched them on tv last season being demolished by poccecapuccinos spurs in the fa cup.
They used a 3421 formation though it was so fluid it was more like 361 and they swamped
the lions in midfield. 6-0 and could have been many many more.
You do need 2 very strong centre mids for it to succeed. For eg Frio and adams both converted
centre backs. Coughlan and matthews from an earlier era similar types.
Also, it always tends to end up being more direct and therefore easier to defend as was
shown today with our direct hoofing to the 2 up top.